Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4 cylinder domination

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  trickedcadillac91 
#1 ·
This was on one of the regular sites I visit this morning. An interesting progression:

http://www.dailytech.com/FourCylind...ty+Grab+645+of+US+Car+Market/article20812.htm

Not sure of his sources, but the author of the article also revealed an interesting bit of info:

"even in the traditional midsize sedan market where most manufacturers offer V6 and I4 engine options (Camry, Accord, Malibu, Fusion, Altima, etc.) the take-rate for the I4 is well over 90 percent. "

I wasn't aware of the numbers listed in the caption for the Hyundai Sonata either. Impressive to say the least.

#2 ·
Makes sense to me. While I am an enthusiast who looks for the most powerful of each model, most aren't. Mid sized sedans offering 4 and 6 cylinder engines have almost always had a large proportion favoring 4 cyl variants. Add the rising cost of fuel and the increasing power and efficiency of 4 bangers, and it's a smart choice.

Also, it seems that V6 cars are automatics exclusively much of the time while most 4 cyl variants have been offered with a manual transmission for the underriding point of fuel efficiency. Many times the 6 cyl is not the enthusiast's choice. When I bought my '01 Accord coupe I bought the 4 cyl w/ manual as the 6 cyl was auto only. And while my fully loaded version was about $5G cheaper, it was not much slower while being better balanced and more agile.

Bigger is not always better. And if your 4 cyls are damn good, why not? And I know Hyundai developed the Sonata's handling dynamics for 4 cyl variants. It should be plenty powerful for most of us in the turbo version and handle very well, too.

#7 ·
I'm not surprised. Usually the smaller engine is the more popular option in any car, whether its I4 vs V6 or V6 vs V8. Over three quarters of Camrys and Accords sold are I4s, and its been that way long before oil shot up over $100 in 2008. Americans strongly prefer automatics mated to I4s, and tend to favor options like power accessories and heated seats.

Leaves more petroleum for my Northstar.

#9 ·
I'd still rather go for the V6 over a 4. Even a good 4-cylinder like the one in my '99 Accord, while having plenty of get-up-and-go, still had the unavoidable 4-cylinder moan on acceleration. Hoon on it to where the V-TEC kicks in, and it sounded damn good, but in normal driving, I was really getting tired of it by the time I sold it. Now that my niece is living in Oregon and I drive the car again on occasion, it's really noticeable, at least to me.

Since I plan to buy a CTS as my next car, I'll at least have a V6, and my experience with the 3.6 STS I rented in Arizona tells me I'll be very satisfied with that engine. I really, really like the looks of the Buick Regal (there was one in the parking lot at work the other day, and I checked it out), but I don't like that it's 4-cylinder only, even if there's a turbo option. I like the Sonata, too, but again I don't care for the 4-cylinder only choice.

I average 22 MPG in a mix of city/highway driving in the Seville and can get in the high 20s in straight highway driving, as I did the the 3.6 STS. That's plenty good for me, and some of these newer 4-cylinder cars are so heavy that the engines have to work too hard, and their gas mileage isn't that much better than what I get with my V8. Hell, when Edmunds tested the Regal 2.4, which has an EPA rating of 19 mpg city/30 mpg highway/23 mpg combined, they only averaged 19.9 and complained about the weak and noisy engine.

My Accord was light, and I averaged 25-27 MPG with it, but hit the low 30s in straight highway driving. A loss of only ~5 MPG for four more cylinders isn't a bad trade-off.

#15 ·
some of these newer 4-cylinder cars are so heavy that the engines have to work too hard, and their gas mileage isn't that much better than what I get with my V8. Hell, when Edmunds tested the Regal 2.4, which has an EPA rating of 19 mpg city/30 mpg highway/23 mpg combined, they only averaged 19.9 and complained about the weak and noisy engine.

My Accord was light, and I averaged 25-27 MPG with it, but hit the low 30s in straight highway driving. A loss of only ~5 MPG for four more cylinders isn't a bad trade-off.
:yeah:

#11 ·
Nissan offers a 2.5L Altima and a 3.5L Altima. You can get a 2.5 loaded up with all of the features of a top line 3.5SL.

With that being said, the dealer I work at does not stock any new Altimas with the 3.5 V6. They simply don't sell in sedan form, and they're a little better with the two doors, as the customer usually wants something sportier/quicker there.

#16 ·
My old honda accord was often compared to sounding like a train when it was moving at high speeds. of course I swapped the SOHC 2.2 out for a DOHC 2.2, added all the bolt-ons H/I/E, and also had the ECU chipped and street tuned. Here is the last video I had of her before I sold her when my 2nd son was born over 2 years ago cars were doing 95mph at start of video. Also on a note I still cant believe used to enjoy the annoying exhaust sound as much as I enjoy the sound of the cadillac now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.