• Keep Volvo S60 T5

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Saab 9-3 Arc/Vector/Aero sedan

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • WILDCARD: Find another Lincoln LS V6 w/Manual

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Pick up Chinese food on the way home.

Votes: 11 52.4%

Another silly "What should I buy?" thread.

3K views 73 replies 18 participants last post by  gdwriter 
#1 ·
Got the Volvo back from the dealer today. New fuel pump, new electronic throttle module, bump stops adjusted to lessen wheel rub (those OEM 17s are a surprisingly tight fit), timing belt checked for wear -- it was recently replaced and is in good shape. All of that was free thanks to Volvo's warranty extension and recall and the generosity of Brentwood Volvo.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of test-driving a bright red 2005 Saab 9-3 yesterday and loved it, even though it was the less powerful base model Linear with the crap sound system and light pressure turbo. I also dicked around at the Saab dealer the day before and played with some newer 9-3s just to get a feel for the clutch and shifter.

SO... here's my dilemma. I have a serious itch for yet another Saab, a 2003-2005 9-3 sedan.

---

ARGUMENTS IN FAVOR OF KEEPING VOLVO:
Cool pop-up navigation display capable of playing iPod video if I decide to be irresponsible and purchase an input adapter.
Truly OUTSTANDING Dolby Pro-Logic sound system
A mountain of torque, responsive turbo
Smooth and comfortable ride
Really outstanding seats
Seriously good fun to romp on. I-5 turbo makes a beautiful sound.
SMELLS AWESOME INSIDE
ONE OWNER. I think it was a Jewish lady based on the name, and she took excellent care of it.

ARGUMENTS AGAINST KEEPING VOLVO:
Heavy clutch
Notchy, heavy shifter
Not enough communication from suspension or tires
Steering is accurate in routine driving but needs more feedback
Suspension isn't as tight as it ought to be (fixable)
A bit too "adult"

---

ARGUMENTS IN FAVOR OF BUYING A SAAB 9-3 ARC/VECTOR/AERO:
Snickety shifter feels just like a Mazda
Light and easy clutch
Responsive chassis, built on GM Epsilon platform. The whole car feels light and eager to play.
Neat looking interior with option of white leather and door panels and BUTTONS GALORE (I'm 12)
Lots of discounts through Saab Club North America, of which I am a dues-paying member
Very little torque steer
Possibility of another road trip :)

ARGUMENTS AGAINST BUYING A SAAB 9-3:
Waste of another $450 in taxes, inspection fees, and registration
Some GM-ness all around
More things to fix on another used car
Interior and overall build quality not as good as Volvo
Audio system inferior to Volvo
No navigation
Seats not quite as supportive as the Volvo

---

TIED:
Snow traction
Fuel economy
Resale value (poor for both, not much further down to go)
Maintenance costs (somewhat high for both)
Styling
Serviceable by my regular all-Swedish mechanic, which includes free pickup and delivery.

---

WILDCARD: Lincoln LS
RWD
A bit short on power, Duratec V6 is overwhelmed
Clutch feels heavy
Shift pattern is odd, reverse is to the left of first gear
A bit heavy, but within reason considering the size of the car
Shifts reasonably well with short throws
Gobs of comfort
Outstanding platform
Excellent steering and handling
Very difficult to find with the right price and condition
Sound system is completely forgettable
No nav
Big American sedan + manual transmission = Awesome
Interior is well made with high quality leather and beautiful wood trim, but it smells like a Mercury Sable :/

---

CHINESE FOOD
MSG is bad
Too much salt
Good value for money
Broccoli beef sometimes includes broccoli that isnt fully cooked
Sweet and sour chicken is occasionally too sweet without enough sour
Feels good, man

See less See more
#6 ·
Chinese food trumps Lincoln LS, Volvo probably more confortable than Saab or Chinese food on long road trips, Steering on Volvo trumped by almost anybody else's steering feedback except a 1960's Chrysler or Ford product, sell both the Saab and the Volvo and get an Alfa Romeo and pick up girls while doing your new "Jesda Does .... video show"!

#9 ·
You got all that crap on the Vulva (hide your eyes, Drew) fixed for free today -- you SO don't need to get rid of that car, unless you can make money on it.

#10 ·
Yeah, I agree. I myself like the Volvo more (there, I can be adult and play the PC game too), and you just got all that stuff fixed on it for FREE! You note that the Volvo has better seats, a better sound system and more power. Considering how much you like road trips, I'd keep it just for those three reasons.

#11 ·
None of those 9-3 positives outweigh the Volvo positives (or negatives, for that matter.....)

Ian, please hit him in the head w/a newspaper.....

#13 ·
I voted for Chinese. Too bad you're all the way over in St. Louis. The local Chinese place in Independence is terrific. I still have half a carton of House Special Lo-Mein from Sunday in the fridge at work for lunch tomorrow.

And I'd keep the Vulva for now. Unless selling it and buying a 9-3 would be a wash in terms of money. But you'd have to make sure you found one in as nice a shape as the Vulva, which has now been given a clean bill-of-health. That and what sounds like a generous warranty extension and recall tip the scales in favor of the Vulva.

#14 ·
As stated, the logical thing to do would be to stick to the Volvo. However, your list of cons for the Volvo are all related to it's driving attitude and feel...isn't the joy driving it the point of owning this (or any) car? Your list of pros for the Volvo are pretty short sighted if you ask me. If you need to sit in a comfortable seat and relax, go inside and sit in the lazy boy. If you need to hear the sound of an i-5, youtube is your friend. If you want to have a blast driving a car that feels great, it sounds like the Volvo falls short...and there's no alternative.

You say you love how the Saab drives and that's what really counts. If you are looking for a more pleasing daily driver for yourself, I think you just found it.

Going against all logic, screw the Volvo.

#18 ·
You have 2 cars...

Go to Mandarin House -- 170/Page or House of Wong -- Olive W. of 270. Mandarin House is better, though...

#19 ·
#26 ·
I say keep the Vulva. It's a good looking car, well maintained (seemingly), good power, and excellent hwy mileage. If another SAAB must be had, I say trade in Ducky, even though I know that's blasphemy. I like Ducky, but that 3 speed auto is archaic, as best.

#27 ·
Saab brought Jesda into the world of Swedish automobiles, and Saab will take Jesda out of the world of Swedish automobiles.

#28 ·
Considering you just got the Volvo, what has it done to displease you so rapidly that you must be rid of it? And, owning one Saab is quaintly eccentric. Owning two at once indicates severe pathology.

Owning a Volvo and a Saab simultaneously means you own stock in Birkenstock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.