Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it... in General Discussion; I love the name Fleetwood. It sounds fast (Fleet) and luxurious (wood), but it wouldn't sell nowadays. Maybe if they ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it...

I love the name Fleetwood. It sounds fast (Fleet) and luxurious (wood), but it wouldn't sell nowadays. Maybe if they made it a package or something for their full sized car, then it would work, but who knows.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Sal, what about asking about an android infotainment system that would compete with ford's sync/mytouch/whateverit'scallednowadays ??
    You mean the one Consumer Reports just trashed as being obtuse, slow to react and difficult to use? No thanks.

The current crop of Cadillacs, especially the SRX, have a very nicely integrated infotainment hub to control the Nav, iPod, Bluetooth, etc. Other than the voice control requiring too many command strings, it works beautifully.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    You mean the one Consumer Reports just trashed as being obtuse, slow to react and difficult to use? No thanks.

The current crop of Cadillacs, especially the SRX, have a very nicely integrated infotainment hub to control the Nav, iPod, Bluetooth, etc. Other than the voice control requiring too many command strings, it works beautifully.
    They do need to continually improve and innovate, however. It does seem that the electronics are just on the backside of what's revolutionary in today's markets. Computers are coming to the automobile. I want to see GM stay in touch, tis all...

Quote Originally Posted by D3l7a3ch0 View Post
    I work for a living--I'm not too good to buy used. The sooner these features show up, the sooner I get them :-) I'm already happy with what I'm looking to have in 2 years.. The '09, hopefully

Girls don't know my V isn't the latest gen, I get remarks all the time. Who's being smart? This guy.
    Nah, I'd use the word thrifty.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Consumer Reports is the LAST publication I trust to know SQUAT about anything they are reviewing, especially with the way they've incessantly trashed domestic marques up until very recently. I trust them even LESS on electronics and technology.

As someone who follows the tech industry obsessively I can tell you that Ford's Sync version 1 and MyFordTouch (version 2 of Microsoft "Car") are absolute marvels at what they do, and do it WELL. I could only wish that some of the foreign makes I like could get it half together enough to put such a seamlessly integrated and simple system in their cars. It is universally compatible with just about ANYTHING you can plug or Bluetooth into it, it increases safety by READING your incoming texts back to you on a connected Bluetooth phone, manages playlists, identifies playlists and a lot more. It is everything we had hoped to come to the automobile from an automation standpoint. In fact, if I had a single complaint about the whole thing it would be the fact that Ford has it locked in right now. And this is just version 2....

I do agree that you can not call anything "Fleetwood", "Deville", or even "Eldorado" anymore. That time has passed, but the need for a RWD V8 powered sedan (and I certainly didn't say it had to be a cush-mobile, just a proper entry into that market) is very real.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the navigation side of the infotainment system is severely lacking (in my opinion, and i'm sure i'm not the only one with such dour views of the nav system)

google's navigation app for android has got to be the best navigation experience ever - and they will pay GM to use it!
    it's called the less than free business model

and since android is opensource GM can add to it and change it how they see fit - instead of contracting with some other company (like they currently do with alpine) they could be in control of their infotainment destiny
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

The Nav unit could use some improvement, but dismissing CR scores is a mistake. Regardless of the fact they're a bunch of buffoons who know nothing about cars, a lot of buyers put stock in their opinions.

Like 'em or not, right or not, the manufacturers need to please them. A whole lot of the public believes what they read in that rag.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    For those that missed this: http://www.dailytech.com/Consumer+Re...ticle20561.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Consumer Reports is the LAST publication I trust to know SQUAT about anything they are reviewing, especially with the way they've incessantly trashed domestic marques up until very recently. I trust them even LESS on electronics and technology.

As someone who follows the tech industry obsessively I can tell you that Ford's Sync version 1 and MyFordTouch (version 2 of Microsoft "Car") are absolute marvels at what they do, and do it WELL. I could only wish that some of the foreign makes I like could get it half together enough to put such a seamlessly integrated and simple system in their cars. It is universally compatible with just about ANYTHING you can plug or Bluetooth into it, it increases safety by READING your incoming texts back to you on a connected Bluetooth phone, manages playlists, identifies playlists and a lot more. It is everything we had hoped to come to the automobile from an automation standpoint. In fact, if I had a single complaint about the whole thing it would be the fact that Ford has it locked in right now. And this is just version 2....
    well, hopefully MyFordTouch works. Many of the Ford guys have had their share of problems with the Sync system...

