Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by ga_etc Why do the Olds guys freak out over transplanting a SBC? The Pontiac and Buick guys ...
    Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Re: Gonna "Chev" the '67 Olds. Sacrilege!

Quote Originally Posted by ga_etc View Post
    Why do the Olds guys freak out over transplanting a SBC?
    The Pontiac and Buick guys are the same. It is cooler to run a BOP motor IMO but on the other hand, it is so much easier (and cheaper) running a Chevy motor. I am glad I am going this route this time. Did the 455 thing with my last '67 Cutlass and it was great but won't do it again. The small Chevy will make the power I want and not make the car so front heavy too. This is a pretty good example of a '67 Olds with a built Chevy.......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...54798e41#v4-37

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

The next time someone asks, tell them you're putting in a 3-cylinder Geo motor because fuel mileage is your biggest concern.

An SBC suddenly becomes a little less heretical...

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

I have a buddy that rebuilds Chevelles and Impalas (one of his Chevelles sold at the last Jackson Barrett for $62k) and even he is starting to get away from the traditional small block Chevy 350 in favor of LSx based power for his personal cars. Cheap, easy power is hard to pass up even for the die hards.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiV View Post
    I have a buddy that rebuilds Chevelles and Impalas (one of his Chevelles sold at the last Jackson Barrett for $62k) and even he is starting to get away from the traditional small block Chevy 350 in favor of LSx based power for his personal cars. Cheap, easy power is hard to pass up even for the die hards.
    An LSx motor is appealing and may happen down the road but it also kinda takes away from the simplicity I enjoy about old cars. Go to any drag strip USA, the carb'd cars are still the fastest. With an LSx the major advantage would be driveability, mpg and so forth. This is a toy for me, it only goes to the beach and pleasure cruising now and then. I really don't care so much if it only gets 5-10 mpg. It just has to look/sound good and shove me in my seat when I hit the gas.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

I agree on the simplicity of old engines, and if it's set up correctly, driveability is fine. No, Betty doesn't always fire up immediately and may stall when the engine is cold, but it's not any big deal. I did modernize with the THM700R4 when the Powerglide was dying, but it doesn't feel much different to drive, and I do like how the RPMs have dropped 800-1000 at highway speeds.

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

+ 1 more vote for the simplicity front. That's what I love about the Roadmaster. It's just a straight forward old car. The most complicated electronics on it is the climate control. I really and truly love the Eldorado too, but both cars have completely different personalities. I love the driving dynamics of the Eldo and the instant on demand power of the N*, not to mention the sound it makes. It is eat up with electronics though. I bet there's 2 miles worth of wiring in that car. I feel very safe in the car, but there is something to be said for a car that you can work on in the driveway.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

That Suburban is pretty straight. Unusual as Chevys are usually rust buckets and riddled with holes - particularly trucks of this series. I'd seriously think about upgrading the Suburban to Cadillac power, like a built 472 and have something that can really haul the weight.

Here are some more pics of the car today. I gutted the interior, patched a couple of small holes and am waiting for my paint guy to be ready. The side molding are off the car, it has no motor/trans/interior in it. It looks absolutely pathetic and I cannot wait till its running again.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Wheels are still bitchin'.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

^That = Truth

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Nostalgia is great- but this day in age, especially in Canada where fuel is around $1.00/liter ($3.78 per gallon), fuel economy is a great thing to have along with good acceleration.

If you can have the best of both worlds, fuel economy and good acceleration, it's worth any changes that are necessary. 700-R4s are a great way to help older vehicles achieve this. 3.06:1 1st, and a .70 OD. The 200 4R is a .67 O.D., which may help even a bit more -and some, if not most of those transmissions were unicase.

I had a 403 4bbl, headers, and a 200-4R in my '85 Parisienne. Passing power was plentiful, so was tire-roasting torque, and fuel economy was around 18-20 MPG if I managed to keep foot out of the throttle.....

Right now I'd gladly trade off that 455 of mine for another 403. Something about that oversquare bore made it pretty efficient, even with that low compression ratio.

Destroyer I'd normally have to say "keep the Olds in it" but really, it seems you're making a wise choice. That 383 should move that Olds.....

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Holy shit $3.87 a gallon? That sucks. I paid $2.75 this morning.

billc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours

^ That's because Florida is so close to the Gulf of Mexico...

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Regular down the street from my house is currently $2.66 a gallon. Premium is $2.92, of which I think I'm fixing to go buy about $50 worth. The Eldo needs a drink...

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Nostalgia is great- but this day in age, especially in Canada where fuel is around $1.00/liter ($3.78 per gallon), fuel economy is a great thing to have along with good acceleration.

Destroyer I'd normally have to say "keep the Olds in it" but really, it seems you're making a wise choice. That 383 should move that Olds.....
    Well gas is a bit cheaper here but it makes no difference. Having owned many carb'd and many fuel injected V8's, I can honestly say the gas mileage is not THAT far off. Not like many think. Stock carb'd V8's really were not bad on gas. What I'm putting in the car is a different story, it wont be good on gas and I couldn't care less if it only gets 2 mpg. It isn't my daily driver and will just be a toy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.