Purchased a Jaguar on a whim - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Purchased a Jaguar on a whim in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Bro-Ham Those Jags sure are pretty! Do some research on the 97-99 V8 engine. They have a ...
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Purchased a Jaguar on a whim

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Those Jags sure are pretty! Do some research on the 97-99 V8 engine. They have a problem with some kind of a lining on the cylinders, or some such thing. I think they were improved around 2000 or so.

I had a 99 Vanden Plas that I bought about 5 years ago. It had about 50k miles when I bought it. Engine seized shortly after, towed to Jag dealer. Luckily the car had the Jaguar certified warranty on it and the whole engine was replaced for me at no charge! They didn't tell me how much the bill was. I felt so lucky, like I had a brand new car, that I kept the car past the warranty period. That was a really bad error in judgment since the transmission went out at 80k miles a couple years later. That was $5,500 to replace with a new one - out of my pocket, warranty had expired.

Hopefully the acquisition cost was low on your car because replacing an engine or transmission in one of these early V8 Jags out of warranty will make you wonder if you should fix the car or just buy another one. Good luck!!!
    Replacing Engine and Transmission in first 80K miles, then people complain about reliability of Cadillacs!

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

Congrats on the XK convertible purchase, looks amazing and what an excellent deal! I always loved that generation and the current generation, they look very much like the Aston Martins of the same era!

My parents just sold their '09 XKR Conv't... it was a mean machine:

Best of luck with it!
    1996 Cadillac Fleetwood "SS"- sold but not forgotten
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood- the sleeper project
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition WS6 Conv't- the show car
    2006 Mini Cooper S BRG 6spd- the autox gokart
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged- wife's daily driver
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Crew 4x4- daily driver/tow vehicle

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Replacing Engine and Transmission in first 80K miles, then people complain about reliability of Cadillacs!
    I sure enjoyed the way my car rode and drove. I'm also happy to not own it any more. The extended warranty saved my rear end because the dealer was eager to fix and replace things and the car seemed to need everything during the 3 or so years and 30+k miles I had it.

Jaguars are so sexy that it's easy to overlook the problems. I've known plenty of Cadillac owners who have had similar nightmares. Newer Cadillacs don't have anywhere near as much sex appeal as Jaguars and that's why people will buy a Jaguar and put up with the insanity because the car is fun to be in and be seen in.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I was always interested in the 96-02 (I think those are the right years) Jaguar XJ's, and actually thought about possibly buying one when I had that S-Class. What blew my mind was the size difference between the two of them. I can remember pulling behind an XJ8 at a stoplight and seeing it was much shorter than my S320, and then I sat in a Vanden Plas later and distinctly remember it having almost no headroom compared to the Benz, but I guess that's the way the XJ Jaguars have always been...low, tight, lithe, sexy and sporty, especially when compared to their boxier, bigger Teutonic competition.

Chad, The XJ style you're talking about was 1995 through 2003. XJ6 for 95-97. XJ8 was 98+. The V8 was introduced in 1997 for XK8 and sedans got it in 1998. Jaguars are sexy little, low, yet luxurious cars. I'm laughing to myself remembering splitting my pants a couple different times sliding down into the driver's seat when I had mine....

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I was always interested in the 96-02 (I think those are the right years) Jaguar XJ's, and actually thought about possibly buying one when I had that S-Class. What blew my mind was the size difference between the two of them. I can remember pulling behind an XJ8 at a stoplight and seeing it was much shorter than my S320, and then I sat in a Vanden Plas later and distinctly remember it having almost no headroom compared to the Benz, but I guess that's the way the XJ Jaguars have always been...low, tight, lithe, sexy and sporty, especially when compared to their boxier, bigger Teutonic competition.
    About Jaguars ... you got it, except you left out, at many times, better riding, handling and quieter too! Unfortunately, with Jaguars, the over engineered, overly expensive and sometimes unreliable parts of the German wonders, are just plain cheap and unreliable in Jaguars. Don't get me wrong, I love Jaguars for what they are, but having owned seven of them and having been affiliated with The Jaguar Club of Virginia for several years, I would never own one with out sufficient funds in reserve ... or sale before the warranty runs out!

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Orconn, these stories make me sad. One of the earliest posters I had on my bedroom wall as a child was a XJS12 pre-facelift. Ive always wanted to buy a well loved version...but it seems like Id spend more time fixing it...