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

MFT is only the second version of the system, and Sync before it was so hotly demanded that it ended up being a brilliant way for Ford to continue pooping otherwise outdated Focii out from coast to coast.

They all have teething problems, but the intent and approach of Sync and MFT is on the right track.

blue07cts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None, Now an AUDI A4

QUALITY! As someone who bought both an 07,then 08 CTS brand new I would say the main thing that would keep me going back (as far as the actual vehicle's go anyways) is DETAIL quality, GM seems to have materials quality and drive train reliability going in the right direction it's in the details where they fall short, BOTH of my CTS's had rattles loose fitting trim pieces and cheap detail pieces of trim (like the fake chrome plastic around the speedometer area) on the 08 the drivers lumbar support broke at 33k miles causing the seatback to fall off, exposing the horribly cheap plastic lumbar system (witch also was attached with zip ties and used plastic gears). A friend of mine bought a brand new silverado last year and his seatback is already falling off and the headliner is sagging on the passenger sunvisor and around the a pillars. I think GM is getting there but they need to do all of there product testing BEFORE there new models are released and not on customer cars (even though I know that SOME issues must be learned by trial and error)

Overall I think this is where GM gets there poor quality reputation despite the fact that so many of there older vehicle's are still on the road, most without proper maintenece, it's the trim piece that falls off here, or never fit right in the first place, these are the area's where other manufacturer's have them beat in spades. Think of it this way, if you buy a new CTS and a new E550 and the CTS constantly sqeaks,rattles and has to go in for trim issues while the E goes in for a 1800 dollar censor, the CTS owner will bitch about poor quality way more due to the fact that they feel trim should be something any idiot could get right where as some censor they don't understand will be forgiven for perceived complexity and the fact that it simply failed, not annoyed them EVERY time the drove the car (as a rattle or fit issue will). I know I've rambled a bit but I think the concept of what I am trying to communicate is apprent

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I've never thought about it that way, honestly. That actually makes sense.

Though sometimes I think people like to bitch for the sake of bitching. But that's just my two-cents. I won't be in any position to buy a $50k+ car for quite awhile.

Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Damn I want one of those 6.3 E class wagons and the Panamera sure is whistling at me!

CTS pushrod V8 (sans supercharger) wagon could prevent me from going back to a furrin ride.

If I say it enough will they listen?

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

BUILD QUALITY. Please GM, get it right for a change. The last three vehicles we've bought ('07 CTS, '08 Tahoe, '10 SRX) have all been rattle-cans. This makes me crazy, and has guaranteed that I am moving away from GM for my next purchase. As others have stated, it's the quality and RELIABILITY that customers want for their money.

Oh, and as long as we're asking for the impossible, I'd like my "AMERICAN" car to be built in the USA.

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

Rattles in a newer modern Cadillac?? That should not be happening in such a expensive car, it's inexcusable.

Ford interiors feel a little nicer than GM at the moment. Hyundai is the most impressive at it's price point. GM is getting there, but "Getting there" or "almost" doesn't cut it anymore. The competition is too fierce to be lagging behind.

I didn't mention Buick, but I was very impressed by the La Cross when I was at the auto show. The interior's are really nice, don't care for it's exterior styling all too much, but they do seem more upscale than Cadillac as of now, especially for older buyers.

I think all auto manufacturer pretty much have performance and technology down, the only focus what's needed, is on build quality and better styling. That's it! How hard can it be for Cadillac to eliminate squeaks and rattles from their vehicles? Do they even test drive them first in case problems pop up, before they get shipped off to the dealers? If not, that is unacceptable for cars that cost as much as a down payment towards a house. Not to mention none of Cadillacs cars look like they are worth almost $70,000. Other than it's technology and engine specs, they are just regular mid size cars rolling around with the Cadillac emblems. Ok, now the V series got something going for them, but are they truly worth the asking price?

V6 engines are nice in all, but they really don't provide the huge performance gains like a V8 does. Your asking too much from a 3. whatever DI V6 supercharged engine to pump out over 300 hp. Adding that kind of stress to a motor with a low displacement is asking for trouble years later down the road. I still think another V8 is desperately needed in it's lineup as an option other than the 4.6 NS and the super 6.2. But it wont matter until Caddy finally decides it would be a good idea to build a "true" flagship vehicle again in the future with much edgier styling inside and out. The DTS is looking tired on the inside.

The only Cadillac I remember driving that squeaked and rattled it's ass off, was my 72 Deville. My 94 Fleet doesn't even make those kinds of sounds, none.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.