350K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  FTSS 
#1 ·
Glock 17 9mm 18 rd mag and 33 rd mag

12 Gauge Mossberg 500 removable AR adjustable stock

M1 garand 30-06 8 rd

The whole family

See less See more
#7 ·
I have the Streamlight TLR 2 on a cople of weapons (and the TLR 1 on others). It's inexpensive and holds up well to recoil. The light/laser combination would turn that 500 into a great home defense tool IMHO.
The TLR 2 on a relatively new toy:

#10 · (Edited)
Damnitt.

Automag II and my .50 Doublestar AR.

Like Rolex, it would be far far far too much effort to list or show them all...but search our posts and you'll find some good stuff.

:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Oh yea...and BOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo to Glock!

To Hell And Back Reliability is my personal favorite. :D

#14 ·
Nothing newer than a Ruger .45 Colt revolver from about '88, but 42 pieces, both pistol and long gun, from 1851 Remington .44, 1861 Colt .44 & .36, several late 1800's and early 1900's Winchesters, 1914 S&W Officer's .45 Auto Rim DA revolver, S&W & Colt .38's, a couple of .357's, .30-06, .30-30, .22's, .45-70, 218 Bee, .243 Rem., Remington Model 32 O/U 12 ga., other such stuff, and enough shell cases, primers, various bullets, powder, and reloading equipment to keep me happy until I can't hold a pistol any more. Then the NRA gets it all. Lucky for me, I have a 100-yard rifle range in my back yard. The only autoloading firearm I own is a Winchester shotgun. The sign on my front porch says "Forget the dog. Beware of owner".

#15 ·
Hmm... interesting. I don't have pictures, but...

Long Guns:
Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special, 22-250, Leupold 18x, Timney Trigger, Harris Bipod, glass bedded & free floated... nice tack driver.

Colt AR-15 Delta Elite HBAR, Pre-ban, pretty much stock...

Weatherby Mark V .300 Weatherby Mag, Leupold 12x... very nice

Weatherby Mark XXII, Leupold 4-12x... very fun & nice 22.

Ithaca 12 ga Over-Under, selective ejectors... was my Dad's. super nice, mint condition. Trap stock... a real kicker compared to a Remington 1100...

Handguns:
Browning Challenger .22 Pistol.. Bought it when I was 21. Super nice 22.

High Standard Victor .22 Target Pistol. Heavily reworked. Was my .22 indoor pistol target gun. Still is, I guess, but I haven't shot competitively for years. Custom grips, Burris 2x pistol scope... super nice gun. Was second civilian in the nation with that, back in the 80's...

HK USP 9mm. Super nice 9

HK USP .40 Super nice.

Smith & Wesson 669. compact 9mm. Excellent. Nice small package.

Smith & Wesson 645 .45 auto. A personal favorite. Heavily reworked, was my IPSC competition gun. Won the state sectionals with that many years ago...

Action Arms AT-84 9mm. A real nice CZ-75 sort of copy, from solothurn in Switzerland. Real nice gun.

Walther PPK .380 stainless. Everybody should have a Walther PPK... should'nt they??

I'm probably forgetting a few... Nobody knows what a Hammerli Free Pistol is, but if you do, I have one of those... I was going to shoot Olympic Style free pistol competition at one point, so I bought that, but my personal situation prevented that from happening anyways.... I had a Hammerli .32 competition bullseye gun for awhile... actually, I recently sold that, as my competition days seem to be behind me... If you need a centerfire competition pistol, the Hammerli was wonderful... I was shooting cowboy action matches briefly for fun, I have a 5-inch nickel plated Sherrif's model.... think Sharon Stone's gun in "The Quick and the Dead"...

If I bought anything at the moment, I think I really need a combat shotgun, and some kind of CAR-15, which I'll be picking up before the election...

#16 ·
Alllrrriigght, firearms thread! Giggidy giggidy!

Well, don't have much right now, just my G23..

and my Norinco SKS (with G23 pictured)..

That's all for personal firearms, however for my part time job...

M249 SAW

Just a simple M4 (large photo so you can read my shirt)

TOW Missile System with the ITAS

Not pictured: Mk. 19, M2 Machine Gun, M240B Machine Gun

Also, story behind when the picture of me was taken with the M4, the beer, and the shirt
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ductions/117245-sdm-training.html#post1213348

Also after writing that, I later realized that the stated max effective range for a point target with that M4 is 500M. 600 Yds. roughly equates to 550 meters. Yeah, I really want to get into distance shooting now.

#18 ·
And now, everyone keep your safes locked. IP's will turn to street addresses.

