350K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  FTSS 
#1 ·
Glock 17 9mm 18 rd mag and 33 rd mag

12 Gauge Mossberg 500 removable AR adjustable stock

M1 garand 30-06 8 rd

The whole family

See less See more
#1,307 ·
I inherited this a little while back from my grandfather. He said he got it from his brother some time around 1950. It's a Mossberg Rimfire .22

I found the scope in my grandparent's basement.

I thought this was interesting. The front folds down for a hand-hold.

It has a seven or eight round clip that goes with it. That's in my cigar box at the moment.

If anybody has any idea as to the year of this gun, please let me know. Thanks! :)

#1,312 ·
Sure, you could buy a whole line of firearms from Sears through their catalog. Heck, when I was 15 in DC I could ride a bike down to Sears on Wisconsin Ave. and buy bricks of .22 Long Rifle or boxes of .38 Spl. Nobody batted an eyelash. Every kid in Bethesda had a .22.

A Sears rifle and cleaning supplies brand was J.C. Higgins (?)

Get your hands on a 1950's Bannerman catalog. .45-70 Gatling guns, anyone ? $75.

Guns???? Hell, in the 1870's you could buy a bride from Sears, Roebuck & Company !

#1,314 ·
Sears also sold houses through their catalogue up through at least the 1930's. If you know what to look for you can see these "mail order kit hoouses" in many western and mid-western towns and cities still syanding and looking quite respectable after all these years. The railroads made mail order purchasing the way folks in small towns all over America bought both the necessities and luxuries of life from the 1880's on til the 1960's when it malls became more numerous.

#1,315 ·
That mossberg, is it a 151? If so, it was only made in 1950 and 1951.

#1,316 ·
Wait, never mind. It's not the 151, 'cause the 151 isn't magazine fed but through the buttstock.

#1,318 ·
Loving the HiPowers! I just picked up the semi auto version of that Mossberg .22 for a hundred bucks, and converted one of my Mossberg 500AT 12g's over to a 20" barrel and 8 round magazine. All it needs is a light and a pressure switch now. :D

#1,324 ·
Can anyone recommend a good gun safe for the money? I want about a 60" tall x 36" wide cabinet. I am looking at Paragon safes and some at the Gander Mountain store. I just bought a AR15 SP1 like new and a Henry 22 lever action that I will post pictures soon. I want a safe with a combination dial lock.

#1,325 ·
Yep, get to T/C Caplock rifles, #5024 (except .45) - that's mine.

Take a look at the American Security safe line - I have a 20-gun rifle safe upstairs and a smaller (300 lb.) bedside style (AM 4020) next to my side of the bed.........very good looking in Hunter Green metallic with gold lettering and S&G combination locks.

#1,328 ·
Now to not hijack the Christmas Tree thread...

Well, all the Judge talk has resulted in this:

The walnut grip sealed the deal ;-)

#1,329 ·
OMG...45 Long Colt target ammo is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....

Even in the dark days of the Obama inauguration, I could get 1000 rds of .40 for the price of 500 .45LC.... I might as well be buying .357Mag...

Reactions: CadillacLuke24
#1,333 ·
OMG...45 Long Colt target ammo is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....Even in the dark days of the Obama inauguration, I could get 1000 rds of .40 for the price of 500 .45LC.... I might as well be buying .357Mag...
WAY back in the Dark Ages I laid in a huge supply of .45 Colt cases in both brass and nickle plate, primers, various bullets, and many pounds of Unique and Winchester 231. (Same for .38 Spl. and .357) There's almost 400 # of lead in the garage and I have all the necessary molds, so right now I can reload target or moderate velocity .45 Colt for about 9 cents a shot. If you don't go crazy with power each case will reload 10 times before needing neck trimming, then 5 more.

Even today, with a modest investment at Midway Arms, you can teach yourself to handload. Simple hobby, fun, and you'll save a BUNDLE of $$$ after you amortize the initial equipment outlay. You don't need a turret press - a single station will let a pretty good handloader crank out 150 rounds in a couple of hours - to your own accuracy or power specs. Nice way to putter away a snowy afternoon. (No booze, no distractions, and NEVER give your handloads to anyone else.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.