Aside from Cadillacs? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Aside from Cadillacs? in General Discussion; ^ Agreed....
    V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Re: Aside from Cadillacs?

^ Agreed.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

I'd like to get one of the mega hp newer Mercedes AMG cars. I also have a desire to own a BMW just because it's one of the few brands that I have never owned. The newest 7 series appeals to me.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

For me, I agree with Chad; I love Buicks. There are decades worth of body styles and models to choose from. Good examples include Riviera, Skylark, Regal, Y job concept, Lucerne, Enclave.

Pontiac has quite a few models that were great performers for their time, but were still easily afforded. It didn't matter whether it was a Le Mans, a GTO, a Gran Prix, a G8, or, most legendary of all of them, a Firebird Trans Am.

GMC: Yeah, I know, they are rebadged Chevrolets, but they stay around because they fill in the pickup segment the same slot that Buick has always filled for cars: affordable vehicles that stay a noticeable cut above GM's volume brand, yet manage to stay just below Cadillacs in luxury. See the Sierra, Colorado, and Yukon.

Chevrolet: If any brand is the All-American brand, Chevrolet has got to be it. No one has made longer-lasting trucks, or, in my opinion, more handsome ones. When the last Toyota Tundra is being hauled to the scrapyard, an old Silverado HD is probably going to be towing it. Models I love: Silverado, C/K series, Colorado, Tahoe.

They've also made some wonderful performance cars, some of which are still legendary, and will always be so. There is the Corvette, America's genuine rival to Europe's supercar giants for 1/3 or less of their price. There is the Camaro, which can be had as a stylish semi-economical personal car, or a genuine track monster. There was the Chevelle SS454, LS6, which represented the height of the muscle car era.

Dodge: I have a soft spot for Dodges. Dad used to run a small roofing business, and the truck he used more than anything else was a Ram 2500 or 3500 with a Cummins turbodeisel. He sold one of the first ones he had, and spoke to the owner years later. The new owner had squeezed 800,000 miles out of the truck before it died, and even then, that was the truck falling apart: the engine was still useable! Dodge also has a legendary performance history, whether you're talking about 440 Six Pak-
    and 426 Hemi-equipped Chargers, Coronets, and Challengers, or modern Chargers and Challengers. There is also the Viper, the rawest, most pure supercar ever built in America.

Jeep: GaryD is going to kill me, but I love the Wrangler. It has stayed true to it's warrior heritage since day one, and I think Jeep will always keep it that way. If I have to go through some nasty terrain, I want a Wrangler 4x4. I'll also take a Grand Cherokee.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

There are a lot of Cadillacs that appeal to me, most of them, in fact -- more than I can detail here.

I think that in terms of quantity of vehicles per make, Buick would probably be second, with the number of Riviera models that I love. And then Mercedes third, primarily w/the SEC/CL/S coupes.

Then probably Lincoln for the Marks, then Oldsmobile for the Toronados and Pontiac for the Grand Prixs and Bonnevilles are tied. BMW would probably bring up the rear with the old 2001 generation 7 series and the 8 and old 6 series.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Affordable: Chevrolet
    Unobtainable: Ferrari

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Oh, and I'm a classic Nissan fan. I categorize anything before Renault as "classic Nissan".

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

So you're digging on my brother's '96 Sentra, with it's classic Nissan style and hugely powerful 1.6L twin cam 16v four cylinder?
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

How can anything be considered "classic" Nissan. They were Datsun first. I loved my old 280Z but all of the Datsuns were rust buckets! I think that is why they changed their name. Like Kentucky Fried Chicken going to KFC to disguise the "fried" connection.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    So you're digging on my brother's '96 Sentra, with it's classic Nissan style and hugely powerful 1.6L twin cam 16v four cylinder?
    The only Sentra that matters:

The B13 Sentra SE-R. Ridiculously good fun for stupid cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    How can anything be considered "classic" Nissan. They were Datsun first. I loved my old 280Z but all of the Datsuns were rust buckets! I think that is why they changed their name. Like Kentucky Fried Chicken going to KFC to disguise the "fried" connection.
    I loved the old Zs, but they were determined to disintegrate into a pile of brownish-orange dust. With a car company as recent as Prince/Datsun/Nissan, the line that distinguishes modern from classic is more recent.

