Candid pictures of our cars. - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 203 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 113 ... LastLast
Like Tree1491Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Candid pictures of our cars. in General Discussion; Ugh, I HATE when people bring their brand new cars to CLASSIC car shows like that ahole with the Challenger. ...
    dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Re: Candid pictures of our cars.

Ugh, I HATE when people bring their brand new cars to CLASSIC car shows like that ahole with the Challenger. Now, if you were like my uncle and brought your '71 Challenger and had it sitting next to your new Challenger, that is a different story. However, the only things that belong in car shows are cars over 15 years old or cars they no longer make/are rare (like the Viper).
    jeff.v and jeff.v like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

That's one gorgeous Impala, Gary. Normally, green cars don't do it for me, but on Betty it somehow looks just right!

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_cheap_fleetwood View Post
    Ugh, I HATE when people bring their brand new cars to CLASSIC car shows like that ahole with the Challenger. Now, if you were like my uncle and brought your '71 Challenger and had it sitting next to your new Challenger, that is a different story. However, the only things that belong in car shows are cars over 15 years old or cars they no longer make/are rare (like the Viper).
    It's not specifically a classic car show; since it's at a university, there are usually student cars there, too, and most of them are fairly new ricers (although the best student car went to a guy with a '70 Chevy truck).

The guy with the Challenger was actually pretty cool. His Dad owns the '68 Camaro that was parked next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    That's one gorgeous Impala, Gary. Normally, green cars don't do it for me, but on Betty it somehow looks just right!
    Thanks, Craig. Close up, she has her flaws, but she's a driver and will never be a 100-point restoration; I enjoy driving her too much to put her under glass.

Green isn't a color I would normally choose for a car, but I just got lucky when I found Betty; she's the same color — Meadow Green — as the '64 Impala I grew up with.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    Thanks, Craig. Close up, she has her flaws, but she's a driver and will never be a 100-point restoration; I enjoy driving her too much to put her under glass.
    Nice to know there's someone else out there who thinks the better part of classic car ownership is enjoying them as they were meant to be enjoyed...on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Nice to know there's someone else out there who thinks the better part of classic car ownership is enjoying them as they were meant to be enjoyed...on the road!
    Exactly. As beautiful as these cars are, just looking at them is less than half of the pleasure of owning one.

It's easy to see why early Sixties Impalas were so popular when you drive one. Chevrolet's advertising promoting the Jet-Smooth Ride was, for once, not an exaggeration. And that smooth ride does not come at the expense of handling (unlike many of its contemporaries). Even though it's no sports car, there's no float or mushiness in the suspension. A 283 or 327 small-block has more than adequate power, is silky smooth and sounds so damn good. The power steering is pretty slow; you turn that big wheel a lot, but you can still feel the road (also in contrast to some of the competition). Even with the original drum brakes all around, I've never had a problem, even coming down the steep grade on my favorite twisty road.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Gary, I saw a '64 Impala SS Coupe the other day at Hooked On Classics. It was black/black, and it had the 250hp 327 and the powerglide. An awful lot like your car. I have pics...
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I couldn't agree more that collector cars should enjoyed for what are cars ........ and driven and enjoyed as the four dimensional machines that they are. As Chairman of the Jaguar Club of Virginia's annual Concours d'Elegance (a JCNA show for national points) for several years I saw many beautifully restored cars. These cars were not just restored but put into condition far better than they left the Jaguar factory. The cars arrived in enclosed trailers in lined car covers and then began the on site final cleaning. While these cars were beautiful to look at they in no way reflected the reality of what these cars were when they were new. Their condition and the requirements of Concours competition prohited the car from really being used and enjoyed.

Fortunately their were divisions in the show for "Driven" cars, and also for unrestored cars that had been well maintained throughout their lives. This last class was where I showed my '64 E-type Series I Coupe. By no means immaculate it was well cared for and original ......... I also drove it frequently until I sold it a year ago. To me the enjoyemnt of owning these old cars is in continued use of them for transportation and mobile recreation.

My 1995 Seville STS is used every day and kept in prime mechanical and cosmetic condition. Now that business considerations no longer require my driving "new" cars, I am thoroughly enjoying being able have as a daily driver a car I consider a real 1990's classic!

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Gary, I saw a '64 Impala SS Coupe the other day at Hooked On Classics. It was black/black, and it had the 250hp 327 and the powerglide. An awful lot like your car. I have pics...
    Same powertrain as Betty. Yes, send the pictures please.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I couldn't agree more that collector cars should enjoyed for what are cars ........ and driven and enjoyed as the four dimensional machines that they are. As Chairman of the Jaguar Club of Virginia's annual Concours d'Elegance (a JCNA show for national points) for several years I saw many beautifully restored cars. These cars were not just restored but put into condition far better than they left the Jaguar factory. The cars arrived in enclosed trailers in lined car covers and then began the on site final cleaning. While these cars were beautiful to look at they in no way reflected the reality of what these cars were when they were new. Their condition and the requirements of Concours competition prohited the car from really being used and enjoyed.

