Cadillac Owners Forum banner
961 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ralph 
#1 ·
POOR ROLLOVER PERFORMANCE FOR SUVs: In the latest round of rollover tests conducted by NHTSA, most 2003MY SUVs got three out of five stars and none received a four or five start rollover rating. This shows little improvement from the 2001MY, when the Pontiac Aztek was the first and only SUV to win a four-star rollover rating from NHTSA. In 2002, the Aztek and the Acura MDX earned four stars. More than 60% of fatalities in SUVs involve rollovers, compared to 22% of car deaths.

GM says NHTSA's rollover ratings are flawed because the agency uses a mathematical formula, based on vehicle height and weight, rather than a moving test to calculate rollover risk. The automaker also points out that NHTSA fails to take into account stability control systems, which are an option on many SUVs. NHTSA says the rating system is a good predictor of vehicle performance, however the agency plans to abandon the mathematical formula later this year in favor of a new, moving test that will show how the vehicle responds to sharp turns.

TWO STAR ROLLOVER RATINGS
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Chevy Avalanche
Mitsubishi Montero Sport

#2 ·
Thats interesting..... I figured they always used moving tests.

#3 ·
Not to mention the crappy 2 (I think it was) stars for side impact on the Escalade. I've noticed that in the last few years GM does not excell in occupant protection for side impacts. Ie, the Malibu a few years ago had only 1 star for side impact and now it is 3 or 4 as I recall. You would think that because of the added height of a tall vehicle, it would be better in this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.