Purchased a Jaguar on a whim - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Purchased a Jaguar on a whim in General Discussion; Motorweek LOVES EVERYTHING "Hi I'm John Davis. This is Motorweek. Today we're taking a look at the stunning new Hyundai ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

Motorweek LOVES EVERYTHING

"Hi I'm John Davis. This is Motorweek. Today we're taking a look at the stunning new Hyundai Excel."

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

"This new, award winning, stunning Daewoo Lanos is sure to win over many Honda owners with it's sexy styling, european inspired performance and sterling reliability reputation."
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Motorweek's John Davis "dorkissimas" of the automotive journalistic (?) world!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    "This new, award winning, stunning Daewoo Lanos is sure to win over many Honda owners with it's sexy styling, european inspired performance and sterling reliability reputation."
    Hahahaha.

97DevilleBeige is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

UPDATE:
    Head gasket. Oh God... why me? Sigh. It's not that bad. I needed to have the primary and secondary chain tensioners changed out eventually (within a year or two) and that would have set me back like $2k. This is $3,500 including a lot of bundling of other little odds and ends I've been putting off. So for $3500 he's doing head gasket change including all tensioners, spark plugs, any replaceable part inside while he's in there will be swapped. He will also swap out the ball joint/control arm I supply him, change sway bar bushings. Replace clips on my wood grain dashboard that broke and cause it to be loose. Replace door panel clips which makes the door feel loose when I close it.

I'm not as irritated as I should be because I knew I was changing those tensioners sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by 97DevilleBeige View Post
    UPDATE:
    Head gasket. Oh God... why me? Sigh. It's not that bad. I needed to have the primary and secondary chain tensioners changed out eventually (within a year or two) and that would have set me back like $2k. This is $3,500 including a lot of bundling of other little odds and ends I've been putting off. So for $3500 he's doing head gasket change including all tensioners, spark plugs, any replaceable part inside while he's in there will be swapped. He will also swap out the ball joint/control arm I supply him, change sway bar bushings. Replace clips on my wood grain dashboard that broke and cause it to be loose. Replace door panel clips which makes the door feel loose when I close it.

I'm not as irritated as I should be because I knew I was changing those tensioners sooner or later.
    Damn, when I said it sounded an awful lot like the N* overheating pattern I was hoping I'd be wrong!

At least you get a shit ton of work done for the same price it costs to do JUST the HG job on the N*

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    Damn, when I said it sounded an awful lot like the N* overheating pattern I was hoping I'd be wrong!

At least you get a shit ton of work done for the same price it costs to do JUST the HG job on the N*
    Still, the repair is more than the worth of the car.................

Hmm... Yes and no. Imagine all the people that have been saved a potential headache by the advice given by Ranger or Submariner, AND our tech section BEFORE they went out and blindly bought a N* Cadillac.
    Hmmm, it depends. If someone like Ranger, Sub and the gang bought their cars new and THEN sold them with no troubles to ME for example and I had the issues............they walk away satisfied (aside from resale value) and I get stuck with the POS. Both Ranger and Sub are here because they think the N* is a great motor (both are wrong). This is what happened to me. My buddy needed money bad and sold me the Deville. He was happy with the car that provided his family many miles of good service. After I got it, it was ready for a break down. He got lucky and I didn't. This is what you get for trying to help a friend out.................. I would NOT have considered the car a POS had I not discovered this was a major problem with these motors. If my case was rare I would just say it was an unlucky situation. I consider these cars crap because of what I have found out since. Both Ranger and Sub are great IMO and provide everyone with outstanding advice but when they recommend a N*........................I don't agree.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Hmm... Yes and no. Imagine all the people that have been saved a potential headache by the advice given by Ranger or Submariner, AND our tech section BEFORE they went out and blindly bought a N* Cadillac.

For something like a Jaguar or a Range Rover or any kind of specialty car, the forum goers tend to be real enthusiasts, not just the complainers. You can save thousands of dollars by going their first to seek recommendations on best years, what years to avoid, what features to avoid etc.

By contrast, review sites tend to extoll all the positive virtues of a vehicle, but unless they do a solid 1 year long term test, can't really speak to ownership costs or how the car will handle over the years. One good source of information too is the Edmunds OWNER reviews section for each vehicle. I find they tend to be well balanced, and if a car is REALLY a good car, people WILL go there to gloat about it. And yes, if a car has problems, they will definitely post those too.

As for the S Type R, I haven't heard any terrible things about them. Jesda's right, I mean it's basically just a fancy LS V8 with a supercharger, but it is worth getting a good background from a group of enthusiasts.
    In terms of reliability, I go to forums to find out what will break most often. Buying a known reliable car does not guarantee yours will be reliable. Buying an unreilable make doesnt mean that you'll spend most of the time on the side of the road. Used vehicles are always gambles. I agree with you when you say the forums are great sources of info on which years and options of that p[articular model are the best choices. Other than that, I take everything as opinion and anecdotal evidence.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Okay, I fully expect at least ONE person here to sign up at my awesome new site. Do it.. For the good of Cadillac Owners dot com.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Okay, I fully expect at least ONE person here to sign up at my awesome new site. Do it.. For the good of Cadillac Owners dot com.
    It is done

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    hehehehehehe, ****ing Scrooge McDuck signed up on your new site, sorry, that is some funny shit

JackOcean is offline Cadillac Owners Member

congrats, nice looking car. I still love the old XJ as well.

2005CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Beautiful car! I love that body style, I was looking for one when I bought the CTS last year,I got a really good deal on the Caddy and snatched it up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.