Fortunately their were divisions in the show for "Driven" cars, and also for unrestored cars that had been well maintained throughout their lives. This last class was where I showed my '64 E-type Series I Coupe. By no means immaculate it was well cared for and original ......... I also drove it frequently until I sold it a year ago. To me the enjoyemnt of owning these old cars is in continued use of them for transportation and mobile recreation.
    The car shows I attend are definitely not in the league of a Concours d'Elegance, but cars that are so perfect they can't be driven and enjoyed don't interest me beyond appreciating their beauty. I will occasionally come across a trailer queen at one of the shows I attend, but I never vote for them.

I do classic car inspections whenever there's one in my area, and I've done two E-Types, a '67 and a '74 V-12. I didn't get to drive the V-12 that far, and it was just OK, but the '67 was one of my favorites. Took it out on the freeway, and the owner encouraged me to open it up. What a rush! Amazingly, all the original Lucas electrics worked, too.

It angers me that your 327 has more hp than my 350...

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Remember that the 327 was rated in gross hp, your 350 was rated in SAE net horsepower. Net is roughly 2/3 of gross, so it would've been around 167 hp, or just round up to 170.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Remember that the 327 was rated in gross hp, your 350 was rated in SAE net horsepower. Net is roughly 2/3 of gross, so it would've been around 167 hp, or just round up to 170.
    Good point. On the other hand, my 327 doesn't have all that smog equipment choking it up.

What's surprising is that Betty only weighs about 3,700 lbs., roughly the same as Cruella and lighter than Sabrina, which is just under two tons. So even if the net hp is lower, Betty has a lot less mass to haul around than your Brougham.

Betty's no speed demon, but I've never been at a loss for power, passing on two-lane highways is a breeze, and I've even smoked the right rear tire doing a power brake.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

The Brougham weighs about 4250lbs, so even for a big car its pretty light.

By comparison:
    2009 Tahoe: 5581lbs
    2009 Benz S-550: 4464lbs
    2009 Chrysler 300c:4096lbs
    2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8: 4140lbs
    2009 Chevy Z-71 1500 Extra cab: 5142lbs

As far as power, the 350 tbi is all torque. You really don't need to put the pedal down more than halfway driving normally or merging. Pushing it to the floor doesn't make it go any faster, since it pretty much falls on its face past 4000rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    As far as power, the 350 tbi is all torque. You really don't need to put the pedal down more than halfway driving normally or merging. Pushing it to the floor doesn't make it go any faster, since it pretty much falls on its face past 4000rpms.
    Yeah it is. Sometimes it feels as though I can make it accelerate faster by only giving it 1/2 throttle and keeping the trans from down shifting. If it down shifts you get a whole lot of noise but not a lot of go. Up to about 25-30 the thing is a rocket. It falls on its face from 30-42 and then it shifts and takes off again but it takes FOREVER to get though that 30-42 range. I will have to make a video.

Yeah it is. Sometimes it feels as though I can make it accelerate faster by only giving it 1/2 throttle and keeping the trans from down shifting. If it down shifts you get a whole lot of noise but not a lot of go. Up to about 25-30 the thing is a rocket. It falls on its face from 30-42 and then it shifts and takes off again but it takes FOREVER to get though that 30-42 range. I will have to make a video.
    With a two-speed Powerglide, Betty only shifts once, usually at about 2,000 RPM (I have a tach installed under the dash, but I can flip it up to hide it if I want to) under normal acceleration. If I'm really stepping on the gas from a dead stop, the tranny will shift at about 3,000 RPM. The 327 has enough torque that power doesn't fall off after shifting out of first gear.

In 10 years of driving this car, I think it's kicked down for passing maybe once or twice, and that will fling you into the back seat if you're not belted in. I can just step on the gas — not to the floor, mind you — to pass on a two-lane highway, and Betty will accelerate quickly and smoothly.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

I much rather see classics getting driven and used as they were intended then trailered all over. I'd rather see an original survior with the scars over the years to prove it, then a fully restored car. In the past when I have been at classic car shows, I remember there were 2 '55 Coupe DeVille's next to each other (among my favorite years for Caddy) one was restored, one was original. The restored one looked..... well, restored. But the original one had the sun-cracked light lenses, slightly hazy chrome and some rock chips and a couple areas of lightly faded paint - and I just thought that was cool.

Kinda like those pictures of Gary's Impala (very nice, BTW) the little ding around the headlight trim, the faded black paint around the headlight grille etc...

Sorta like my BMW, while not a true classic (...yet ;-) ) shes got the battle scars from over the years. While there is more paint/body damage on her then would otherwise be acceptable for a car show, somehow it just really dosen't bother me, maybe because I bought her like that and just accepted that's the way it is, but I dunno. Seeing the various blemishes just adds to her character and is, overall what makes her *my* car. Maybe one day she'll get bodywork and a new paintjob done, but then I'd probably be worried about using her as a semi-daily driver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.