Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it... in General Discussion; Originally Posted by hueterm Assumptions are that the build quality and reliability are there -- which should be a given. ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Here's your chance to suggest something directly to GM - don't waste it...

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    Assumptions are that the build quality and reliability are there -- which should be a given. As well as appropriate and timely updates of their current offerings.

CHEVROLET is in pretty good shape:
    -- The trucks need more rear seat legroom, even if bed length has to be cut by a few inches. Just don't take it out of the front, like they did on the Tundra.
    -- A new compact pickup is needed. Think '80s Mazda B2000, only updated but cheap enough to be worth buying.
    -- Screw CAFE -- do not get rid of the Suburban/Tahoe/Avalanche.
    -- The Impala needs to be RWD, and a V8 optional. (Smaller Holden)
    -- A Caprice needs to be added that is bigger, RWD, and a V8 optional. (Larger Holden)
    -- REPLACE THE MONTE CARLO...
    -- The small cars and the sports cars are pretty much where they need to be.

BUICK/GMC
    (See notes on Chevrolet trucks)
    -- Bring over the large Holden RWD sedan and give it a premium interior and a V8 option.
    -- Make a new Riviera that is NOT that hideous 2 seater. Large, COMFORTABLE 4 seater, short trunk/long hood. Either V8 or 3.6DI powered.

CADILLAC is about to become a hot mess!
    -- Quit relying on the 18 versions of the CTS to save your bacon.
    -- REPLACE THE NORTHSTAR and make it optional for the XTS. (The concept was gorgeous...however V6 only is FAIL.)
    -- Make a SWB and LWB "Flagship/Sport'ish" sedan, RWD, V8 only (LS powered if necessary), positioned in between the LS and the 7-Series/S-Class. Price it between the Equus and the LS. If you think you're going to get 7 or S money, you're crazed.
    -- Make a Lambda CUV if you want, but not at the expense of the Escalade.
    -- Make a larger coupe that does not bow at the altar of the Infiniti G's rear end -- short trunk, long hood, V8 only, COMFORTABLE 4 seater...a true successor to the Eldorado.

If you're able to get this ship righted, then we can think of more things for you to do...

Oh, and give me back my stock that I got screwed out of.
    This.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

No offense, but why should GM listen to anything we have to say?

I've said this before, but 95% of this forum won't buy a new Cadillac off the showroom floor, whether that's because they can't afford it or because they refuse to take the depreciation hit of buying a new car. Most who have commented in this thread have admitted or displayed this in one way or another at some point.

Much of this forum is all about bang for the buck, value; comfortable, decent performing cars that don't break the wallet on initial buy-in. There's nothing wrong with that and that's why most of us have purchased our Cadillac vehicles used. However, this place is riddled with comments about how that is exactly the customer that Cadillac should NOT be chasing (and, arguably, ARE chasing with the current lineup), which is absolutely correct.

No doubt that there are some interesting ideas here, but we really don't have the money in our hands while foaming at the mouth, ready to it hand over to GM even if our ideas come real. That really doesn't make anything in this thread valuable to them. We are the enthusiasts, but only if it's cheap enough. We rattle off all of the ideas in this thread, and think about how great it would be to have one of these in a few years after they've been through the hands of the initial owners for some time. How does GM benefit from that?

Sal will go over there representing CF.com, they'll research us a little bit and find a bunch of threads about how most of us purchased our Cadillacs when they were 5+ years old for $15k or less: used.

Those that actually have interest in purchasing the said $80k Fleetwood or any of the other ideas new, from GM, are really the only ones that GM should be listening to. If those are the ones who have actually posted the said ideas, then great, I'll say no more. But somehow, I doubt that. Sal is really the only one here who I recall actually expressing the want to purchase a new Cadillac.

If they can't even sell our own ideas to us, the supposed enthusiasts, then why should they consider it?

