Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! in General Discussion; Well hell, I wouldn't be painting my car until the summer anyway. Soooo.......
    Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege!

Well hell, I wouldn't be painting my car until the summer anyway. Soooo....

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Any update Destroyer?

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

The car is coming along quite well. Sorry that the paint isn't quite the quality you were hoping for though. It still looks good in the pics, so maybe just don't let anyone get too close to it to nitpick the paint . I like the color on it too, but I'm a little surprised, somehow the grey makes it look longer to me.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

No real updates. The guys started to wet sand and buff it. Many of the mistakes are being buffed away but I'm waiting to see it fully done. Other than that the project has come to a grinding halt till all the parts come in and I get the warehouse next to me to finish it next month.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

Somehow I'm reminded of Milhouse from The Simpsons trying to explain to Bart what he loves so much about kissing his new girlfriend. To paraphrase:

"It's not just the kissing. You know when you get an Eskimo Pie, and you wait just a little bit for the ice cream to melt."

Sometimes having to wait makes the passion stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by billc83 View Post
    Somehow I'm reminded of Milhouse from The Simpsons trying to explain to Bart what he loves so much about kissing his new girlfriend. To paraphrase:

"It's not just the kissing. You know when you get an Eskimo Pie, and you wait just a little bit for the ice cream to melt."

Sometimes having to wait makes the passion stronger.
    I hope it works out that way. The car was a perfectly good cruiser that always got thumbs up and comments of the sort and somehow I turned it into a resto-mod project. Anyway, the Oldsmobile community absolutely despises me for putting a "Chevy" motor in it but logically speaking, it was the easiest way to get big hp for little (or nothing in my case) money. Today the guys finished wet sanding and buffing it. I have to say it came out looking sweet, especially when you consider how cheap it was. I did pay them substantially more than they asked simply because of the amount of work they put into it and because I'm just that way. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow.

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Looking forward to it. Glad it's not a disaster after all.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Without reading threw the thread......Olds big block power can't be denied. Oldsmobile had cross over manifold exhaust that had to be eliminated but they were screamers. The hottest motor was in the TORNADO in 1969. Free manifolds pumping EX. I don't know about W30 ,W31 69 Toro was 400hp+ It was all plus those days. 428 Fords were rated 330hp but did 600HP with very little help. All of the underrated HP & more important TQ.

This is a SOHC 389 Pontiac, You Know this is 500hp underrated

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I hope it works out that way. The car was a perfectly good cruiser that always got thumbs up and comments of the sort and somehow I turned it into a resto-mod project. Anyway, the Oldsmobile community absolutely despises me for putting a "Chevy" motor in it but logically speaking, it was the easiest way to get big hp for little (or nothing in my case) money. Today the guys finished wet sanding and buffing it. I have to say it came out looking sweet, especially when you consider how cheap it was. I did pay them substantially more than they asked simply because of the amount of work they put into it and because I'm just that way. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow.
    Glad to read that at the end you are happy with the paint job.... I have not seen the pics of the car after sanding/ buffing, however just based on your description I wish I was in florida to ask those guy to fix the paint blemishes of my STS....

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Glad to read that at the end you are happy with the paint job.... I have not seen the pics of the car after sanding/ buffing, however just based on your description I wish I was in florida to ask those guy to fix the paint blemishes of my STS....
    Well, here are some pics. My paint guys came through and were able to sand and buff away most of the problems that really concerned me like runs and dirt in the paint from a crappy spray booth. Car turned out really well. I still have to put the chrome back on but this is what it looks like now.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post
    Without reading threw the thread......Olds big block power can't be denied. Oldsmobile had cross over manifold exhaust that had to be eliminated but they were screamers.
    I do not deny that. I would prefer to have kept it Olds powered but I cheesed out and am putting a Chevy in it. The Chevy is much cheaper to build, yes, but that isn't the only reason why I am doing it. I like the parts availability of the Chevy and the aftermarket support associated with a Chevy. I went with a '70 .30 over 455 on my last '67 coupe. Loved it but it was an unwanted PITA to get parts for and the car was a bit nose heavy because of the motor.

Minor update. The motor/trans are finally in the car. Interior will go in next. Starting to look a little less like a project and more like a car again. Got the bumper and chrome trim on too. Amazing how dusty and dirty it got in my warehouse over the last few months. I have not had the time to work on it and I'd like to get it done soon. Anyway here's a pic or 2 of the motor in the car.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Do want.

OK, how do you mount the engine? You built your own mounts? Did you use the cradle that that you got from Chev or used the old Pontiac cradle?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.