Post Your Weapons - Page 22
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 162 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 122 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post Your Weapons in General Discussion; Newly installed Crimson Trace laser grips on my new S&W 340PD. This is a nice addition to a small conceal ...
    Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Post Your Weapons

Newly installed Crimson Trace laser grips on my new S&W 340PD. This is a nice addition to a small conceal carry piece. Behavioral science tells us in times of crisis we tend to focus on our target rather then on our sight picture and sight alignment. This is the likely explanation why there are so many missed shots during a fight with a handgun. Though, lack of good training also ranks high on the list of reasons for missed shots. Practice, practice, and more practice. Having a laser on your target may seriously help your shot placement during a fight for your life. As always, lasers and similar devices will fail, batteries will die. You should always train with your iron sights to be ready.

Model LG 105 http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=780 . These grips are the same approximate size and weight as the factory Hogue grips. It's a big plus not to add size to a small concealed carry piece IMO. However if you desire a longer grip to better fit your hand, CTC also fills that need with the LG 405 http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=533 . Not adding weight to a handgun made of scandium and titanium that only weighs 12 oz is paramount.

They come well packaged in a sturdy box wrapped in a lens polishing cloth. Included is the necessary hardware and one extra screw, tools for adjustment of the diode and one extra, and 2 lens cleaning swabs. The installation instructions are easy to follow, though installation isn't any more difficult then any other grip install.

The grip material feels like polymer, sturdy. I prefer the rubbery feel of the factory Hogue grip to these, but unlike cheap plastic, the cobblestone finish on the polymer grips aren't at all slippery. Still I deduct (-0.5) for personal preference here. I would prefer the grips be made of reinforced rubber. Sighting in couldn't be easier. Just align the laser with the iron sights using the included tools and you're done. "Zero" is retained even after removing and reinstalling for cleaning...and I confirmed this.

Most models have a master switch to turn the laser off for target shooting. This obviously helps when training with your irons sights at the range. I have to deduct (-0.5) for the lack of a master switch on the LG 105 model. Only half a point deduction because this handgun wasn't made for range plinking, so the ability to turn off the sight isn't a big deal IMO. J frame revolvers are made for carry and personal defense, and I believe the laser grips only make this defense tool more efficient.

The laser is activated by a pressure switch directly behind the trigger guard. I find that it activates easily when I get into my natural grip. The 5 mW laser is adequate for indoors and dim lignting but beam brightness suffers in direct sunlight. There is another limitation here, however. I have always trained to keep my finger along side the frame (outside the trigger guard) and off the trigger until I'm ready to fire. I find that when I rest my finger on the frame the beam of the laser is completely obstructed. In order to project the beam onto your intended target it is necessary to place your finger on the trigger, or change the placement of your finger to the bottom of the trigger guard. I have to deduct (-0.5) for this. I know the J frame is small and cramming all these goodies into such a small space seems impossible. This may be the best design possible but it falls short of perfect here.

Note finger resting on frame and the obstructed beam:

Finger on bottom of trigger guard allows beam to project, but this feels "different" then resting on frame:

Finger on trigger allows for unobstructed beam on target:

8.5/10 Still very, VERY good.

Cost is reasonable online. $161.48 shipped. I saved 5% with a coupon too.

disclaimer: the weak handed low grip pictured above it not the proper way to hold a firearm when shooting. It is for illustration purposes only. I am not responsible for lost teeth or loss of eyesight if you try to fire a J frame 357 magnum using the pictured limp sissified grip.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Why no less than 120g?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Why no less than 120g?
    From what I gather there are two basic schools of thought. First and most important S&W recomends that you load 5 rounds of the ammo you carry and fire 4 of them. Then remove the 5th (unfired) round and examine it. Compare it to another unfired round taken from the box of ammo. If the unfired bullet from your handgun has begun to wiggle its way out of the cartridge then you shouldn't continue to shoot them from your J frame. I suppose the smaller, shorter, 110 grain rounds don't seat as deeply into the case as a longer and heavier round. I'm told this can be dangerous.

Secondly lighter rounds are much less accurate then their heavier counterparts when fired from a 1-7/8 barrel. Fire a group of 158 grain and another group of 110 grain and you'll see the heavier load make a decent group and the lighter loads will be all over the target....and some may not hit the target all together. Rounds that don't hit their intended target go down range and strike something else. Not good for a weapon used for concealed carry.

Ok...makes sense. What is it about the J-frame that makes the longer bullet wiggle out then? Is it just because of the ultra-compact design there are slightly tighter tolerances and the tip of the bullet can tap against the frame when the cylinder revolves?

And the short barrel/heavy bullet thing I've never thought about. I learned something! Thankee sai!

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=53.30

"What does the bullet having to weigh 120 grains have to do with anything?
    With a lightweight gun firing 357 magnums the recoil can cause the lighter bullets to become uncrimped and jam the cylinder.
    ---Actually with the scandium/aluminum revolvers (which have a titainium cylinder) bullet weights less than 120 grains can cause scoring of the cylinder face caused by gas cutting. I accidently shot a box of 110 grain shells, and now my 340PD has little grooves on the cylinder face.---"

And this is a really good read, although long, and not much of it with citations.

http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/for...hp/t-9370.html

That link makes for some good reading.

