350K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  FTSS 
#1 ·
Glock 17 9mm 18 rd mag and 33 rd mag

12 Gauge Mossberg 500 removable AR adjustable stock

M1 garand 30-06 8 rd

The whole family

See less See more
#901 ·
Ha, tough to find anything with a pistol grip. Definitely doable, but have to follow lots of silly rules. A 74 would be tough to find, I'm sure...

#904 ·
Nah, I've been getting into longer range stuff again lately. Ungodly expensive, when you have to spend as much as you just did on the rifle for the optics you put on top...but hot damn, its fun hitting really small things at really long distances with really high powered weapons. :)

I built an AR in .204 Ruger that is SWEET. Semi auto with 22-250 performance. Almost 4300 fps! Vapor trails in the morning. Can't afford to feed it, currently, so I need to buy some damn reloading supplies!

#905 ·
Come on up to Knob Creek. They have a LOT of long range stuff sitting around that will reach out and touch someone.

#906 ·
Went shooting full auto this weekend with a buddy of mine. I dont own any full auto stuff curently its all his so i dont know all the details of the guns (what recievior built on, what kind of barrel etc) but the 2 autos we had was an M16, and a MP5

Here is a couple pics

Me shooting M16

My buddy getting ready to shoot the MP5

#907 ·
Hope those are NFA'd!

Been to Knob Creek. Badass. My dad lives in New Hope by Evanston! I'll be out there sometime in December...probably have to make another trip to Knob Creek for the hell of it.

#913 ·
Judging from the amount of brass lying around a reloader could have a field day. I can reload .45 Colt 10-12 times using moderate loads.......that's a lot of bucks saved.

Of course, handloading bottleneck cartridges for full auto popping is an exercise in futility !!!

#917 ·
This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#920 ·
No arguing in this thread. I can't afford to buy a new rifle!

#923 ·
*whimper* ...I better pick up some overtime...

...Been looking for a .458 Win Mag to pick up...

...DON'T GET THIS THREAD LOCKED!!!!

#925 ·
So what exactly is the purpose of owning some of these guns? I would have to say that they go a bit beyond 'personal protection' and do far too much damage to be of any use hunting. The Second Amendment speaks to the natural right to defend yourself, which in this day and age could be argued to require a firearm of some sort. But military grade weaponry? I don't see how that is necessary for personal protection.

:p

#929 ·
So what exactly is the purpose of owning some of these guns? I would have to say that they go a bit beyond 'personal protection' and do far too much damage to be of any use hunting. The Second Amendment speaks to the natural right to defend yourself, which in this day and age could be argued to require a firearm of some sort. But military grade weaponry? I don't see how that is necessary for personal protection.
There is more to owning a firearm then just personal protection. There's actually FUN to be had for those that enjoy shooting firearms and shooting sports. I have firearms I use to hunt, some that I use solely to have fun, others I use to gain focus and concentration, some I carry for personal protection, and some I own that I never shoot at all. If you were to rock climb, off road, drag race, and track race you couldn't do all that with only one vehicle. It's the same with firearms for those people who view it as a hobby or have adopted firearms into their way of life.

And FYI, in the days the second amendment was written the black powder rifle was what military and civilian alike owned. The second amendment has never drawn limits to the type of firearms an individual can own. There are laws governing the types of firearms that are legal to own that are completely unrelated to the second amendment. The 2A has always guaranteed that the individuals' right to own them cannot be infringed upon. ;)

#926 ·
It's exactly analogous to owning the fastest car or the ultimate computer or an 18k Rolex. Personal protection or weaponry or death and destruction don't figure into the equation one iota: it's "Look what I have".

I own a slew of firearms of all sizes, shapes, and colors plus dynamite and blasting powder for the farm, 20-some pounds of pistol and rifle powder for handloading, gasoline, paint thinner, knives, swords, a slingshot......you-name-it, and I would never consider murder, arson, whatever.

We need to crack down on drunk drivers, (who kill more people than all the devices above), go back to meaningful jail sentencing, return to public execution by hanging and firing squad, and muzzle lawyers who earn a staggering amount of money by returning the worst criminals to the streets. Fear is a positive crime deterrent, not rehabilitation. A dead criminal doesn't go back, Jack, and do it again.......

#936 ·
We need to crack down on drunk drivers, (who kill more people than all the devices above), go back to meaningful jail sentencing, return to public execution by hanging and firing squad, and muzzle lawyers who earn a staggering amount of money by returning the worst criminals to the streets. Fear is a positive crime deterrent, not rehabilitation. A dead criminal doesn't go back, Jack, and do it again.......
I agree with Sub's quote above, good stuff. Could not have explained it better myself...:)

#932 ·
Hobby-wise, there's always the education and realization that manually stuffing .451 caliber roundballs and FFFg black powder into the cylinders of a Colt or Remington cap and ball revolver made history in the U.S. from around 1850 to 1872. Prior to that it was patched roundball Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles and smoothbore pistols. Fun, and the encampments, reenactments, and rendezvous are memorable times.

Gothicaleigh is correct in one view: full-auto, whether Thompson, AK-74 or .45-70 Gatling, is for close-in massacre on a large scale, or for someone who is no marksman. Single shot, in whatever weapon, is for accuracy and picking them off one at a time, selectively. Takes a lot of concentration to effectively shoot your game through the right ear at 350 yards. Relax, hold a tad high for your known setting, breathe out, watch head movement, time the shot, and squeeze. Bit of wind ? Go for a lung shot.

#933 ·
=] And a Viper SRT-10 is for badass raw muscle quarter mile times while a Spitfire is for rounding corners with finesse and skill and a Truggy is for climbing impossible rock walls with way too much power and balls of steel. =]

To each his own. Different styles and varieties of the same hobbies require different tools to accomplish them. Single shot long range stuff is fun. So is rapid fire precision shooting at medium range. Hence my .204 Ruger chambered AR-15. Awesome round, low recoil, way more than one round per second and still more precise than I am. Good fun, either way.

#934 ·
`Leigh,
As far as automatic weapons go, sometimes you just gotta have the firepower. As far as the Second Amendment, you have to remember that the context in which it was written involved a country that didn't have a standing army at first. Whatever army it needed was to be called up from the citizenry, who would be bringing their own weapons and equipment with them. The weapons, of course, needed to be military-grade. The Second Amendment was also written by people who had just witnessed what a government could do to it's citizens when the wasn't an armed force to stop it. Geopolitical shifts being what they are, the Founding Fathers knew that they couldn't expect another country to come in and prevent a central government from oppressing it's citizens. Therefore, the armed force keeping the government in check had to be the people themselves, and they needed to be armed with weapons that would leave them at equal parity with whateer force was sent against them by an oppressive government.

Oh, the above also applied to invasions by foreign countries or hostile Indian nations.

#939 ·
That is quite interesting. The first time Id heard that.
So at the time it was written; It was written by the government, for the people, to protect the people from the government...?

Gives more of a meaning to "By The People For The People". It really does bring things together a-bit.

#938 ·
Sweet! I'd love to pick up a Luger or two, just to have one. I wouldn't want one of the super valuable ones, just an operational piece of history. Well, I'd take a high dollar one if I was loaded, but I'd rather have a shooter or two and a couple of other firearms than one super collectible piece. =]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.