Purchased a Jaguar on a whim
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Purchased a Jaguar on a whim in General Discussion; I've wanted a convertible for years, really liked the XK8... last week I drove by one parked on the side ...
    97DevilleBeige is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

I've wanted a convertible for years, really liked the XK8... last week I drove by one parked on the side of the road, made a u turn, and there was a for sale sign in the window. I fell in love instantly.

So... before I bought it I brought it to my mechanic who checked it out very crudely (he was afraid to touch the car). All seemed well but for a slight oil leak.
    ...after I bought it, I brought it to a Jaguar dealership to inspect everything and see what it needs. $3600 quote for the most urgent things:
    Replace radiator hose
    Replace lower ball joints
    Replace 2 motor mounts
    Alignment
    Inspect right rear marker light.

What wasn't included at that price, but suggested:
    Antenna mast loose
    Cam cover gaskets leaking
    Lower valance broken
    Front sway bar bushings
    Emission service
    Power steering/brake fluid flush.

Brought it to a different mechanic right afterward, and he checked everything out, saying all he suggests is replacing the upper radiator hose (which I had him do for $130). Nothing else is critical, just keep an eye on them.

All in all I'm still satisfied with the purchase and makes me smile just thinking about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

Jags are easy to fall in love with and the XK8 is especially appealling! What year is your Jag and how many miles does it have on it? If you really want to keep this car I would start saving money for a repair and maintenance reserve. $5000. in an interest bearing account should be your lowest objective.

I always advise anyone contemplating the purchase of a used Jag to have it check out thoroughly by a knowledgeable and reputable Jag mechanic. Also when buying a used Jag there is really no such thing as a bargain, going down the Jaguar road it is always best to buy best one available; if one of these is not within your budget, lower your sights. As has been said many times on this forum, "An $80,000. is no bargain if you can't afford to maintain it and the parts and maintenance on an $80,000 will still reflect the cars initial cost."

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

Never been a huge fan of Jags, but thats a GREAT lookin' car!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thats such a ridiculously beautiful car. I was very strongly looking at a late 90s XK8 last year. It was a teal colored one in California.

I'm not sure how I ended up with a Saab instead. Oh yeah, the giveaway price. I think the Jag I looked at was previously in an accident too, which is why it was so cheap. I think they wanted 7 grand.

Few cars look as classic and timeless as the XK when the top is down:

I actually like how the roof folds into a tall pile of hardware on the rear deck. Its very old-fashioned and unique. The whole car is stunning.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

I love the looks of Jaguars, but I'm too chicken or cheap to consider owning one. Hope you enjoy yours, though.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Nice, congrats! One of my friends has an XK, but his transmission just gave out. Hopefully you got a somewhat reliable example.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

That XK is really sexy.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Do you have any pictures of the interior? I love the ear-to-ear wood dashboard. It looks like the cockpit of a biplane.

Orconn: The car is a 98 with 115k miles. I used to be all about low mileage when buying cars, inspected the hell out of them, etc, and when I did that on my DeVille with only 40k miles on it, I needed to replace the engine. So this time around, I said screw it, just get one in good condition, regardless of miles.

Jesda: No pics of the interior yet, but I'll work on that today.

Question for you guys... occasionally while driving around 30-50 MPH, when I press on the gas lightly, I get a grinding noise coming from the back by the tires, I let go of the gas, and it goes away, sometimes, when I re tap the gas it'll happen again, but most of the time it goes away. What do you guys think that could be?

itschrome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

Quote Originally Posted by 97DevilleBeige View Post

Question for you guys... occasionally while driving around 30-50 MPH, when I press on the gas lightly, I get a grinding noise coming from the back by the tires, I let go of the gas, and it goes away, sometimes, when I re tap the gas it'll happen again, but most of the time it goes away. What do you guys think that could be?
    wheel bearings? Also those cars have several problems that every one seems to get. On being the e-brake coming loose causing the shoes to rattle or grind when under acceleration. Often this noise is identified in the rear down by the tires. But i'm no mechanic or jag expert. just throwing that out there. Also if you ever hear a loud grindin from under the hood stop ASAP and turn off your car. the timing tensioners are made of plastic and wear out, when they do they Fubar your engine.

Nice ride though BTW. Hope it doesn't sink ya! then again look what forum we are on, haha.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Your story sounds very similar to what happened with my Jag experience - I was 21 years old, semi-dropped out of college, working in a truck factory, and living in a apt/rooming house we owned in West Chester. Drove past Speedcraft in Devon one day, there it was sitting out front. Primrose Yellow E-type convertible. V12 and all... I paid 7K for a 1-year old Jag that was $14K new, had only 6,000 miles on it. Had the car for about 16 months, and apart from a loose door hinge, a bad fuel level sending unit, and one little thermostat thingy in the emission controls, had no problems with it. Sucked Sunoco 94 like it was water, and an oil change took 12 quarts, but that was a very smooth powerplant for the time. Considering I traded up from a Volvo P1800.. lol

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

The XKE is still the sexiest car on the planet. Like any love affair, they are expensive to maintain

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

With all due respect, that's a nice car (not my cup of tea), but I hope you have a lot of fun with it! Nothing like owning a high line European car, especially at a young age! Is it true that Ian Callum designed the XK8 AND all the Aston Martins since the DB7?

I saw a pretty nice looking Jaguar V12 convertible from the '80s yesterday. Were those called XK12's or are those the older ones?

Thanks Chrome for the help. Guess what happened today on my ride around town running errands? The "Handbrake Applied" warning popped up even though it wasn't... I guess I know what that is now. Thanks everyone for the well wishes, and as promised, here's a few more photos:
    Attached Images

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Those Jags sure are pretty! Do some research on the 97-99 V8 engine. They have a problem with some kind of a lining on the cylinders, or some such thing. I think they were improved around 2000 or so.

I had a 99 Vanden Plas that I bought about 5 years ago. It had about 50k miles when I bought it. Engine seized shortly after, towed to Jag dealer. Luckily the car had the Jaguar certified warranty on it and the whole engine was replaced for me at no charge! They didn't tell me how much the bill was. I felt so lucky, like I had a brand new car, that I kept the car past the warranty period. That was a really bad error in judgment since the transmission went out at 80k miles a couple years later. That was $5,500 to replace with a new one - out of my pocket, warranty had expired.

Hopefully the acquisition cost was low on your car because replacing an engine or transmission in one of these early V8 Jags out of warranty will make you wonder if you should fix the car or just buy another one. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.