Purchased a Jaguar on a whim - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Purchased a Jaguar on a whim in General Discussion; I can't disagree with Bro-Ham, having owned several Jags alongside Cadillacs, I have to say the Cads were much more ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

I can't disagree with Bro-Ham, having owned several Jags alongside Cadillacs, I have to say the Cads were much more reliable and cheaper to own. Jags are wonderful soul food and if they speak to you, by all means take the plunge, but be aware of what you are getting into; the engine weaknesses are more numerous thanalready described here (plastic timing train components and their ills ran over many years and were, supposedly corected only in the late 2000's). The cars that the buyer on a limited budget are able to afford fall into years when attemts to correct these problems were piece meal at best during these years. As for independent Jaguar shops, yes they are cheaper than Jag dealerships (which run a very close second behind those of Mercedes) but profient highly skilled labor doesn't come cheap these days. Over the last fifteen year I have found independent foreign car garages to be over priced and under warranteed (at least at my Cadillac agency "Mr. Goodwrench" stands behind the parts and in most cases the labor used in the repair). All this being said Jaguars do things Cadillacs don't and if what they do is worth it to you by all means take the plunge!

Rocket88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Pontiac GXP

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    The engine problems existed in 1997, 1998, and 1999. My car with the bad engine was a 1999. You are optimistic about Jaguar standing behind the problem - I was told I would be out of luck if I didn't have a warranty, which I was lucky enough to have. Jaguar didn't stand behind my faulty transmission. I'm over 21, all part of the fun.
    2.5 model years? Is that better?
    They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made. Compared to a N*, for instance, which after a decade and a half may still not be totally right, I would say Jag did a much better job.

Don't expect any manufacturer to replace a worn out transmission after the warranty is done.

I found just the opposite to be true. Although these cars drive well and look sexy they are, nevertheless, English cars and they break all the time and cost plenty to fix. If you don't have a little corn tucked away in the silos for the many rainy days you'll inevitably have when you own a Jag then you'll be in deep weeds as you spend your hard earned money that came from your blood, sweat, and tears. Buy a Jag if you're in love but realize the reality of emotional difficulties you'll have if you get the lucky number and your car collapses into pieces and you just realized that the money you keep trying to put into a 401k continually evaporates going to pay for your independent English car mechanic who, you'll find, lives in a far nicer house than you do.
    Again, I could say the same about Cadillac. Beautiful cars, but NOT cheap to run once the warranty is over. I near enough gagged when I priced out a set of Magnaride struts/shocks for a 2003 STS. I have an independent mechanic I deal with who is actually pretty darned good, and he finally threw in the towel after the "great deal" STS he fell in love with started overwhelming him with repairs.

Luxury cars are wonderful things, but none of them are cheap to fix when they break.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
    They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made. Compared to a N*, for instance, which after a decade and a half may still not be totally right, I would say Jag did a much better job.

Don't expect any manufacturer to replace a worn out transmission after the warranty is done.

Again, I could say the same about Cadillac. Beautiful cars, but NOT cheap to run once the warranty is over. I near enough gagged when I priced out a set of Magnaride struts/shocks for a 2003 STS. I have an independent mechanic I deal with who is actually pretty darned good, and he finally threw in the towel after the "great deal" STS he fell in love with started overwhelming him with repairs.

Luxury cars are wonderful things, but none of them are cheap to fix when they break.

Yup! Yup! Yup!

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

They went on sale as 1998's and by MY 2000 the change was made.
    The Jaguar V8 came out for 1997 in the XK8 Coupe and Covertible models, then 1998 in XJ8 Sedans. So 1997, 1998, 1999 - that's 3 years before the improvements you say happened in 2000.

I got my 99 Jag VDP in 2004 with 53k miles under Select Edition, or some such fancy named Jaguar pre-owned extended warranty program. It was quite shocking to lose the engine immediately, luckily covered by warranty - then unbelievable to lose the tranny a couple years later for an American Express blazing $5,500. That was a ton to spend considering I sold the car for $10k shortly after the repairs were completed, in 2007. Imagine what a quandary a 99 Jag owner would be in today with a bad engine...or a tranny, when these cars are worth so little - buy 2 of them.

That's pretty true. Try a 77-79 Cad with a 425 - they seldom break and are dirt cheap to fix. I am probably certifiably insane for all the money I've spent in my life paying humorously obscene repair bills on some of the cars I've been fortunate enough to have owned. At this point in my life my old 79 Cad is a divine pleasure for its lack of drama.

Cocktail hour!!!

Back in the 1980's there was a saying that in order to enjoy your Jaguar you had to buy two ... one to drive while the other one was in the shop!

