The EPA, cars, and E15 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, The EPA, cars, and E15 in General Discussion; Originally Posted by EChas3 My '93 Roadmaster ran fine on most E10. There is a chain called QwikTrip around here ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: The EPA, cars, and E15

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    My '93 Roadmaster ran fine on most E10. There is a chain called QwikTrip around here and their gas caused that old 5.7 pushrod V8 to sound like a popcorn popper under nearly any but the lightest throttle.

I can't remember any other car having that reaction (other than an old Rambler). I think it's normal sound was a ping!
    I had problems with my 86 fwb when I put QT gas in it. the engine would randomly start knocking really bad, then it would vapor lock and cut out and make noise like it was blowing up (super loud engine noise like a diesel semi and sputtering). Thankfully nothing was hurt. when I would fire the car up again, it would run fineafter it got out whatever crap was left in the engine. it would give off some foul black smoke and have a rough idle for about 45 seconds, then it would run ok for a couple days, then do it again. I didnt use QT gas in either of my cars ever again since it made my car run like pure crap for 2 weeks until the tank was dry.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Well, the corn lobby transcends party lines. President Bush was an advocate of ethanol as well.

Ethanol can work if its sold without subsidies to local consumers, but once you start shipping it to the coasts by truck (it cannot be transported with pipes), it becomes quite silly.
    Corn liquor in gas doesn't have a chance with out the billions Washington props it up with.
    It's just not profitable. never was never will be.
    Its a entitlement for farmers.

Producing it the math doesn't work.
    Using it to save oil that math doesn't work.

The unintended consequence is it's driving up all food prices.

The environmental impact of ethanol production goes against the whole principle for using it in the first place-its dirtier than oil to refine.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

we all know that obama said he would stop the outragouse spending of money that bush had started i think or bush had taken over but then what the hell is it that obama has doen look how mouch more trillions in debt we are he has spend so much more freaking money come on
    anyone who gets in office next is gona try and cut all this shit out

i bet they will atleast try

you know yeah the corn was suffering and famers where suffering but why bail them out and not someone els eveyrone els was suffering also
    im sure there are other things they could have subsadized to help run fuel and all but

when it comes down to it
    we need to drill on our own land
    come on we have already screwed up the envorment there is no way to turn it around right now and save it for our children or childrens grand children
    only thing that would help the earth is the apocolips wipe us clean and start over

so come on just drill in our country whats the worst that happens the earth looses another 50 years lol

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

With gas above $3.00 (oil above $80?), its cost-effective to extract oil from shale and tar in Canada.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post
    Corn liquor in gas doesn't have a chance with out the billions Washington props it up with.
    It's just not profitable. never was never will be.
    Its a entitlement for farmers.

Producing it the math doesn't work.
    Using it to save oil that math doesn't work.

The unintended consequence is it's driving up all food prices.

The environmental impact of ethanol production goes against the whole principle for using it in the first place-its dirtier than oil to refine.
    Brilliant!

The quintessential federal program.

Quote Originally Posted by PupFromCleveland View Post
    we all know that obama said he would stop the outragouse spending of money that bush had started i think or bush had taken over but then what the hell is it that obama has doen look how mouch more trillions in debt we are he has spend so much more freaking money come on
    anyone who gets in office next is gona try and cut all this shit out

i bet they will atleast try

you know yeah the corn was suffering and famers where suffering but why bail them out and not someone els eveyrone els was suffering also
    im sure there are other things they could have subsadized to help run fuel and all but

when it comes down to it
    we need to drill on our own land
    come on we have already screwed up the envorment there is no way to turn it around right now and save it for our children or childrens grand children
    only thing that would help the earth is the apocolips wipe us clean and start over

so come on just drill in our country whats the worst that happens the earth looses another 50 years lol
    Little of what you try to say has any basis in fact. The air is cleaner than it was 50 years ago. Climate change is a hoax. Current known domestic oil reserves could fuel US needs for over 50 years and we could find a lot more if allowed. Alaskan oil production has promoted wildlife. Electric cars and even hybrids are ahead of their time; in fact they are a waste of resources in context of today's cost of oil.

Coal is only second to nuclear as a practical source of electricity. Wind and solar still need a breakthrough before they can be viable. Government subsidies and tiny improvements just aren't enough and we can't afford it. The search would continue because those that discover the breakthroughs will profit thereby. as they should. Profit is good. It combats sloth.

Believe as you like but the truth will set you free.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

solar is actually getting pretty viable now... imagine if every roof had some solar on it... cost doesn't matter due to economies of scale (and other reasons*)
    the efficiency of panel tech has been increasing lately too (as well as the modeling software to determine the most cost effective placement of panels on any given roof)

*there's even businesses out there now making money using the roofs of schools so the school doesn't have to put up the initial capital... they do have to wait for a few years before they get benefits but it is one way to get this kind of tech going without the burden of the initial costs
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    solar is actually getting pretty viable now... imagine if every roof had some solar on it... cost doesn't matter due to economies of scale (and other reasons*)
    the efficiency of panel tech has been increasing lately too (as well as the modeling software to determine the most cost effective placement of panels on any given roof)

*there's even businesses out there now making money using the roofs of schools so the school doesn't have to put up the initial capital... they do have to wait for a few years before they get benefits but it is one way to get this kind of tech going without the burden of the initial costs
    Sanyo's best panels are still under 15% and that leads the industry. Real-world results are about half that. Solar only makes economic sense when somebody else pays for the investment. I'm optimistic it will get figured out, but a breakthrough is needed before it will be feasible.

Even then, it takes 'Jet A' kerosene to fly.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

oh and the solar steam power stuff sounds promising too...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

At its current efficiency levels, solar only makes sense in the desert southwest, so its part of the solution for some people in this country. I doubt they're going to be putting up solar panels in Oregon or Washington state.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Energy sources..........heat...........home heat. Over here we're tapped into the Aquia aquifer for water - it's down about 150 - 275 feet. The water comes from the wells at 57 degrees forever. Some of us use a heat pump system which takes the well water, pumps it through heat pump coils, then back underground 200 feet away to a sealed reverse well to return it to the aquifer. There's a lot more "heat" to be extracted from 57 degree water than from 25 degree air...............FWIW the water in the Aquia comes from east of the Blue Ridge mountains. The water I pour into my bourbon started as ground water over there 10,000 years ago...........the rock and sand that the water flows through is so dense that even bacteria can't get past the first few miles of sandstone extrusion 70 miles west of here. Our well is 175 deep and can flow over 55 gpm.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Isn't the Aquia in danger of being tainted by the fact that it's so shallow relative Chesapeake Bay?

Geothermal is a great energy source for some. Iceland has no energy shortage.

I include Sub's concept. The high investment cost can mitigate some of the advantages but it is another renewable source of energy. I am excited by efforts to generate electricity from temperature differentials, like the deep-water ocean trenches.

But I still think that is a matter for private enterprise. Government allocation of capital doesn't work because decisions are made for political rather than practical reasons. This is too important to let government corrupt it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Isn't the Aquia in danger of being tainted by the fact that it's so shallow relative Chesapeake Bay?
    Not as far as we can determine from either voice or Internet communication with the Geological Survey. Maryland code now stipulates that any new development (since 2000) will tap into the much deeper Magothy aquifer - but that water needs heavy, dedicated treatment for calcium and iron. Our water - knock on wood - needs no treatment, even after 23 years on the same well. Some homes, west of here, have had problems with Chesapeake salt water intrusion, caused by marginally shallow well drilling into the Aquia - a cost factor in development development (?).

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Ah....gotta love livn' on the world's REAL (not oil) natural resource gold mine, the Great Lakes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.