Post Your Weapons - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 162 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast
Like Tree490Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post Your Weapons in General Discussion; Mythbusters did an episode on the myth of getting "knocked down" by a bullet, of any caliber. They were shooting ...
    Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Post Your Weapons

Mythbusters did an episode on the myth of getting "knocked down" by a bullet, of any caliber.

They were shooting a pig carcass at close range with a 12 ga. rifled slug and it wasn't "knocking it down". It's all hollywood BS.

The difference in force to a human sized target between a 9 mm and .45 ACP is negligible.

Believe it.

If you don't believe it do the calculation yourself. It's simple math.

I'll also add that I've killed deer with buck shot, .358 (200 grain) and .30-06. In none of those situations did the target get blown down, flipped over, fly through the air, etc....by the force of the bullet.

If it's a well placed shot the target drops to the ground like a sack of potatos.

Gravity > "Knock Down Power"

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Classic debates. I agree that knockdown is a bunch of BS. But i don't particularily agree with the large diameter is better. I like velocity. A lot. Look into the shock effects of high velocity rounds going through tissue. Interesting reading if nothing else.

Anyone ever heard of the "Pink Fog"?

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

If you're dealing with a puss, shooting them with almost anything will probably make them stop, run away, fall down yelling "I've been shot" or whatever. You get a serious MoFo and you're going to have to shoot them somewhere that will make their body stop functioning - instant or rapid incapacitation. Otherwise it doesn't matter what you shoot them with, how much "shocking power" it transfers in an instant (because that only lasts for an instant) If they can continue to function they can return fire or attempt to harm you. Records from military battles are replete with examples of people getting shot with rifle rounds (.223, .308, .30-06), getting their appendages blown off, shot with .50 cal rounds, etc,etc and continuing to engage in combat because they were determined not to stop unless they no longer had the ability to. By all means don't believe what I'm telling you, go look it up for yourself. If that doesn't dispell the myths about "Stopping power, Knockdown power, Shocking power" and all the other wonderful ideas floating around out there, nothing will. The key is getting a large enough bullet to destroy/seriously damage the vital parts of the body and make them stop working.

EdmondClimber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Sit an ordinary sandbag on a sawhorse and you can't shoot it off of there with a .30'06. In a defensive situation against a large dangerous animal the so-called shocking power will do nothing for you. The best chance will be if you have something that will penetrate to a vital organ. For years the hands down favorite hand gun around here was the Colt Super .38 auto because of the jacketed round that would penetrate without deformation. I use a .458 Win.Mag. against grizzlies and brown bears with heavily constructed 510gr. bullets. If you hit the bear anywhere on the centerline the bullet will penetrate to the spine and he'll go down. The "shocking power" will barely faze him with a gut shot.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

I should clarify: I'm not referring to knocking them down (doesn't happen) I'm referring to killing an attacker instantly if I have to defend myself for any reason.

You speaking home/property defense or for carry in public ?

Public carry, why?

For the home, it's hard to beat a 12 guage shotgun, out in public / carry will almost certainly be a handgun.

Instant kill ? The best chance lies in a headshot through the brain. That simply means accuracy and practice with almost any pistol round .380 or larger. Of course if your round penetrates the spine and causes paralysis they'll drop in their tracks, dead or not. There was a LEO shootout with a guy who was shot 40+ times with 9mm by the LEOs and was still returning fire. (they didn't hit anything vital) Until one went and got the 12 guage w/slugs and shot him through the spine. He stopped shooting back after that.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    I'm a .45 fan, so a .45. As far as which gun ? Have you shot them both ?
    I knew there was something I liked about you. Man after my own heart.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Professionals like the Mosad use a .22LR to the head with a double tap.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

For the home, it's hard to beat a 12 guage shotgun, out in public / carry will almost certainly be a handgun.

Instant kill ? The best chance lies in a headshot through the brain. That simply means accuracy and practice with almost any pistol round .380 or larger. Of course if your round penetrates the spine and causes paralysis they'll drop in their tracks, dead or not. There was a LEO shootout with a guy who was shot 40+ times with 9mm by the LEOs and was still returning fire. (they didn't hit anything vital) Until one went and got the 12 guage w/slugs and shot him through the spine. He stopped shooting back after that.

So a 9mm hollowpoint loading ought to work just fine?

Almost anything works if it makes it through the skull If you're most comfortable with a 9mm then that's the one for you. If you practice and are accurate with the weapon it can do the trick. Accuracy is most important.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

1949 Y-shaped sling shot. Wife does not like guns.

Almost anything works if it makes it through the skull If you're most comfortable with a 9mm then that's the one for you. If you practice and are accurate with the weapon it can do the trick. Accuracy is most important.
    I have only fired pistol once, and it was a .40 cal. I would need to try some calibers and wepons out and see what I like. I was trained to use an M16A2, but you cant conceal those. ;-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.