Post Your Weapons - Page 31
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 161 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 81 131 ... LastLast
Like Tree485Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post Your Weapons in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Spyder $471 is too much for that gun. It's a short magazine, blued finish. Shouldn't pay more ...
    andrew99eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Post Your Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    $471 is too much for that gun. It's a short magazine, blued finish. Shouldn't pay more than about $375 for it.

You can always buy whatever stock you want and put on it later. I don't like the adjustable one myself...

Why not the stainless one for home defense?
    Im not gonna pay that much for one, i was just saying the price seems to be inline with what the website has them retailing at. Like you said i can just get the persuader pistol grip for a little under 300 and add the stock.

As for the stainless, i was just using the term because so many gun people i have talked to in the past always said an intruder will see the gun and know where you are at lol. I am really not that worried about it. I think the stainless looks the best in my opinion.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

I keep mine with the chamber empty. The sound of a pump action shotgun being racked definitely lets any intruder know where you are and will most likely make them crap themselves while crawling out through a window. After that, the only thing I have to worry about giving away my position is muzzle flash...

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Hey Spyder, this weekend or next I'll be getting a new AR-15 rifle. The dealer near me carries Bushmaster, the newer Smith and Wesson M&P 15, I think DPMS. The S&W trigger seems heavier and the rifle seems rather basic, but overall nice. The Bushmaster has better cheek rests on the 6-position stock, and I didn't really look the DPMS over. Both the S&W and Bushmaster has the A3 carry handle that will detach for optics and use the 5.56 round.

The S&W and the Bushmaster both run around $900 with a case and a 30 round mag. Which one would be the better buy in your opinion??

Eh...Rolex is the one to talk to about AR variants. I'm in good 'ol California and am rather limited on what I can and can't have so I haven't done much research on them other than the three or four that I have.

For me though, I'd just buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit and spare spring and pin kit. I'd buy one of the cheaper ones because at this base level, they're all identical anyway except for the stamping of the brand on the side. Put it together yourself so that you know how the thing works and when something fails you'll have a whole lot better understanding of how to fix it yourself and WHY and HOW it works instead of just pulling the trigger.

A stripped lower can be had for a hundred and ten bucks (DoupleStar, which all of mine are) or up to two hundred or so bucks for the big time name brand ones. Remember, like I said, they're all pretty much identical at this level. A lower parts kit should be around $60. I bought a DPMS lower receiver parts kit on gunbroker and had it delivered for about sixty. I would get a spare spring and pin lower parts kit because you will, without a doubt, lose or break SOMETHING in it the first time or three. At Rolex's recommendation I now have three spare complete kits laying at the bottom of the ammo safe.

The reason for this is because now you can customize it with any stock you want, any pistol grip you want and any upper in any caliber you want. I'd stick with 5.56/.223 for your first one as ammo is cheap (kind of), plentiful (though hard to find) and its common and the original caliber. Uppers can be had in MILLIONS of different variations, so let us know what you plan on doing with it and we'll let you know a few ideas on what uppers you should buy.

Other than that, if you don't want to go through the hassle of learning and building your own, buy whichever one feels better in your hand. Nine hundred with a case and a 30rd mag seems like a helluva good deal to me, for a brand new name brand rifle. You won't be disappointed either way.

Post pics when you get whatever it is you're going to get!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Eh...Rolex is the one to talk to about AR variants. I'm in good 'ol California and am rather limited on what I can and can't have so I haven't done much research on them other than the three or four that I have.

For me though, I'd just buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit and spare spring and pin kit. I'd buy one of the cheaper ones because at this base level, they're all identical anyway except for the stamping of the brand on the side. Put it together yourself so that you know how the thing works and when something fails you'll have a whole lot better understanding of how to fix it yourself and WHY and HOW it works instead of just pulling the trigger.

A stripped lower can be had for a hundred and ten bucks (DoupleStar, which all of mine are) or up to two hundred or so bucks for the big time name brand ones. Remember, like I said, they're all pretty much identical at this level. A lower parts kit should be around $60. I bought a DPMS lower receiver parts kit on gunbroker and had it delivered for about sixty. I would get a spare spring and pin lower parts kit because you will, without a doubt, lose or break SOMETHING in it the first time or three. At Rolex's recommendation I now have three spare complete kits laying at the bottom of the ammo safe.

