single most expensive repair you have ever done - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, single most expensive repair you have ever done in General Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the ...
    gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Re: single most expensive repair you have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the day, when ownership of high performance sports cars was relatively affordable we used to laugh at the apparent need that Porsche owners had to spend outrageous amounts of money on the maintenance of their beloved, but overpriced, "wunder" cars. The story went that a Porsche owner when presented with a bill for $65.00 (7 quart oil change on a Jaguar XK ran about $18.00 at the time) for an oil change on his 911, was heard to say "Are you sure that's enough!"

It seems that your BMW dealer is really "guilding his lily" by charging for reprogramming the car to use a factory authorized replacement part that he has already made a substantial profit margin on, not to mention his portion of the highly inflated "book" charge for the installation of the battery! I have long thought they the publics willingness to accept "superior German engineering" had more to do with the fact that they are charged outrageous prices by practitioners of that "black art!"
    I could have saved $150 or so by buying a battery at Sam's Club and having a buddy install it, but I like the peace of mind knowing that when it comes to the ridiculously complex electrical system of my car I have everything done properly. Here's a good read that explains how the system works:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Audi makes you go through a similar process.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry_Replacement

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

As far as one single repair. I guess I have been pretty lucky. Just a Clutch and slave cylinder in my 1991 explorer that I used for plowing. I paid to have it done cause it was winter and the thing went out 20 miles from home. Had to force shift it to get to a repair shop and run stop signs (lots of fun). I think it was like $500.

Now if you want to talk about lots of small things then that would be my motor in my 95 Impala. I probably put $2500 into chasing down stupid things the previous owner did, then it spun a bearing and I ended up putting a used motor in.

^ Believe it or not the dirty engine is the good engine.

^ Just for fun a pic of the car. Man I miss my Imp and only the good lord knows why. I had it for three years and only drove it 3000 miles because it was always broke.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Fortunately during my two year ownership of STS there was no major problem, however there have benn small things here and there ....My single most expensive repair was 398$ for AC leak. AAA shop tested my AC system, located the leak, and replaced the AC line with original part and then charged and sealed the AC system, everything for 398$.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Yes, in that area of engineering excellence, the Germans usually fail. But nothing else drives like a German car in good working order. There's a reason they've been the benchmark of engineering for other luxury brands for the last 30 years or so.
    Obviously you haven't driven an Italian car in good working order! When it comes to fun behind the wheel the Italians own the territory! Italian cars make Germans cars feel like the dead, overweight cars they really are. I admit BMW does a very good job of doing what Alfa Romeo does best, but a BMW still isn't the real thing. It is a shame that Italian and French cars have been absent from our marketplace for so long that young enthusiast don't have any experience with them!

memphisrep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

tranny rebuild on a 2005 nissan Maxima.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Most expensive? Probably trans swap on an '89 Eldo. It was also the most difficult I've done.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by OffThaHorseCEO View Post
    3200, new transmission for an 2004 SRX AWD
    The '07 'Lade is a higher mileage one and right after we bought it the trans had some issues. Took it in and it ended up being diagnosed as something about a pressure control solenoid failure which in turn caused excess pressure in the trans and took out some kind of piston assembly. These repairs alone were 3k so 3200 for a WHOLE transmission doesn't sound all that bad anymore these days! It was just barely covered under the extended warranty which has now more than paid for itself fortunately.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    The '07 'Lade is a higher mileage one and right after we bought it the trans had some issues. Took it in and it ended up being diagnosed as something about a pressure control solenoid failure which in turn caused excess pressure in the trans and took out some kind of piston assembly. These repairs alone were 3k so 3200 for a WHOLE transmission doesn't sound all that bad anymore these days! It was just barely covered under the extended warranty which has now more than paid for itself fortunately.
    i know but who likes to shell out the price of a good used small car just for a part lol. i only paid 3200 for my allante dang!

I got a few quotes and the guy who came highly recommended said 3200 for a new trans with 3 year warranty. i thought it sounded kinda high so i shopped around, everyone else wanted 3800 for a REBUILD. i went with the new

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.
    I believe this BMW service also includes a complete electrical system check. It's still outrageous but there is some value that isn't obvious.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.
    I don't get this iethere wow that was alot
    i have a friend who has a 2007 5 series and he had to get a battery ones i remmebr him telling me the outragous amount that the dealer charged for the battery itself but didnt say antying about needing it to be reprogrammed is this liek this on all the BMW's that are newer ?
    or just some models

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Yes, in that area of engineering excellence, the Germans usually fail. But nothing else drives like a German car in good working order. There's a reason they've been the benchmark of engineering for other luxury brands for the last 30 years or so.
    Id have to agree with this statment
    its true
    atleast in what i have experienced i know that i have never driven a Mercedes or known anyone who has owned one that caused trouble
    the lady who lives next door to me has a 1988 SEL model she must have lucked out it hasnt had to have anyting other then normal service since sh owned it she said
    not one thing has ever broken on it

i think they are great cars all exsept for the ML if i where to ever buy a Mercedes with my own money i dont care what it would be aslong as its not a ML i think those are crappy built vehicles for Mercredes

Quote Originally Posted by ejguillot View Post
    Most expensive for me? The powertrain refresh on my 2000 STS: headgasket repair with stud kit, replaced the transmission (got one with 70K fewer miles for $350), and for good measure installed a Yank Converters 3000 RPM stall torque converter)
    what was the cost of the headgasket repari with the stud kit u do it yourself or pay someone to do it ?

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The mechanical restoration of the Saab was over three grand.

As for single repairs, the $1300 timing chain guide on the Q45 was the most expensive. The pulley and front cover of the engine had to be removed. To save money, I took it to a NICO forum member in Iowa and had him do it in his garage. Had a great time too! He lived on a buffalo ranch with his dad and they treated me to a steak.

http://www.q45.org/jesda/iowa.html

Old broken plastic guides pictured on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    I don't even want to tell you how much the replacment engine in my Deville cost.
    was it a rebuilt remaned new at time from dealer Jasper new from GM when they where still making them new ?
    come on how mouch

5k 6k ?

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

I have an excellent track record with the used cars I buy. Out of the gazillion cars I've had, the most "would be" expensive repair would have been on my '98 Deville when the H/G issue occurred. Gladly I got rid of the POS and did not do the repair (this was pre-Jake) but I had already done many repairs to it by that point. If I pay anything less than $10k for a car I am happy to get 50k or so miles out of it. If it dies or starts giving problems I 'd junk it and feel I made out ok in usage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.