My Nissan era had the:

G50 Q45

Z32 300ZXTT

S13 240SX Convertible

And Maxima

After Renault's much-needed but excessive cost cutting programs, their cars were never the same. The trucks arguably got better though.

They've been pushing bolder French-influenced designs (notice the Megane rear end on the new Leaf), hoping that no one will notice the dip in quality. I've definitely noticed. Except for the Titan and 370Z, I trust a modern day Nissan no more than a Dodge.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC View Post
    Jeep: GaryD is going to kill me, but I love the Wrangler. It has stayed true to it's warrior heritage since day one, and I think Jeep will always keep it that way. If I have to go through some nasty terrain, I want a Wrangler 4x4. I'll also take a Grand Cherokee.
    Nah, I won't kill you. Or even beat you up. I actually respect the Wrangler for it's unmatched capabilities as a 4X4 and for staying so true to the original. However, I would find one to be a nightmare as a daily driver, noisy and uncomfortable and not particularly nimble or responsive on the winding roads I enjoy.

As I like extended road trips, I would probably feel beat up from the rough ride and my ears ringing from the wind noise after several hours in an open Jeep at highway speeds. Rick obviously thinks that's fun; I think it's torture. But he thinks my FWD, automatic Seville is boring, and I think it's great fun to drive as well as an exceptional high-speed touring car.

As for makes other than Cadillac, Chevrolet is a given since I own one and I'll have Betty until the day I die. And there are Corvettes of different generations that I'd like to own: a '65 small block, a '70 and a C6.

I'll add Buick to the list because if I could buy a second classic car, it would be a first-generation Riviera, preferably a '65 Gran Sport with a dual-quad Nailhead.

And if I didn't have to worry about the cost of maintenance and repairs, I'd include BMW. My friends' Z3 that I spent a weekend with is probably the most fun-to-drive car I've driven in nearly 30 years of driving. And I've always liked the 1998-2005 E46 3-Series. The current generation has grown on me.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    However, I would find one to be a nightmare as a daily driver, noisy and uncomfortable and not particularly nimble or responsive on the winding roads I enjoy.

As I like extended road trips, I would probably feel beat up from the rough ride and my ears ringing from the wind noise after several hours in an open Jeep at highway speeds. Rick obviously thinks that's fun
    Oh geez. You just opened up a can of worms.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    If you could get one of those long wheel base last generation 2-door models for anywhere close to cheap, I might consider it as a 7th car to drive the dog around town in, or in case of the apocalypse and we have to escape into the woods. I could leave it outside, uncovered, and not have to widen my driveway. Nor have to deal w/the dog crate.

I might even drive it to and from work, since my drive is 90 seconds. However, I couldn't enjoyably drive it any distance.

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-JE...146dfb3a#v4-38
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Wranglers are reasonably easy to drive on the highway. And if the top gets noisy, just open it. Its a convertible after all.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I know.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. We'll see if Rick rises to the challenge, although the more he writes, the less I read.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

A friend of mine had a '98 Wrangler Sport back when we were 16-18. Around town, it was OK to drive around in, especially in summer, because it was cool to drive around in a convertible, especially on hot summer nights. But there was no room inside, it rode rough, it was exceptionally noisy on the highway, and it was SLOOW (2.5L I-4 + 5 speed manual). With the stock tires, it wouldn't exceed 80, and with his 32" off road tires, it wouldn't hit more than 70. I guess if that's your thing, then cool, but it's not my cup of tea.

Back then, between taking his Jeep to his cabin 100 miles away and having him pay for gas, or driving my Roadmaster up there and me paying for all my gas, I'd rather drive my car.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.