The reason for this is because now you can customize it with any stock you want, any pistol grip you want and any upper in any caliber you want. I'd stick with 5.56/.223 for your first one as ammo is cheap (kind of), plentiful (though hard to find) and its common and the original caliber. Uppers can be had in MILLIONS of different variations, so let us know what you plan on doing with it and we'll let you know a few ideas on what uppers you should buy.

Other than that, if you don't want to go through the hassle of learning and building your own, buy whichever one feels better in your hand. Nine hundred with a case and a 30rd mag seems like a helluva good deal to me, for a brand new name brand rifle. You won't be disappointed either way.

Post pics when you get whatever it is you're going to get!
    Thanks bro!

Right now, I plan on using the rifle to re-familiarize myself with the AR/M16 type rifles I used while in the Army, so for now, I just plan on purchasing a unit that is already made... Personally, I am leaning towards the S&W.

Sad thing for me is, I remember how to do everything from a field strip to corrective actions, but I have not fired one since, oh, about 2001 or so. I first qualified expert, hitting 39 of 40, and consistently hit high 30's whenever I had to re-qualify...God I can't wait to fire one again, and yes, you can bet I'll post some pictures!

Sinister Angel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A boat

Curious, how do you hold your rifle? I don't grab the barrel anymore. I hold it by cupping the magwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Angel View Post
    Curious, how do you hold your rifle? I don't grab the barrel anymore. I hold it by cupping the magwell.
    I always preferred holding them at the barrel, but did try it by holding the magwell a few times. Guess it's a matter of whatever feels right.

Best friggin' way in the world to re-familiarize yourself with it is to build your own from scratch!

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by illumina View Post
    Hey Spyder, this weekend or next I'll be getting a new AR-15 rifle. The dealer near me carries Bushmaster, the newer Smith and Wesson M&P 15, I think DPMS. The S&W trigger seems heavier and the rifle seems rather basic, but overall nice. The Bushmaster has better cheek rests on the 6-position stock, and I didn't really look the DPMS over. Both the S&W and Bushmaster has the A3 carry handle that will detach for optics and use the 5.56 round.

The S&W and the Bushmaster both run around $900 with a case and a 30 round mag. Which one would be the better buy in your opinion??
    S&W farms the machining of their lowers out to CMT. CMT also procuces lowers for big names like Stag, Rock River, High Standard, Colt, Wilson Tactical, and maybe a couple other less known names. DPMS and Bushmaster are machined by LAR along with Grizzly, Ameetech, CMMG, Double star, Fulton and Spike's Tactical. All big names. All decent rifles.

The lower receivers are all (as stated above) basically the same. They will all have tooling marks unique to the tools used by the manufacturers that make them. None of that will have anything to do with function however, only finish.

Some manufacturers are known for not finishing their rifles as well as others....like not properly staking the gas key. That sort of thing can effect function, but IMO you're safe with Bushmaster, DPMS, and probably safe with S&W. I have personal experience with Bushmaster and DPMS, both are good rifles IMO. S&W is one of the newest big names to emerge as an "AR manufacturer" and I have only read positive reviews in the gun rags about them. As for personal experience with S&W rifles = none.

Like you I prefer the A3 removable handle. If you like the handle fine....I have kept a handle on one of my A3s. Otherwise the rail underneath makes mounting optics a breeze.