#21 ·
2 Mega home builds on the right. The 20" A1 style is set up as a dedicated .22LR with a ciener kit. The 20" scoped rifle is chambered in .223Rem.

A Bushmaster .223 Carbine, a Colt 9mm carbine, and a 16" Mossy 500.

On the shelf are a couple Walthers. A P22 and 9mm P99AS

#23 ·
Unfortunately I live in the People's Democratic Repulic of Massachusetts, who make it difficult to own guns (although not so much so as it once was). I do intend to go through the bother and get a good pistol when I can actually afford a good pistol... I have no desire to own a TEC-9 for I hear that that they are a rather rotten pistol and their sole virtue is their cheapness.

I do have a nice sword, though. An M1906 Cavalry sabre WITH correct scabbard (these are often scavenged to put with civil war era swords as the scabbard is difficult to identify as correct). This was the last US Cavalry sabre designed strictly for use as a weapon.

#35 ·
I have. Both of the ones I've owned I had problems with. Biased? Yes. All of the SWAT guys and gun guys that I know, myself included, consider the Sig a superior weapon. All of my professors always praised the Sig as the ultimate combat platform which is what got me started on research and experiencing them. I also really like the decocking feature, the non-poly frame and the endurance of them in general and mine in particular. I've got a story to back the endurance and reliability of mine...I'll get into it later as I've got to go pick someone up that just called...The look is awesome too. Business, plain and simple.

I agree with the Life > $$$$ idea. I don't have all that much against Glocks and wouldn't persuade someone to NOT buy one if they couldn't afford a Sig, but the Sig is, in all aspects as far as I'm concerned, better. :)

To each his own.

I wish Sig made something in 10mm though!

#36 ·
SIG as the ultimate combat platform? These guys probably jerk each other off on the weekend too.

Decocking feature? Why do I want that in a combat pistol? You're talking SIGs up like they are the firearm of choice for middle-aged males going through a mid life crisis or something.

#38 ·
I dunno...Most of the time I fire FAR over a thousand rounds a month...I think that alone gives me a little bit of an idea of what I like and what works and what doesn't. I've been through Sigs and Glocks and S&W's and Rugers and Brownings and Taurus' and H&K's and M&P's and Colts and Armalites and AMT's and IAI's and Iver Johnsons' and a whole slew of others...The Sig has had ONE malfunction in well over 100,000 rounds that I myself have fired. One. One single failure to eject, using a light hand load.

The others are NO WHERE near that performance mark. And the Sig I'm speaking of is an '88 P226 that I got with over a hundred thousand through it already. That means well over TWO hundred thousand rounds and still running as smooth as the day it was built.

Decocking feature in a combat pistol? Hmmm...maybe to decock the pistol without having to pull the trigger on a hot chamber? Hmmmm...

Bed time for me...buuuuuuuut yea, it is by far the most reliable firearm I have ever encountered. I'm not professing to be the God of firearms or the end-all of knowledge. I'm only talking about my own personal experience. As I said, hundreds of thousands of rounds through dozens and dozens of weapons. My Sig P226 is by FAR the most reliable weapon I have encountered and that's all I was saying. There may be better out there, there may not. I was presenting my own opinion, bolstered by the opinions of those individuals whom I know with far more years of experience than myself, which I stated numerous times. I tend to take the word of those who do these things for a living over those who don't, eh.

Smiley face to show I'm not all that serious and not pissed. :)

G'night all...see ya in the morning!

#39 ·
Each owner simply needs to get the firearm they are most comfortable with and can shoot accurately.
I owned a Glock 17 after they came out years and years ago. That gun would malfunction on some ammo (cheap reloads) and I could limp wrist it into a misfeed repeatedly. My P220 has just never done that, ever. No matter how light I hold it or what cheap ass ammo I fire through it. It feeds and fires and is scary accurate. Any pistol I could limp wrist into misfeeding, I got rid of no matter who made it. Now almost certainly Glock has improved over the years and come out with numerous models since then. Several friends have them that I've fired, it's not a POS weapon. But in Sig, specifically the P220, I've found the weapon for me. Up until a few weeks ago I had not bought another pistol since getting that P220 about 18 years ago, didn't feel the need. I bought the 500 Mag more or less for the hell of it to carry as backup when we go hunting hogs. The decock is nice to have, especially at the range when teaching new shooters and I personally like a gun with a hammer I can cock if I want to fire single action for a ranged shot. But again those are personal preferences. To each their own. Talking weapons is like talking cars, to say this one is better than that one, blah, blah ,blah. It's up to the owner's taste and desires. The only exception is in a situation where you are issued a service weapon, that you have to live with.

