350K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  FTSS 
#1 ·
Glock 17 9mm 18 rd mag and 33 rd mag

12 Gauge Mossberg 500 removable AR adjustable stock

M1 garand 30-06 8 rd

The whole family

See less See more
#270 ·
Why are all these modern weapons so goddam ugly? The classic firearms of years gone by were magnificent works of art with grace and form and beauty. Parker Brothers shotguns, Mannlicher rifles, and S&W revolvers were displayed in art museums. The stuff you see in sporting goods store counters today belongs in a box of plumbing tools. It used to be that weapons were pleasing creations of polished and finely blued steel combined with lovingly finished and beautifully colored walnut wood. Now it's rough cast plow metal and plastic. What the hell has the world of firearms come to. It's lost its soul.

#271 ·
Rolex, I agree with you on the crappy trigger reset on the Sigs, BUT they will change it out for you now. They've finally gotten enough complaints and have developed a far better trigger reset that I'm sure you'll find pleasant and double-tap-accurate! :D

#272 ·
Rolex, I agree with you on the crappy trigger reset on the Sigs, BUT they will change it out for you now. They've finally gotten enough complaints and have developed a far better trigger reset that I'm sure you'll find pleasant and double-tap-accurate! :D
You are serious? Linky please!! :bouncy:

ETA: nevermind I found it. $99 + shipping both ways ($34.95 x 2) for a trigger job? This is something they should fix for free IMO. :banghead: I emailed their technical services dept to ask if the sears can be purchased without sending the sidearm in. I bet the answer will be a resounding NO.

#275 ·
239 is a great carry piece.

My Kahr K40 Elite '03 is a bit heavy, but I like it a bunch, as my review will show you. Search for it, if you've not read it.

229 is not really meant as a carry weapon...although it'd work just fine for that, I think. I dunno, I've never carried anything lighter or smaller than my Kahr, so maybe I'm biased towards bigger/heavier.

The weight of the 229 is not so much that firing it will be difficult. It's a mid-size pistol. I agree, weight of a pistol doesn't effect accuracy. Rifles, different matter, buuuuut...

And finally...for a carry piece, a good holster is a must anyways, isn't it? I mexican carried for two years and I don't know HOW the hell I ever lived without a good holster. Definitely spend good money on good leather. One can be had for under fifty bucks, I got mine for $26, delivered. It's a Don Hume IWB right hander in brown leather. Very nice, very comfortable, very good looking and very well made.

Reactions: Rolex
#279 ·
A good holster and belt will do a lot of things for you, even if carrying a full size. When I carry my Sig 226, which is the full size, bigger than the 229 version, its fine and comfortable and doesn't sag. I definitely know its there, because its heavy, but if you have the right gear, it'll be fine.

#282 ·
+1 on Bianchi or Galco are good "off the shelf" leathers. I had leathers custom made for my G 27 and waited over 8 months. If I had it to do over again I'd have bought something off the shelf.

93 DeVille I took a very long look at my 229 tonight and I will stand by my opinion. The only thing to subtract for is long trigger reset and it's heavy weight. SigSauer makes one of the damn finest sidearms anywhere. I'm actually considering getting the short trigger added to my 229 by Sig's gunsmiths. :thepan: A female friend has the 239 for a concealed carry piece and she loves it. Damn good shooter too. If concealed carry is your primary goal I'd look to the 239. Either way we all expect to see pics! :cool2:

#284 ·
www.bianchi-intl.com and they sell direct online.
I can't say that I like the look of the P239, although that's a secondary priority. What are some similar weapons?

I'm looking through Bianchi's product line right now. A friend of mine had a hip holster which stayed completely inside of his pants, leaving none of his pistol, a Glock 22, exposed. Does anyone know if Bianchi has such a holster, and where I would find it? I would also need a shoulder holster for occasions when I'm wearing a sport coat or long coat.

Also, how do I determine which holster fits which weapon?

Weapons being considered:
Sig P229
Glock 19
Glock 26
Walther P99/P99QA
Walther P99 Compact
Sig P239
Stoeger M8000 Cougar.

Any of the above would be preferred in 9mm.

#287 ·
I kept it loaded but with a cold chamber. An incident happened where I knew I should have had a hot chamber and bought a holster the next day. (Not a full draw, just a move towards the grip, but enough to make me think a lot about it).

Again, caliber doesn't matter as much as being able to shoot the thing.

I am VERY happy with my Don Hume holster and it was WAY cheaper than most leathers. 26 bucks or something like that.

Most every holster will say in the advertisement which pistols it will fit...

BEST THREAD EVeR!!!

#288 ·
Yeah, I think the concept of carrying cold is silly.