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

This thread makes me not want a Jaguar even though I think they make some damn sexy cars. I HATE unreliable cars. It's not just the money part, it's the damn inconvenience it causes........not luxury at all to me. Thus my dislike for N* Cadillacs. I'll pick up a Jag like this for $700 and drive it till it dies, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    This thread makes me not want a Jaguar even though I think they make some damn sexy cars. I HATE unreliable cars. It's not just the money part, it's the damn inconvenience it causes........not luxury at all to me. Thus my dislike for N* Cadillacs. I'll pick up a Jag like this for $700 and drive it till it dies, lol.
    With any luck at all a $700 Jag should give you about 500 miles ... that's if your luck continues to hold!

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Rocket88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Pontiac GXP

The Jaguar V8 came out for 1997 in the XK8 Coupe and Covertible models, then 1998 in XJ8 Sedans. So 1997, 1998, 1999 - that's 3 years before the improvements you say happened in 2000.
    Ain't what *I* say happened. It is what happened. Jaguar had problems in the early years. They fixed them pretty darn quickly I would say, and that problem has no popped up again.

I got my 99 Jag VDP in 2004 with 53k miles under Select Edition, or some such fancy named Jaguar pre-owned extended warranty program. It was quite shocking to lose the engine immediately, luckily covered by warranty - then unbelievable to lose the tranny a couple years later for an American Express blazing $5,500. That was a ton to spend considering I sold the car for $10k shortly after the repairs were completed, in 2007. Imagine what a quandary a 99 Jag owner would be in today with a bad engine...or a tranny, when these cars are worth so little - buy 2 of them.
    I find it funny to see comments like this on a Cadillac site. Sure, $5500 is a huge amount of money for a transmission. But, how much would a GM dealer charge to rebuild a 4T80. Gonna be scary expensive also. Their are independent transmission re-builders out there who would have done that job for about half of the $5500 you paid.
    Since when is resale value the ultimate determiner of how much it is worth investing in a car you love.

That's pretty true. Try a 77-79 Cad with a 425 - they seldom break and are dirt cheap to fix. I am probably certifiably insane for all the money I've spent in my life paying humorously obscene repair bills on some of the cars I've been fortunate enough to have owned. At this point in my life my old 79 Cad is a divine pleasure for its lack of drama.

Cocktail hour!!!
    You pays your money.....

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

is the tranny really worn out at 100k miles or did something break like a cracked piston or bad internal solenoid that requires a teardown to fix? is the design so shaky that numerous parts are actually worn so it requires many expensive parts to fix? i just wonder when the service manager gives you the estimate to fix the trans and he says it is "shot". what does that mean?

How are you doing with your new Jag?

97DevilleBeige is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

Sorry Orconn for not responding... I haven't been on this site for a while. I still have the XK8 and I kept the DeVille for winter driving. The XK8 does have some problems, and while really annoying, all of my bad feelings go away when I walk out of the house and see the car again.
    So far, here's whats gone wrong:
    Engine has been intermittently overheating... the strangest thing that mechanics haven't been able to diagnose. What's odd is that it pops up in temp more often when I use HVAC... even if I use the heat! It loses some coolant. Some say it's a head gasket, while others don't feel so, because I can drive for 250 miles straight without it overheating, but sometimes will overheat within 5 minutes of cold start. I have replaced a cooling fan relay, upper radiator hose, thermostat, coolant cap, and water pump. Roundabout $800 spent on this stuff.

There's a lot of talk about the hydraulic convertible top failing, and turning into a $4000 repair, so I purchased a pressure regulator some fellow jaguar enthusiasts developed. The thought behind it is that the high number of failures are based on excessive pressure the system creates to operate, and higher outside temps. That was like $500 installed. I had a latch failure, but thank God the lines didn't blow (I don't know if the regulator saved it or not) and that was another $600 to fix. I brought the car to the dealer for this situation, their diagnosis was that the hydraulic lines had "jelled" up inside and needed to be flushed.

Car needs a ball joint, but you can't just put in a simple ball joint, you need to either buy a whole control arm, or buy a ball joint from a non jaguar affiliated parts company, and have a machine shop press them together. I bought a junkyard part and will have it installed soon hopefully.

When driving on the highway, from speeds around 50-70 mph, a grinding noise comes from the back of the car that goes away when I take my foot off the accelerator. Jaguar guru says it's nothing to be worried about, just some noise from the rear differential.

I had the factory radio/tape player changed out, and was much more complicated than I intended, because no company makes aftermarket kits and plugs for this car and I had to have it custom made. Aftermarket JVC CD player with MP3 USP wired into glove box and built in bluetooth are finally in.

And that's all I can think of for now! Other then that... car is great!

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

That sounds like a nightmare.

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    That sounds like a nightmare.
    it sure does but it doesnt sound like hes complaining. He must have "the sickness"

97DevilleBeige is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

Yes, my DeVille was good "training" on learning how to cope with being in an abusive relationship with a vehicle. I feel like a battered wife who's in denial of her abusive husband. "It was my fault... I shouldn't have provoked him."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.