#43 ·
I can live with the it's a personal preference argument. I just think for me that the decocking feature is just silly. If I'm in a situation where the chamber is gonna be hot, usually means I'm about to fire, or I'm going to need to fire on a moments notice (self defense shoot). Never saw a decocking feature on my M4 ;)

93DevilleUSMC: I would shoot all of the above, plus the G23 and for the SIG side, a 229. I like my .40

#50 ·
93DevilleUSMC: I would shoot all of the above, plus the G23 and for the SIG side, a 229. I like my .40
:yeah:, try and shoot anything you are considering. Most ranges around here rent guns. Find which one feels, fires, and feeds the best for YOU and that's what I would go with. .40 is fine in my book. I'm not real concerned with large mag capacity as I don't plan on getting into any prolonged firefights and I don't pray and spray. That's what a shotgun is for :)

#45 ·
Brand new Glock 17 (full size 9mm) can be had for under 500 bucks.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82409208

Brand new Sig P226 (Full size 9mm) can be had for under $800.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82315409

I actually carry a Kahr K40. I want to buy a Sig 239 in .357SIG to replace it with but have decided I need to take a break from buying firearms. The Sig 239 is the little guy, the 229 is the midsize and the 226 is the full size. The old 228 used to the be compact but they're hard to find anymore. All three can be had in 9mm, 357SIG or 40S&W. I don't know if any of you have fired the 357SIG round, but its very impressive. Basically a .40 cal necked down to 9mm size...kinda like a 9mm magnum. Glock makes guns chambered for it too. Glock also makes a 45 GAP Glock Auto Pistol, designed by a guy at CCI/Speer) which fires the 45GAP round, which is a shortened but still very potent version of the 45ACP. It's great for little concealed guns that you still want a .45 caliber bullet. It's actually a little bit shorter than the 9mm or .40S&W round.

If the Glock feels better in your hand, by all means buy it. I'm just posting about my own experience. Granted, I'm a 24 year old "kid" that claims to know a lot. Firearms are one of the 'things' that I do. I know that I have a BUNCH to learn and I'm often wrong, just as anyone else in anything. I also know that the Glocks I have owned have malfunctioned on a regular basis while the Sig has not.

Again with the decocker? You can't think of ANY situation where you might have a round chambered in a SA/DA pistol with the hammer cocked where you wouldn't want to drop the hammer without having to either pull the trigger or empty the chamber? Hmmmm...seems to me I could think of a bunch. Situation de-escalates and you no longer need to point your weapon at anyone. Hammer is cocked, round is in the chamber. If you squeeze the trigger and have your thumb on the hammer to slow it, your thumb could slip off firing a round. Not the greatest situation. If you drop the mag, rack the slide and eject the round you're left vulnerable and the situation will likely escalate again to where you need that round you just pulled from the chamber. At the range? If you don't fire a full magazine? In the holster, when the hammer catches on your seatbelt and is cocked as you're exiting your car. Taking a new shooter to the range, you load a magazine, pop it in, chamber a round and hand them the gun. The hammer is going to be cocked. Not the best way to hand a pistol to a new shooter, eh? When you chamber that first round the slide leaves the pistol cocked and ready to go. Maybe you want a round in the chamber but you don't want the hammer pulled back because you don't plan on shooting it right away. The decocker is a wonderful feature to have on a SA/DA pistol...THAT one I'll argue with.

Reactions: CIWS
#46 ·
One great thing about the Sig's is that if you buy either a .357 SIG or a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for a hundred bucks and switch between them in about fifteen seconds. Same magazine, same frame, same springs, etc...just swap the barrel. :)

#122 ·
I'm gone for a week and come back to a 13 page thread full of goodness. :cloud9: I luv you guise.

One great thing about the Sig's is that if you buy either a .357 SIG or a .40 S&W you can buy a spare barrel for a hundred bucks and switch between them in about fifteen seconds. Same magazine, same frame, same springs, etc...just swap the barrel. :)
The same can be said of buying a .40 Glock. You can buy a drop-in 9mm barrel for $80 and fire 9mm.

1949 Y-shaped sling shot. Wife does not like guns.
You need a new wife. JMHO ;)

I agree with what's been said about "knock-down power" from a handgun. It just doesn't exist. Stopping power is limited but most self defense bullet designs are as good as they've ever been. Remember this: ALL bullets fail. There are some sturdy people in this world that can take multiple hits and still stay in the fight. Follow up shots become an important factor there. Be able to shoot what you carry, well.

My .02: let your handgun be a tool to help you fight your way to hard cover, or fight your way to a rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.