Candid pictures of our cars. - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 111 ... LastLast
Like Tree1491Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Candid pictures of our cars. in General Discussion; Very nice work there, John. You'd never know this was a nearly 20-year-old car. Love how the emblems reflect off ...
    gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Re: Candid pictures of our cars.

Very nice work there, John. You'd never know this was a nearly 20-year-old car. Love how the emblems reflect off the bumper. What did you use for the chrome? I need to detail Betty for car show season, and I'd love to have bumpers that shined like yours.

As for the hood ornament, just be patient and keep looking every so often. You could easily find one that's mint for cheap. I did, and I even managed to sell the faded one for more than I paid for the new one!

Is the hood ornament different on the RWD models vs. FWD? You could always just swap it with the Fleetwood.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter View Post
    Is the hood ornament different on the RWD models vs. FWD? You could always just swap it with the Fleetwood.
    The RWD ones were bigger. Its the same from 86-92, and I'm 98.4% certain a 80-84 Fleetwood is the same(Fleetwoods had the wreath and crest, Devilles just had the crest).

As for chrome polish, Turtle wax chrome polish is great stuff. You can find it at any O'Riley's, Pep-Boys, etc.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Very nice work there, John. You'd never know this was a nearly 20-year-old car. Love how the emblems reflect off the bumper. What did you use for the chrome? I need to detail Betty for car show season, and I'd love to have bumpers that shined like yours.

I used some stuff I got a Wal-Mart. It is Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish. It comes in a little can. Its great because it is just wadding soaked in chrome polish so it is not messy. Apply it, let it dry and buff away.

The RWD emblems are HUGE compared to the FWD ones, but then again everything on the RWD cars is large and in charge.

The pictures look a lot better than it does in person. It is one of those cars that looks great from about 5 feet back but when you get close you start to see all the imperfections. I recently had a chip of paint come off near my rear door (I cut myself trying to find a dime) and I found several scratches while waxing it. The car was repainted and they did a shitty job and the person who had it repainted was a retard for accepting such poor work. Here you can also see my nasty headlight from when the bulb exploded inside it. I bought a new pair off Ebay for $99 and they should be arriving soon. It looks awful at night because it scatters the light and makes it look all yellowy.

Even so, for a nearly 20-year-old car, it looks good. Cruella has a number of nicks and scratches, plus the hood has a lot of chips in it. I think the DS quarter panel may have been repainted at some point because it's a bit faded, while the rest of the paint is still pretty shiny.

Thanks for the tip on the Never Dull. Besides the bumpers, I'll bet they'll do a great job on Betty's hubcaps. Those spinners will really gleam.

I looked up on the Eagle One site and saw they now have a wheel coating to prevent brake dust, which drives me nuts. Will have to swing by NAPA this week.

spinners

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

The Eldorado hanging out the the Prelude. They both need to be cleaned up but it won't stop raining around here it seems like.

Here's one where I was just out riding around and just happened to have my camera with me. Came out pretty good I thought.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

John, your Brougham is magnificent. I love those 90-92's. They perfected one of their best designs.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Exclamation Re: Candid pictures of our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt_cheap_fleetwood View Post
    I spent about 6 hours cleaning the outside of my car today. I washed it, clay bared it and then waxed it and polished up the chrome. Its blinding now. I took these when the tire shine was still wet so it looks kinda blotchy. Tomorrow and Wednesday I need to work on the interior.

Beautiful car! I'd reccomend a set of wire wheels... heck even the factory wire spoked hub caps looked really good, I think it'd really make the car stand out. That is unless you really like the dog dish caps.

I know on my past Cadillacs and my Lincoln, buying a new/NOS hood ornament made it feel like driving a whole new car.... odd how that played with the mind I guess.

BTW, FWD and RWD hood ornaments are NOT interchangable. Besides the size, they use an entirely different base setup.

SMILE! Candid:

The 20-yr update continues.... may as well be a brand new car by the time I'm done with it...

I'm not talking about those ghetto bling spinners. These are factory.

Spinner hubcaps were very popular from the mid 50s until Ralph Nader got them banned after 1966. Yet another reason to hate him.

I'm not talking about those ghetto bling spinners. These are factory.

Spinner hubcaps were very popular from the mid 50s until Ralph Nader got them banned after 1966. Yet another reason to hate him.
    Why were they banned? I could see knock off wire wheels being dangerous, but its a freaking hubcap!

BTW, I saw a newer(2007ish) Mustang on the dealer lot with spinners instead of the regular center caps. It looked like this, but on a different set of wheels

They were originally designed to hold the entire wheel on, not just the hubcap. Instead of torquing lug nuts you would take a brass or other soft faced hammer and smash those suckers on tight. The brass was softer than the spinning hubs so it didn't damage them (usually). You can buy spinner hubs again though as I have seen some 100 spoke aftermarket wheels with them.

