Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My First Cadillac

894 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Stingroo 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, figured I'd stop for a second and introduce myself. (Felt guilty for all the questions I've been asking lately.) My name is Paul and I'm 18 years old and I recently received a 1996 Deville Concours from my grandparents as a graduation gift. They were kind of embarrassed at first giving me such an "old" car, but I couldn't be more thrilled with it. After-all, retro is back in style. (Ex. Dodge Challenger) It has roughly 80k miles on it and is running like a champ. (No signs of that troublesome head-gasket issue) *knocks on wood* It accelerates and shifts gears flawlessly,and it idles nice and calm as well. I can't think of anything that doesn't work for that matter, this car has been very well cared for.
This car means a lot to me, as any first car should, but its much more than that. This car used to belong to my great aunt, who was like a second mother to me. Since she never married and didn't have any children I was sort of an adopted son. I remember cruising around town in it all the time thinking it was the greatest car in the world. (My dads corolla was so tiny comparatively). After she passed away my grandfather inherited it, but kept it mostly as a weekend car, keeping it in a climate controlled garage most of the time.
Now that he's passed it on to ferry me to college everyday it is once again getting the love a great car should. Maybe in a year or two I'll retire it again to weekend status and use something plainer like a Kia for the dirtywork, but one thing will never change; I love this car, and I'm very thankful to have such a loving family thats willing to share it with me.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums! Good to see another person in our age group come onto the boards. There's a whole WEALTH of technical info (as I'm sure you've already noticed) and down here in the lounge there's laughs to be had, interesting car stories, and even learning to be done :lol:

That's a SHARP looking car... no reason to be embarrassed by it at all. :thumbsup: Besides, the important thing is, you love it. To hell with what everyone else thinks.

#4 ·
A nice story and a nice sentiment, it's always extra nice when a hand me down has special significance to the one who receives it! Glad you've joined us here at the Forum and hope you find it interesting and informative. Certainly there will be answers to questions you may have about you Cadillac. Welcome to the Forums and best of luck in your college career!

#6 ·
Welcome! I bought my '92 deVille when I was 17 and I remember how cool it felt to have a big sexy Cadillac when you're that age.

G
#12 ·
You didn't get this car because someone in the family likes you, you got it because someone loves you. I may buy my kid a N* Cadillac when the time comes as well. The more he spends fixing the car the less money he will have available for drugs and alcohol. :lildevil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.