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

I've said this before, but 95% of this forum won't buy a new Cadillac off the showroom floor, whether that's because they can't afford it or refuse to take the depreciation hit of buying a new car. Most who have commented in this thread have admitted or displayed this in one way or another at some point.

Much of this forum is all about bang for the buck, value; comfortable, decent performing cars that don't break the wallet on initial buy-in. There's nothing wrong with that and that's why most of us have purchased our Cadillac vehicles used. However, this place is riddled with comments about how that is exactly the customer that Cadillac should NOT be chasing (and, arguably, ARE chasing with the current lineup), which is absolutely correct.

No doubt that there are some interesting ideas here, but we really don't have the money in our hands while foaming at the mouth, ready to it hand over to GM even if our ideas come real. That really doesn't make anything in this thread valuable to them. We are the enthusiasts, but only if it's cheap enough. We rattle off all of the ideas in this thread, and think about how great it would be to have one of these in a few years after they've been through the hands of the initial owners for some time. How does GM benefit from that?

Sal will go over there representing CF.com, they'll research us a little bit and find a bunch of threads about how most of us purchased our Cadillacs when they were 5+ years old for $15k or less: used.

Those that actually have interest in purchasing the said $80k Fleetwood or any of the other ideas new, from GM, are really the only ones that GM should be listening to. If those are the ones who have actually posted the said ideas, then great, I'll say no more. But somehow, I doubt that.
    Oh, the irony...

There are plenty of people who post in the new sections of the forum -- A

The people here know about the product...good and bad -- B

And so what if a lot or most of the people here bought used...what do you think drives resale value? -- C

D, anyone?
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    Oh, the irony...

There are plenty of people who post in the new sections of the forum -- A
    Yes, very true. However, not many of them have posted in this thread, yet. Like stated before, GM isn't getting valuable feedback from those who purchase new: those who generate GM's profits. The point of being in business is to profit. A list of ideas from current and future Don's Auto Sales customers really won't benefit them...

As far as the irony, I don't hide the fact that I have no interest in buying new. I never have. That's exactly why I can appreciate the fact that most of us buy used. At the same time, I don't expect GM to treasure my opinion on their current position.

GM needs to retain those customers who have purchased new in the past and needs to attract those who are potential new-car sales in the future. Those who have already made up their mind that they will be going back to Don's Auto Sales (buying used) aren't of much interest.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    When they find a problem (like the Northstar head gaskets) for God sake jump on it and fix it ASAP. Lack of reliability (or even the perception of it) does more (and lasting) damage than any competitor could possibly hope for with advertising.
    yup i second this

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Bring back a few of the Old Body Styles personaly i like the older Impalas not the new body style ones
    Bring back the Eldorado And the Seville put a RWD in them or even a 4 wheel drive

build something that can show up to the LS the S make something that can lead flagship again

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Drew makes a good point. I've tossed my hat in several conversations here where members are calling for huge, floaty, RWD V8 sedans with tufted leather called "Fleetwood" to save Cadillac- because it's ludicrous.

Cadillac is headed in the direction of Mercedes and Audi, so even their flagship car is going to be a high performance car. It'll be called the XYZ or ABC, because words like Fleetwood and Eldorado bring up memories of gas guzzling, unreliable and poorly built cars today's high line buyers' grandmother owned.

The best feedback you can get for this is going to come from the new CTS and SRX forums, Sal, and most of that is going to focus on reliability, fixing quality issues like squeaks and rattles, and offering more content. The other sections of the forum, especially this one, are largely populated by people (with a few exceptions, of course) who are driving older GM products, are stuck in the past and think a huge Impala or Brougham would sell in today's market. The past is what nearly killed GM, people- time to move forward.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

D3l7a3ch0 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Black-on-Black

I work for a living--I'm not too good to buy used. The sooner these features show up, the sooner I get them :-) I'm already happy with what I'm looking to have in 2 years.. The '09, hopefully

Girls don't know my V isn't the latest gen, I get remarks all the time. Who's being smart? This guy.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Sal, what about asking about an android infotainment system that would compete with ford's sync/mytouch/whateverit'scallednowadays ??
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

I've said this before, but 95% of this forum won't buy a new Cadillac off the showroom floor, whether that's because they can't afford it or because they refuse to take the depreciation hit of buying a new car. Most who have commented in this thread have admitted or displayed this in one way or another at some point.