As for building an AR...that can be tricky the first time out. If you look you'll find online pics and tutorials. Buying a package deal like the ones you're looking at will guarantee compatibility of all the parts and the rifle is warranted to function well. Buy and shoot = GOOD. You could put together a rifle form parts kits (www.del-ton.com) around $600-700, but you'd better be prepared to trouble shoot and do some tweaking. IMO $900 for rifle, case, and 1 mag is fair. You may find a slightly better deal on a new one from www.gunbroker.com. Just FYI

Personally I have 2 Bushmaster ARs. I'd guess I have 20,000 rounds down the pipe of my first without a single problem. Though I'd suggest if you're going to shoot them a lot, you may want to get an extra spring kit and maybe an extra charging handle in case something breaks or bends you can replace it.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    S&W farms the machining of their lowers out to CMT. CMT also procuces lowers for big names like Stag, Rock River, High Standard, Colt, Wilson Tactical, and maybe a couple other less known names. DPMS and Bushmaster are machined by LAR along with Grizzly, Ameetech, CMMG, Double star, Fulton and Spike's Tactical. All big names. All decent rifles.

The lower receivers are all (as stated above) basically the same. They will all have tooling marks unique to the tools used by the manufacturers that make them. None of that will have anything to do with function however, only finish.

Some manufacturers are known for not finishing their rifles as well as others....like not properly staking the gas key. That sort of thing can effect function, but IMO you're safe with Bushmaster, DPMS, and probably safe with S&W. I have personal experience with Bushmaster and DPMS, both are good rifles IMO. S&W is one of the newest big names to emerge as an "AR manufacturer" and I have only read positive reviews in the gun rags about them. As for personal experience with S&W rifles = none.

Like you I prefer the A3 removable handle. If you like the handle fine....I have kept a handle on one of my A3s. Otherwise the rail underneath makes mounting optics a breeze.

As for building an AR...that can be tricky the first time out. If you look you'll find online pics and tutorials. Buying a package deal like the ones you're looking at will guarantee compatibility of all the parts and the rifle is warranted to function well. Buy and shoot = GOOD. You could put together a rifle form parts kits (www.del-ton.com) around $600-700, but you'd better be prepared to trouble shoot and do some tweaking. IMO $900 for rifle, case, and 1 mag is fair. You may find a slightly better deal on a new one from www.gunbroker.com. Just FYI

Personally I have 2 Bushmaster ARs. I'd guess I have 20,000 rounds down the pipe of my first without a single problem. Though I'd suggest if you're going to shoot them a lot, you may want to get an extra spring kit and maybe an extra charging handle in case something breaks or bends you can replace it.
    Cool!!! I appreciate the feedback bro!

I am personally leaning towards the S&W because they have been known as a fine manufacturer, and I have also read a few good reviews on their entry into the AR market as well.

Something I failed to mention, S&W has a promotion with a purchase of their M&P-15 - a new Sigma pistol for $99 (comes with 4 mags and a case as well)! I already have the .40 caliber, so I was thinking of adding their 9 mm to my collection (even though many people seem to think less of the Sigma series).

Eh, any brand name pistol for 99 bucks seems like a helluva deal to me.

On the AR's, I've got four DoubleStar lowers with DPMS lower parts kits. Never had a single problem I could trace back to those parts. On my .50 Beowulf I've had some minor issues with firing a lubed instead of totally dry chamber, but that's my fault, not that of the firearm.

Keep us posted...

Anybody have any experience with varmint calibers? I've got my mind set on buying something small and super fast, that I can watch things explode through the scope after pulling the trigger.

.204 Ruger and 22-250 are the two I'm looking at most, but 25-06 and the swift cartridges are also possibilities...

.17 Fireball maybe too... dunno... This is an entirely new realm to me and research isn't helping because its just making me want to buy them all!!!

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I thought the .221 was the "fireball" (Remington).

(I had one of those).

There's a new .17 remington fireball that is supposed to be pretty bad-ass. It's the .221 necked down, basically. Been around for a while as a wildcat cartridge known as the .17 Mach IV.

The .17 Remington is a .222 Rem Mag necked down and is a little bit faster but a lot more maintenance prone.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...n_Fireball.asp
    http://www.predatorxtreme.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=68

My decision is PROBABLY going to end up being determined by what the local gunshops have in town, followed secondly by the price of factory ammo...unless someone has some big news or story or strong opinion on one or another of the calibers/rifles I'm interested in...

And, because I wasn't very clear...the .17 Remington and the .17 Remington Fireball are two different cartridges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.