Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! in General Discussion; Still going to say its a bastard. I know why you did the BBC, but IMO I would've just stuck ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege!

Still going to say its a bastard. I know why you did the BBC, but IMO I would've just stuck with the olds motor and just made it a nice cruiser. I know horsepower on the cheap and simple was the goal, but IMO that was too nice of a car to hack up, I would've kept it numbers matching and factory original color.

Something about an all original car, or one restored to stock specs just appeals to me, even if it isn't the most awesome combo the factory offered.

But as the saying goes, "to each their own", and its your car. Your mods are at least very tasteful, if not my style.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    OK, how do you mount the engine? You built your own mounts? Did you use the cradle that that you got from Chev or used the old Pontiac cradle?
    I removed the bottom motor mounts from the crossmember and installed 2 mounts from Summit racing that were made to swap a Chevy into an Olds. Those mounts were only $61 shipped. They sell mounting kits like this to install LSx motors too. I will think about an LSx 6 speed conversion in the future as it sounds easier than I expected. Once that was done it was a simple drop in. Remember that the Cutlass, Chevelle, GTO, and Buick GS were all basically the same car. The 700r4 went in easily too. I had to drill 1 new hole in the transmission crossmember and move it forward an inch or 2 and it went right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Still going to say its a bastard. I know why you did the BBC, but IMO I would've just stuck with the olds motor and just made it a nice cruiser. I know horsepower on the cheap and simple was the goal, but IMO that was too nice of a car to hack up, I would've kept it numbers matching and factory original color.

Something about an all original car, or one restored to stock specs just appeals to me, even if it isn't the most awesome combo the factory offered.

But as the saying goes, "to each their own", and its your car. Your mods are at least very tasteful, if not my style.
    Actually this is a SBC not a BBC. I don't like keeping them stock, never did. Even though it had a small Olds motor dropping in a Chevy still removed at least 100lbs from the front end. I grew up reading Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines. I really have no interest in "matching numbers" and all that. Aside from the cost factor of building an Olds there is also the scarcity of parts and it's frustrating to deal with. I have respect for people that believe these old cars should be kept stock but they have no respect for my point of view, lol. This whole post would have been banned in most Olds forums. It's just stupid.

If you really want to know how anal I am about keeping it stock, I think I'm going to have the stock tape/cd player for my Caddy sent out to be fixed. I got an aftermarket JVC in there now that sounds great and hooks up with my i-pod, but it drives me nuts that is not the factory original. Plus the single DIN radio looks like crap in the double DIN opening.

I'm all about modding newer cars(my Camaros weren't stock) but I really just hate hacking up older original cars. I mean its survived 40+ years in its relatively original state from the factory, why change it? Now if its not numbers matching, or already hacked up, let the mods begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    If you really want to know how anal I am about keeping it stock, I think I'm going to have the stock tape/cd player for my Caddy sent out to be fixed. I got an aftermarket JVC in there now that sounds great and hooks up with my i-pod, but it drives me nuts that is not the factory original. Plus the single DIN radio looks like crap in the double DIN opening.

I'm all about modding newer cars(my Camaros weren't stock) but I really just hate hacking up older original cars. I mean its survived 40+ years in its relatively original state from the factory, why change it? Now if its not numbers matching, or already hacked up, let the mods begin.
    You can put an aftermarket double din in the Caddy. My car was a great cruiser in stock form with a decent "punch" when the gas was hit but it started to bore me. I didn't "hack" anything up. It can easily go back to stock or have another Olds motor put in it. Hacking to me is cutting or modifying something to the point where it is not possible to bring back. A motor mount change and its done.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I agree with D, so long as the original parts are retained and the thing can be put back to stock, have at it. At that point it's a "resto-mod" that respects the original, and resto-mods still go for BIG money in some cases.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

I might have "hacked" my Cadillac just a little bit (in respects to the engine mounts) but it was to get rid of the blown HT4100. I think that's justified. :P

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    I might have "hacked" my Cadillac just a little bit (in respects to the engine mounts) but it was to get rid of the blown HT4100. I think that's justified. :P
    Put a 572 Chevy in it and you will be a hero over here. Not the same in "Olds" forums. I think we have a bit more of a realistic crowd in here. I've seen N* Cadillacs with transplanted Buick S/C 3800's swap in here with good response. I've seen a RWD 572 Chevy in a '00- Deville greeted with open arms. It's all about making your car better in all regards. A motor that is easier and cheaper to fix and maintain is aces with me. A drivetrain that has massive aftermarket support, cheap maintenance and unrivaled performance for a massively discounted price, is my master.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Put a 572 Chevy in it and you will be a hero over here. Not the same in "Olds" forums.
    Ha, the funny thing is, I put an Olds engine in it!

I think Cadillac hacked it up from the factory with the HT4100. I see no shame in putting any sort of better GM v8 in cars equipped with boat anchor emissions motors(ie 305 carbed chevys, 307 olds, HT4100, 301 Pontiacs, etc), regardless if its division correct.

Ha, the funny thing is, I put an Olds engine in it!
    Oldsmobile motors are great reliable motors just pricey and tricky to build up.

^ Yes, I found that out first hand! Fortunately Comp made a cam/valvetrain kit for mine. It was more expensive than a Chevy, but I think it's a great fit for my car. Can't wait to fire it up this spring!

Progressing ever so slowly but finally got the motor done, now I need to get it to an exhaust shop for the dual exhaust and flowmasters. Did a custom dash install which I think is looking good. Installed a floor shifter, new carpet and put in a box with 2 12's and hooked up 3 amps. Tomorrow I'll have the Mercedes power seats installed and hopefully all the gauges working etc..........

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Are you planning on adding A/C or going without it?

It's a convertible and all, but FL humidity without A/C has to SUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Are you planning on adding A/C or going without it?

It's a convertible and all, but FL humidity without A/C has to SUCK.
    I decided to do away with the A/C. Car had all the components sans the compressor but it wasn't working. I really don't need it cause I will use the car mainly for going to the beach and cruising on nice days only. I did the dash this way because I didn't need the old A/C controls, vents or the center speaker in the dash. I did need a nice set of instrumentation to monitor the vital functions of the motor...........

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.