They were originally designed to hold the entire wheel on, not just the hubcap. Instead of torquing lug nuts you would take a brass or other soft faced hammer and smash those suckers on tight. The brass was softer than the spinning hubs so it didn't damage them (usually). You can buy spinner hubs again though as I have seen some 100 spoke aftermarket wheels with them.
    I've inspected a couple of Jaguar XK-Es that had the knock-off wheels. Loved the ones used on the Corvette from 1963-66.

Normally, I hate wire wheel covers, but the spinners make the ones on Betty look cool.

BTW, I bought some of that Never Dull polish and the Eagle One Wheel Keep Clean. Now I just need to find time to wash and detail Betty before Saturday's show. I'll try to post some before and after pictures.

How bout' some candid XXX pics of Noelle's undercarriage???

This is why her middle name is Pandora.

Transmission was supported by a jackstand in that picture, no difference, as I could bench press the thing. Not seeing it? Here:

Both tranmissions mounts no longer.... mounted anything. They were simply now "supports" That above picture was just from supporting the weight of the trans with a jack stand and unbolting the crossmember from the car. It's not supposed to do that. That trans oil leak is also on the list of things to fix.

2-piece driveshaft w/ Center Support Bearing. The entire exhaust system had to be dropped to get to this.

E30 playa!

Totally shot shifter linkage assembly that allowed un-BMW amounts of play in the shifter. I'm thinking between the extremely shot linkage assembly and the 2 transmission mounts that were.....shot... it may have had something to do with the trouble downshifting into 2nd... so maybe the synchros aren't as bad as I thought. We'll see.

Cost to rebuild the entire shifter assembly replacing every single wear item? $350 in parts from the dealer. Heck I'm just happy BMW still (fully!) supports the E30, you can buy a whole factory dash from them (for $550!) that is even upgraded with the new BMW material. To heck with costs, I just applaud the fact that they still support their old stuff.... GM gives up on things after 7-10yrs.

With that said, $100 of that $350 went to my new short shifter - Z3 1.9, which most E30 fans consider to be just about the perfect blend and feel for a fun daily driver. Stock E30 325i on the left, Z3 1.9 on the right. Maybe now shifting gears in the BMW won't feel like the Jeep anymore.

Once this is all back together, it'll be finished off with a nice, real BMW shift knob, as well as a nice new leather shifter and parking brake boot kit. Seeing as how the manual transmission, IMO is the entire central point of this whole car, this work alone is just huge, and I can't wait to see what it'll be like after words.

These are only a few of the issues/pictures. I never took pictures of the rear shock mounts that were literally not even holding the shocks to the chassis of the car anymore. In fact, I am rather amazed at how well the car, as a whole... still just.... worked. With a certain level of percision too. I mean, the suspension was shot, but she still handled. Every part in the shifter linkage that could wear out, is, and both transmisson mounts are split in half... the shifter had about a foot of play in gear, yet it still went into each gear, every time, I could shift aggressive and it still did it's thing. The distrubutor cap and rotor were original (date code stamped on them) and in turn, about as worn out as they could reasonably get.... yet the engine still ran, with some level of performance (it sounds and revs much better now tho!) Really, it is just amazing how well built this car is, for it to perform the way it was, in the condition it was in. To say it'll be like a whole new car to me once complete will be an understatement.

Ah well.... it's all in the fun. I'm sleepy now.

How many miles are on the BMW?

Right around 140k

She's a 1990, with a build date of 7/89. Same month as my birthday, shes coming up on 20 yrs old. Good news on E30s, they don't have alot of rubber parts that fail over time. Bad news with E30s, the rubber parts they do have, are a bit more involved to replace then a comparable GM etc...

I don't blame any of the worn out stuff on the car at all, I mean it's a 20-yr old car with 140k miles, and who knows what kind of life it lived in the past.

IIRC, I am the 4th owner, and it was a leased vehicle when new, which could be a good or bad thing. Maybe some rich lawyer had it and took it to the dealer for everything (BMW was strict about that, especially their leases) but leased vehicles can sometimes be driven harder/abused.

In any case, my car definitly shows (many) signs of being driven hard in it's past. All wear items that would fail/wear/need to be replaced from hard driving, were shot on my car. It's really not a big deal, as I'm sure I drive it just as hard as anyone in the past... I guess it's some of the thrill with the old BMW's they were built well and cold hold up to alot. I'm going to enjoy the heck outta this thing, it's my favorite car I've owned to date. The plan is, if it breaks, I fix it. Keeps things simple that way

She'll be going up to NY with me later this year when I got back for a week, so I'm going to be doing even other preventative maintenace items sooner, rather then later as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.