Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Sony (Blu-Ray) Wins

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Playdrv4me 
#1 ·
Searched for the old HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thread, but couldn't find it...

In any event, Blu-Ray has now officially won the high-def media war. :cheer:

Sorry to all who may have spent tons of money on an HD-DVD player and movies. People who bought really early are likely going to feel the pain much more than later adopters of HD-DVD.

As for myself, I have both a Toshiba HD-DVD player and a Sony PS3, and movies in both formats. Many of my HD-DVD movies are dual format (HD-DVD and standard DVD on single disc), so I can enjoy them on standard DVD players I have in other rooms, plus in my 08 CTS. :)

I bought very late in the war, and basically paid nothing for my HD-DVD player after paying $150.00 and getting a $100.00 Circuit City gift card, plus 5 free HD-DVD movies via mail-in-rebate. That deal was too hard to pass up.

There are some dual-high-def format players out there (play both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) that will probably get much less expensive before year's end - and some great deals on HD-DVD movies.

Both these formats are transitional anyway, as "no physical media" is the next step - somewhat here already actually, what with high-def (1080i/720p) movies can be downloaded on demand to most cable boxes, plus you can download high-def movies to your PC and distribute that video signal to your TV.

Sony's success can be attributed to several factors, but I think buying the content side of the market basically wrapped it up.

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh well, I've had my HD DVD player for my 360 for over a year now and I have loved it. I got an e-mail from amazon.com saying they have 100 HD DVD's at over 50% off and that the prices start out at $14.95. But I have like 30 HD DVD movies or something like that so I'm just going to have to get a dual format player at some point.

#5 ·
Trust me, last thing I wanted was for Sony to win this format war. I liked buying HD-DVDs that I could play in high def in my family room, and in standard def in other rooms, and in standard def on my CTS - and let my parents borrow for play on their standard def player at home - all from one disc (not all HD-DVD discs are like this, but many are).

The only Sony products I've ever purchased have been a miniDisc recorder (nice digital garage band recorder back in the day), the original Playstation and the PS3. Sony's Blu-Ray format is terrible for the consumer, with DRM software so "strong" that it throws many stand-alone Blu-Ray players for a loop (but doesn't give much trouble to PS3s for some reason), and region limitations - you can't buy Blu-Ray discs made for other regions of the world and play them on your USA Blu-Ray player. With HD-DVD, none of that was an issue.

I'm thinking of not buying any more Blu-Ray movies (actually most of the ones I have are gifts from people who didn't know which format I had - just that I had a high-def player - thanks, Sony marketing machine). For my particular TV - a Samsung 56" 1080i/720p purchased in December 2004, I'm thinking of eventually going with Apple TV 2.0 (high def) for movies.

#18 ·
Trust me, last thing I wanted was for Sony to win this format war. I liked buying HD-DVDs that I could play in high def in my family room, and in standard def in other rooms, and in standard def on my CTS - and let my parents borrow for play on their standard def player at home - all from one disc (not all HD-DVD discs are like this, but many are).

The only Sony products I've ever purchased have been a miniDisc recorder (nice digital garage band recorder back in the day), the original Playstation and the PS3. Sony's Blu-Ray format is terrible for the consumer, with DRM software so "strong" that it throws many stand-alone Blu-Ray players for a loop (but doesn't give much trouble to PS3s for some reason), and region limitations - you can't buy Blu-Ray discs made for other regions of the world and play them on your USA Blu-Ray player. With HD-DVD, none of that was an issue.

I'm thinking of not buying any more Blu-Ray movies (actually most of the ones I have are gifts from people who didn't know which format I had - just that I had a high-def player - thanks, Sony marketing machine). For my particular TV - a Samsung 56" 1080i/720p purchased in December 2004, I'm thinking of eventually going with Apple TV 2.0 (high def) for movies.

That's the whole point -- so you can buy 2 copies of the same movie.

What a crock...

#10 ·
What's everybodys HD DVD library like?

I have:

The Bourne Trilogy
Plant Earth series
The Matrix Trilogy
The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift
King Kong
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Jarhead
The Last Samuari
Goodfellas
Top Gun
Half Baked
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Mission Impossible III
Clerks II
Batman Begins
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Ocean's Thirteen
Army of Darkness
Smoking Aces
Training Day
Troy
V for Vendetta
Transformers
U-571
Beerfest
The Chronicles of Riddick
Swordfish
The Game
Anchorman
The Departed

I still wanna go and pickup American Gangster

#20 ·
Blue Ray really makes difference .May be only downside to that you need to have a blue ray player to play your blue ray disks .

#23 ·
Well, I for one completely mis-called this one. I thought for sure HD-DVD would end up taking the foothold due to cost, and due to the fact that sheeple follow what they know, and it was alot easier to swallow "HD-DVD", a progrssion of just "DVD" which they already were accustomed to, than this new-fangled "BluRay" thing that they have never used and are unfamiliar with. Not to mention the cost of the discs and the players.

It is pretty clear though that technology at least is in BluRay's favor... it's a better product overall. Oddly enough, being "better" has NEVER helped Sony win any format wars in the past, so they finally get to mark one down I guess.

I have to commend Toshiba for taking quick and decisive action on their side as well. Once Wal-Mart pulls out of the market for a product you're already selling them DIRT CHEAP it's over. To what someone said earlier YES, WAL-MART decides *alot* of things in *alot* markets, sad as that may be.

Toshiba stands to lose very little here. They are innovators in MANY industries and always have been. Toshiba is one of the companies that makes alot of the technology BEHIND the brand name you see on the front of whatever given product it might be. They'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.