Don't be afraid of the dark. If you love a car and, as orconn says, you have the $$$ to make it happen, then live dangerously and go for it! It's only money and having one of these cars gives you good reason to earn more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Don't be afraid of the dark. If you love a car and, as orconn says, you have the $$$ to make it happen, then live dangerously and go for it! It's only money and having one of these cars gives you good reason to earn more of it.
    ^^I agree with your sentiments completely. My very first car was a 1958 XK 150 Drophead; I was lucky the car had been owned by a local Ford dealer who had given it a beautiful new paint job, a new clutch and being a "California" car there was no rust! After a thorough detailing and refurbishment of some interior panels, new battery, tires and a custom made tonneau cover, I had a really nice bit of British transportation for a daily driver. I have to say I grew up in Pasadena and Los Angeles where Jags were a common sight, even in the early 1950's ( the first one I ever saw was a prewar 2 1/2 Ltr Drophead Coupe with headlights the size of dinner plates, that a schoolmates Dad picked her up in one day. My Uncle Bill bought an XK 120 roadster in 1949. If my previous week's deportment justified it my mother would stop on the way home from shopping at Peter Satori's import dealership on Colorado Blvd. so I gould admire the Jags, Rolls, Alfas, and lesser offshore breeds. I quess you could say I was hooked at a young age and I have to say my luck with Jags has been nothing less than phenominal. With the exception of my first and last Jag's all were bought new and sold after three years ownership. My last Jag, a 1964 E-type coupe, I bought from its' original owner on the recommendation of my longtime mechanic who had maintained it since new, I owned and drove the E-type for 21 years and kept in excellent "survivor" condition; showing it a few times in VJC annual JCNA Concours d"Elegance hows where it took 1st place on both occasions.

I say all this because I am not a newcomer to the mark, and because I wish our young new owner the best of luck with one of the finest GT automobiles on the planet, and with some fore knowledge of what he may be up against
    can be prepared to deal with the downside of owning a great luxury car.

gotta pay to play Life's too short to drive something crappy.

By the way, for those that think the "oval" air opening at the the front of an XK8's "bonnet" (hood) was copied from a Taurus, let me correct that impression. The XK*'s styling was drawn from the original Series I Jaguar E-type which also had an oval opening for radiator air on the leading edge of its hood. So this styling feature of the different series XK8's is merely carrying forward a cue from the original XKE.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The X300 XJ6 is still my favorite.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

nice jag! that is fantastic, and my favroite style as well. just a side note
    for your "emergency brake applied", that will often come up if you need a brake job ( if its sesnor equiped)
    or possibly all the out side pads are good but the inside pad is wore down. check it out

Rocket88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Pontiac GXP

Couple of things.....

The transmissions are not really a weak point on these Jags, tho the Mercedes transmissions in the supercharged "R"'s do last longer.

The engine issue existed for 2 years, and was not really Jags fault. They used a new type of cylinder liner called Nikasil that offered a ton of benefits, but in use was chewed up by high sulpher fuels. To Jags credit, they fixed the problem once in for all in 2000, and never had that issue again. They also looked after the owners damn well under warranty too.

The other thing you want to check is the camshaft tensioners. If the engine sounds rattley for a few seconds from the front of the engine on a cold start, get those done right away. Not a terrible job, but it can lead to big problems later on.

Overall, a very nice car, and not that expensive to keep on the road. A wash with a Caddy cost and reliability wise, I would say. Might actually be more reliable than a Caddy of similar vintage. Just make sure you find a good, independent Jag repair shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
    Couple of things.....

The transmissions are not really a weak point on these Jags, tho the Mercedes transmissions in the supercharged "R"'s do last longer.

The engine issue existed for 2 years, and was not really Jags fault. They used a new type of cylinder liner called Nikasil that offered a ton of benefits, but in use was chewed up by high sulpher fuels. To Jags credit, they fixed the problem once in for all in 2000, and never had that issue again. They also looked after the owners damn well under warranty too.
    The engine problems existed in 1997, 1998, and 1999. My car with the bad engine was a 1999. You are optimistic about Jaguar standing behind the problem - I was told I would be out of luck if I didn't have a warranty, which I was lucky enough to have. Jaguar didn't stand behind my faulty transmission. I'm over 21, all part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
    Overall, a very nice car, and not that expensive to keep on the road. A wash with a Caddy cost and reliability wise, I would say. Might actually be more reliable than a Caddy of similar vintage. Just make sure you find a good, independent Jag repair shop.
    I found just the opposite to be true. Although these cars drive well and look sexy they are, nevertheless, English cars and they break all the time and cost plenty to fix. If you don't have a little corn tucked away in the silos for the many rainy days you'll inevitably have when you own a Jag then you'll be in deep weeds as you spend your hard earned money that came from your blood, sweat, and tears. Buy a Jag if you're in love but realize the reality of emotional difficulties you'll have if you get the lucky number and your car collapses into pieces and you just realized that the money you keep trying to put into a 401k continually evaporates going to pay for your independent English car mechanic who, you'll find, lives in a far nicer house than you do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.