Those that actually have interest in purchasing the said $80k Fleetwood or any of the other ideas new, from GM, are really the only ones that GM should be listening to. If those are the ones who have actually posted the said ideas, then great, I'll say no more. But somehow, I doubt that. Sal is really the only one here who I recall actually expressing the want to purchase a new Cadillac.

If they can't even sell our own ideas to us, the supposed enthusiasts, then why should they consider it?
    I suppose that the 5% of us that can and will buy new cars that are on this forum are important to GM. Where else are they supposed to go? This is a great resource for GM and I'm happy to think that they might actually be using it and listening to us.

Put a pushrod V8 (LS3 please) in the CTS wagon and I'll buy one. This is the same comment I made when I drove one of the first CTS sedans. Cadillac did it and look what happened! I bought a CTS-V! Put a N* or a V6 in a Cadillac and I didn't/won't buy one.

Besides, how are you ever going to get your used Cadillac if someone doesn't buy a new one and use it all up for you?

SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham, Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

All I am trying to say is Cadillac desperately needs a flagship vehicle, the DTS isn't cutting it anymore.

I do like the XTS, hopefully Cadillac will make some small improvements before it goes into production.

The biggest problem for taller than normal car buyers today, is they don't have too many options when it comes to big cars with good rear seat leg room. Hopefully the XTS will have rear seat leg room of about 41-42 inches, to help big guys feel comfortable back there.

Even for families, the days of loading up your 4 door sedan with 6 people are over, even 5 is getting harder to squeeze in. I just want Caddy to have a car that truly is a flagship, no I am not asking for a massive Fleetwood size car like mine, but something slightly smaller that still has a presence (215 inches long), which could be called a Fleetwood or whatever FW or BRO maybe XTS Bro or XTS FW lol. The CTS, nor does the DTS give you that feeling.

They can work around the short length, by adding a lot of body to the exterior. Kinda like the 300, it's short and stubby, but still looks big and buff, this gives it a presence.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Because you are now a GM shareholder whether you like it or not.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

FTW would be a good name for a 'fleetwood' redesign ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Cadillac needs a full size, V8 RWD flagship to compete with the S Class/A8/XJ/LS, etc etc. I don't care what they name it, but it has to be:
    -Big (atleast 210 inches)
    -RWD (possibly offering an AWD variant)
    -V8 (maybe not standard, but definitely offered)
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Drew makes a good point. I've tossed my hat in several conversations here where members are calling for huge, floaty, RWD V8 sedans with tufted leather called "Fleetwood" to save Cadillac- because it's ludicrous.

Cadillac is headed in the direction of Mercedes and Audi, so even their flagship car is going to be a high performance car. It'll be called the XYZ or ABC, because words like Fleetwood and Eldorado bring up memories of gas guzzling, unreliable and poorly built cars today's high line buyers' grandmother owned.

The best feedback you can get for this is going to come from the new CTS and SRX forums, Sal, and most of that is going to focus on reliability, fixing quality issues like squeaks and rattles, and offering more content. The other sections of the forum, especially this one, are largely populated by people (with a few exceptions, of course) who are driving older GM products, are stuck in the past and think a huge Impala or Brougham would sell in today's market. The past is what nearly killed GM, people- time to move forward.
    Yep, I said that in another thread. Even if they made a world-beating large sedan, if they called it "Fleetwood" it would die. The past was great for big cushy vehicles that offered little in driving dynamics. That's the past.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.