Anyone have any experience with Bersa's? I was talking with a guy at the shop cuz my stepmom was looking for a starter gun in 9mm and he recommended the Firestorm? Felt pretty decent when I held it and he said it's pretty reliable.

#289 ·
A friend of mine carries a Bersa Thunder. He thinks its the greatest thing since sweet pickles but I don't like it. It carries nice, looks good, is just about the right weight and is comfortable...but its jammed on him a couple of times at the range. He's got less than a thousand through it and more than a handful of jams. I like my two main guns because they DON'T jam. My Sig has had a LOOOOOOT of ammo through it without ever being cleaned or maintained and its never had an issue. The Kahr has had a few thousand through and never a hiccup, yet. Other than that, I don't know...but that alone is enough to make me not want to carry one.

#294 ·
Seems like the general concensus is to carry an automatic pistol. My Grandfather carried a revolver for years back in the 1930's because they almost never jam. Back then auto's jammed a lot more too I suppose.

I know weight seems to be an issue for carrying, and it's completely understandable, but I think if it doesn't bother you to have a few extra ounces on your belt and you don't mind letting others know you're strapped, a Colt .45 is a great carry piece. Grandfather carried one as an MP and when he got out of the service he liked it so much that he bought one and carried it for years.

Oh, I forgot to mention about my P99, it never jams. I put Winchester 112 grain cooper rounds in it, but I cannot think of one time that it jammed. Honestly it's one of the best pistols I've ever used, and while I haven't owned too many I have had the pleasure of shooting many pistols that other shooters have at the range and I still think the P99 is one of the best of them. Other's have also agreed upon trying it that it just has a feel of quality and reliability, not something you can put your finger on but you can feel it.

#295 ·
I know weight seems to be an issue for carrying, and it's completely understandable, but I think if it doesn't bother you to have a few extra ounces on your belt and you don't mind letting others know you're strapped, a Colt .45 is a great carry piece. Grandfather carried one as an MP and when he got out of the service he liked it so much that he bought one and carried it for years.
Unless you live in a state that allows open carry, letting people know you're carrying is not wise. If you have a concealed carry license and make it obvious when you're carrying you're inviting trouble on yourself. When I carry concealed I do so in a way that (unless you frisk me) you'd never know I was wearing a fierarm. That's the whole point IMO.

In Arkansas your firearm must remain concealed by law. Letting people know you're carrying could get you ticketed and your license revoked.

To each his own. Oh and I like 1911s but they're a much more "fussy" firearm then most modern concealed carry rigs. You can let a Glock slam shut on an empty chamber and dry fire the heck out of it with no worries.

#298 ·
In Alaska if the gun is legal for you to own you can do whatever you want with it. You can carry it in your hand with the hammer back as long as you don't point it at somebody. Don't take it into a saloon, schoolhouse, or courthouse. They might get nervous in the bank.
Before concealed carry, I walked to work at 3:30AM in a bad part of town and took to carrying a model 81 Woodmaster .35 Remington automatic slung over my shoulder. Everybody I met crossed the street to the other side when they saw me coming and it suited me fine. Even the drunken Indians became a little more alert looking.

#299 ·
California you can carry, with a concealed license, anywhere except post offices and courthouses, and primaryily-liquor-serving-establishments. Restaurants are ok but full on bars that don't serve food are not.

Schools are ok from kindergarten all the way up to colleges.

Surprisingly enough, for being California, open carry is LEGAL in unincorporated parts of counties of less than 200,000 population. Most of Northern California is pretty gun friendly, actually...its the yahoo's in SF and the criminals down south that ruin it for the rest of us.

I know a couple of guys that carry 1911's. You'd never know unless you touched it or had it drawn on you. It's all in planning and knowing its there. If you're smart and think about how you're going to carry it you could conceal just about anything you wanted to.

#300 ·
California you can carry, with a concealed license, anywhere except post offices and courthouses, and primaryily-liquor-serving-establishments. Restaurants are ok but full on bars that don't serve food are not.

Schools are ok from kindergarten all the way up to colleges.

Surprisingly enough, for being California, open carry is LEGAL in unincorporated parts of counties of less than 200,000 population. Most of Northern California is pretty gun friendly, actually...its the yahoo's in SF and the criminals down south that ruin it for the rest of us.

I know a couple of guys that carry 1911's. You'd never know unless you touched it or had it drawn on you. It's all in planning and knowing its there. If you're smart and think about how you're going to carry it you could conceal just about anything you wanted to.
An UZI carries pretty well on a shoulder sling under your overcoat like a Roscoe(sawed off DBL shotgun).

#310 ·
Yea, the laser is nice, but can you shoot without it? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.