Post Your Weapons - Page 52
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Like Tree490Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post Your Weapons in General Discussion; Man, I'm going to go BROKE trying to keep this thread alive! I can't keep buying new toys all the ...
    Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: Post Your Weapons

Man, I'm going to go BROKE trying to keep this thread alive! I can't keep buying new toys all the time!!!

TexasCadillac Guest

Re: Post Your Weapons - Damascus Steel Barrel

I just bought his on ebay for 19.99 plus 17 shipping. I should get it by tomorrow. It was shipped the 30th. Is there a place I can get a unfinished stock? I want to make it a wall hanger if I get a stock. Or I may sell it. It has a 30 inch barrel 7/8 one end 7/8 other end. from Syracuse NY. How can I find out how old it is and who made it? Any help is appreciated.

No idea what it is? It's still going to be missing the action, even if you find a stock, so it will have a big empty part in the middle... What markings are on it?

TexasCadillac Guest

I paid for it and it has been shipped, it should be here tomorrow. The seller said it has Syracuse NY on it. I hope I can get my money back. LOL

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Some sort of hammerless side-by-side double 12 or 16. Damascus barrels. NEVER try to shoot it. Sure death.

Is Turner Kirkland's Dixie Gun Works still in business ? They had skrillions of parts and stocks..........Tennessee, I think......used to get lots of black powder stuff and parts from them........

Hopefully some marks on the breech face or under the forestock (splinter forearm style) Hmmmmmm...7/8" (bore ???).....10 ga.???

Again, NEVER try to shoot a Damascus (twisted steel) barrel......disaster, absolutely guaranteed. If the pictures are even close in detail, the amount of wear and deterioration says the barrels would make a good tomato stake. Late 1800's - early 1900's judging by the lock.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Some sort of hammerless side-by-side double 12 or 16. Damascus barrels. NEVER try to shoot it. Sure death.

Is Turner Kirkland's Dixie Gun Works still in business ? They had skrillions of parts and stocks..........Tennessee, I think......used to get lots of black powder stuff and parts from them........

Hopefully some marks on the breech face or under the forestock (splinter forearm style) Hmmmmmm...7/8" (bore ???).....10 ga.???

Again, NEVER try to shoot a Damascus (twisted steel) barrel......disaster, absolutely guaranteed. If the pictures are even close in detail, the amount of wear and deterioration says the barrels would make a good tomato stake. Late 1800's - early 1900's judging by the lock.
    I'd always heard about how dangerous Damascus barrels were but a buddy of mine hunted for years with a Damascus barreled 12 ga. and used nothing but high base shells. It sure was a pretty gun.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Damascus is fine. That's like saying if you drive on firestones, its sure death. For some people, yea, it was. But SURE? No, not by a million. If you inspect the weapon and determine that it is safe, shoot it. If you find a crack or warpage or bulging or any of a myriad other issues that could cause it to be unsafe, don't shoot it. Simple.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I'm tired of Damascus knives as I think it's been way overdone, and most are pretty tacky, but every now an then one comes along that I really like. This one, which rests in my closet, is a true work of art. It was made by Joe Caswell, who also made the steel.

This is a Celtic knife with hilt form reminiscent of the migration period, though it could also be described as "Viking". It features the typical Celtic/Viking sword construction (three twisted/counter twisted Damascus billets with a separate laminated edge continuing around the tip). Alloys used include 1095, 1075, 15N20 and W2. The blade is 9 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide at the guard.

Hilt is antique wrought iron and sterling silver. The handle is stabilized juniper.

The sheath is fleece lined, leather covered maple with sterling silver mounts.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    I'm tired of Damascus knives as I think it's been way overdone, and most are pretty tacky, but every now an then one comes along that I really like. This one, which rests in my closet, is a true work of art. It was made by Joe Caswell, who also made the steel.

This is a Celtic knife with hilt form reminiscent of the migration period, though it could also be described as "Viking". It features the typical Celtic/Viking sword construction (three twisted/counter twisted Damascus billets with a separate laminated edge continuing around the tip). Alloys used include 1095, 1075, 15N20 and W2. The blade is 9 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide at the guard.

Hilt is antique wrought iron and sterling silver. The handle is stabilized juniper.

The sheath is fleece lined, leather covered maple with sterling silver mounts.
    It's a fine knife that you have there. So, it's actually designed after a real historical piece, as opposed to being fake Celtic?

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC View Post
    It's a fine knife that you have there. So, it's actually designed after a real historical piece, as opposed to being fake Celtic?
    That's my understanding from Joe, although I believe he based it on several knives as opposed to any single blade.

TexasCadillac Guest

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post

I sdid shoot a double barrel 10 gauge when I was 14 years old. It was a friends dads gun I shot only once in 1972, it had a damascus barrel. I would not shoot another one though. Are there any Microtech knife colectors here?

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Not my pic.....but a whole lot of awesome.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Damnitt Chris...I TOLD you to stop sneaking onto my patio!!!

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

All these CSI shows do matching of bullets to guns by the barrel marks.

Would not be possible to sand/lightly hone the barrel of a gun so as to change that distinctive fingerprint that bullets have ?
    It really does seem too easy.
    The barrel of the firearm scores the bullet. So how hard could it be to lightly sand/hone the barrel or even score it so as to create a different pattern on a bullet the next time it is fired ?
    The next best new one they talk about is firing pins. How they leave a fingerprint too. Im guessing that firing pins could be a dime a dozen ??????

But seriously ?
    How difficult would it be to change the pattern on the barrel of any gun ?

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

I'm no forensics expert, but I do have some understanding of firearms. It seems to me the rifling (or grooves) inside the barrel and the crown of the barrel are what would leave those signature marks on a bullet. Those marks are apparently what seem to be what links a firearm to a bullet.

If you file or sand on either the rifling inside the barrel or crown you'd basically ruin your firearm.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.