Aside from Cadillacs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Aside from Cadillacs? in General Discussion; Aside from Cadillacs, in all their guises, is their another carmaker that has consistantly produced cars that you just had ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Aside from Cadillacs?

Aside from Cadillacs, in all their guises, is their another carmaker that has consistantly produced cars that you just had to have?

In thinking about what I have owned and what I wish I had owned, the products of certain carmakers keep recurring on the list. This isn't to say the some brands haven't had one or two attractive models. BMW 2002s and '80s 6 series coupes come to mind. But I am really thinking have consistantly produced one after another of truly desirable cars.

Two makers immediately spring to my mind. Jaguar and Alfa Romeo. While Jaguar definitely petered out in the 1970's, their post WW II models were really something unique. Starting with the XK120 and the Mark VII sedans in the late forties and early fifties and continuing on with the E-type and Mark II 3.8 & 4.2 litre sedans in the sixties and finally the original and absolutely brilliant XJ6 sedan. All exceptioanlly beautiful cars that set performance standards for others to follow. That isn't to say these cars didn't have there faults, but when it came to setting new standards for beautiful design, excellent handling (for their day) and exciting performance the Jaguar cars produced under the Sir William Lyons supervision were outstanding.

Unfortunately in the 1970's, after Sir William retired from the scene and Leyland took control, and on to the present Jaguars became just a rehash of former designs which lost some of the purity of design to regulatory requirements and over embellishment. Unfortunately this decline, which may be scene as other car makers catching up with and superceding Jaguar's strong points, while Jag languished.

The other company that, in my mind, has consistantly produced great cars that combined great performance and style would be Alfa Romeo. From the Giulias and Duettos of the '60s to the Milanos and 164's of the 80's and 90's, on to the 155's and 159's and Breras of the new millenium. All have shown beautiful design, exciting performace and super smooth feel and operation, in my experience only equalled by Cadillacand Jaguar, and to a lessser degree BMW.

What makes a car desirable is always subjective, but the above two makers always sem to come up with sometning to keep me coming back. The new crop of XK's from Jaguar and the 8C's from Alfa can get me thinking about a bew car when most of what is offered today leaves me yawning and reaching for a yachting magazine!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Re: Aside from Cadillacs?

aston martin.
    triumph

F

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    aston martin.
    triumph

F
    There's a gorgeous British Racing Green TR6 in my neighborhood I would love to have!

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

What was my 1980 TR7

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

rolls-royce.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Jaguar, but I've never had the daring/patience/means/insanity. I've drooled over them since forever.

The Mazda Miata has been a favorite of mine since I was a child. I remember I was at a Mazda dealer in the early 90s; my parents were shopping for a minivan. My metal jacket button was tapping the sheet metal of a 1990 Miata and the salesman asked me to back away. Somehow, I haven't yet gotten around to owning one. Great cars, all of them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Hmmm.... aside from Cadillac....

I really like Buick, and I think from the '50s to the current day, there's a model produced in almost every year that I'd buy. When most other automakers hit rock bottom in the mid '80s, after everything had lost their power, speed and style, Buick stuck it out with the Grand National, a car that was faster than contemporary Corvettes. Buick to me has always been a slightly sportier (aside from the recent 5-6 years), less gaudy, cheaper Cadillac.

Same with Lincoln too. In the early '80s, when they didn't have any power out of their V8's, they atleast looked great and were able to be fun to still cruise around in. When those awful Continentals hit in '88, they still made the cool Town Car and sporty, fun Mark VII LSC. I always really liked Lincoln, but not as much as Cadillac.

Mercedes Benz as well. There's a Mercedes from most eras (aside from the dark days of the early '00s) that I'd be happy to buy.

Oh, and of course, Chevrolet. Their model selection is so wide, it's hard NOT to find a car you like from any certain year.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 CdV Spring Edition;92 Brougham d'E 305;98 Seville STS

I know it's a Ford, yet I've long fancied the 1984 Lincoln Continental. (I think this model was even available with the famed Ford Turbo Diesel.)

What intrigued me most was the interior/instrumentation. Very advanced and modern-esque. Plus, the "Continental" script on the passenger side of the dashboard was backlit illuminated in green at night, which was too cool... but not as cool as the electroluminescent crests on the sail panels of the early '90s Fleetwood Sixty Specials!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Fan View Post
    I know it's a Ford, yet I've long fancied the 1984 Lincoln Continental. (I think this model was even available with the famed Ford Turbo Diesel.)

What intrigued me most was the interior/instrumentation. Very advanced and modern-esque. Plus, the "Continental" script on the passenger side of the dashboard was backlit illuminated in green at night, which was too cool... but not as cool as the electroluminescent crests on the sail panels of the early '90s Fleetwood Sixty Specials!
    Ford diesel in a Lincoln? They used a BMW diesel in the Mark VII in 85 or 86 - someone should check the years to be sure. I don't believe the diesel was available in the Mark VII when it was introduced in '84.

Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 CdV Spring Edition;92 Brougham d'E 305;98 Seville STS

Bro-Ham, this is all I found after a cursory search:

http://forum.love-fords.org/showthre...l-Turbo-Diesel

the diesel was in the original brochures from Lincoln, I would bet maybe 6 were sold.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

RR and Bentley. Elegant, well-tailored designs that just ooze class.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I love Porsche. I've drooled over 911's since I can't tell you when. I love how Porsche has kept the overall design philosophy the same ever since the first generation 911 and how every generation keeps getting better and better. I also like Honda's for there overall simplicity and reliability (most specifically the 90's Honda models like Prelude, Civic, and Accord) and how they are so well built they outlast many cars still on the road today while still offering more fun than any run-of-the-mill Toyota.

Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Aside from Cadillacs? Other cadillacs.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Chevrolet for me, and that's seriously the only brand I can think of that fits the criteria.

From Corvettes, Chevelles, wagons, Monte Carlo Aerocoupes, Impalas, Camaros, etc. etc.

There are so many cars I LOVE from Chevrolet. I think I'll have at least one in my garage until the day I die.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.