I don't remember if I told you but I emailed the popular self defense ammo manufacturers (Federal, Cor Bon, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady) to ask if they have balistic data on their self defene loads fired from a 2 inch barrel. Oddly enough Speer is the only manufacturer to publish that kind of data on their website. All the others publish data on their loads fired from a 4 inch barrel to make their balistics look hulkier. Obviously 38 spl +P and 347 mag loads can't reach their full potential when they're fired from a 2 inch barrel.

Cor Bon makes ammo designed specifically for the 2 inch barrel niche but they refuse to publish the balistic data on it for some reason. So far Cor Bon was the only company to respond. Their national sales manager emailed me back with a sales pitch and no balistic data. It was worth a try anyway. All these companies seem very cautious about these 2 inch revolvers fro some odd reason.

RunningOnEMT is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 Redline CTS-V

any thoughts on the taurus 24/7 Pro chambered in .40

i need something to carry ... cheap enough ammo that i can go to the range once a week and put 100 round through it without going broke

and how about the taurus compact CC guns

MILLENNIUM PRO PT140 .40 S&W POLYMER PISTOL

Quote Originally Posted by IgotmeaV View Post
    and how about the taurus compact CC guns

MILLENNIUM PRO PT140 .40 S&W POLYMER PISTOL
    I hit on that in an earlier post. Taurus has long been considered a second tier weapon company with mediocre customer service. In the < $400 range those handguns are damn decent IMO. I bought my mother the PT 111 Pro and really liked it. It's a very well thought out piece IMO with some nice features, and good balance. It can be carried like a double action, chambered and ready to pull the trigger (similar to a Glock....though a Glock isn't a true double action). Anyway, it also has a selectable safety lever if that sort of thing turns you on. It has an easy to see loaded chamber indicator. My favorite feature is the second strike feature. If you strike a round that doesn't go off there's no need to work the slide to eject the round. You can pull the trigger again and strike the same round a second time. Ignition on the second strike is something like 98%. This is a very good feature to include on a concealed carry weapon.

Why is that useful you ask? Lets say you're in a fight for your life, using your left arm to defend yourself from an attacker with a knife (or similar). You draw your (loaded & chambered) firearm and pull the trigger only to hear "click." Now if you've had tactical training there's no need to drop your defensive arm to work the slide. Just Snag the rear sight on your belt, or pocket, or whatever, chamber another round and pull the trigger. If you lack the training you probably drop that arm and get stabbed to death or cold cocked. With second strike you just pull the trigger and go bang.....or at least the probability is it will go bang.

If revolvers have ANY advantage over autoloaders it would be in a similar scenario.

Personally I like the 24/7 and Millenium Pro, though there are definately other viable options in that budget price range. Whatever you do though don't try to save a buck and buy used. The first generation Millenium weapons had some bugs in the design. The "Pro" model is the latest generation with all those development bugs worked out. Most people's comments are opsitive. I hear Taurus' customer service still blows.

eta: my picture from the earlier post....that you missed:

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I hit on that in an earlier post. Taurus has long been considered a second tier weapon company with mediocre customer service. In the < $400 range those handguns are damn decent IMO. I bought my mother the PT 111 Pro and really liked it. It's a very well thought out piece IMO with some nice features, and good balance. It can be carried like a double action, chambered and ready to pull the trigger (similar to a Glock....though a Glock isn't a true double action). Anyway, it also has a selectable safety lever if that sort of thing turns you on. It has an easy to see loaded chamber indicator. My favorite feature is the second strike feature. If you strike a round that doesn't go off there's no need to work the slide to eject the round. You can pull the trigger again and strike the same round a second time. Ignition on the second strike is something like 98%. This is a very good feature to include on a concealed carry weapon.

Why is that useful you ask? Lets say you're in a fight for your life, using your left arm to defend yourself from an attacker with a knife (or similar). You draw your (loaded & chambered) firearm and pull the trigger only to hear "click." Now if you've had tactical training there's no need to drop your defensive arm to work the slide. Just Snag the rear sight on your belt, or pocket, or whatever, chamber another round and pull the trigger. If you lack the training you probably drop that arm and get stabbed to death or cold cocked. With second strike you just pull the trigger and go bang.....or at least the probability is it will go bang.

If revolvers have ANY advantage over autoloaders it would be in a similar scenario.

Personally I like the 24/7 and Millenium Pro, though there are definately other viable options in that budget price range. Whatever you do though don't try to save a buck and buy used. The first generation Millenium weapons had some bugs in the design. The "Pro" model is the latest generation with all those development bugs worked out. Most people's comments are opsitive. I hear Taurus' customer service still blows.

what would you recommend in the 500ish pricerange then ... thats about what i'm willing to spend on a compact right now...

i'm definitely leaning towards something in .40

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Taurus is better than Hy Hunter. Anybody else remember that crap. A firend of mine had a .44 magnum revolver. After he fired and reloaded it several times the cylinder bulged so badly that he couldn't eject the emptys. He sent it back to be fixed. It was returned with a new cylinder. He tried firing it some more and it did the same thing again.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Ha, I've never heard of Hy Hunter but I sure as hell don't like a bulged cylinder, especially not in a .44!

IgotmeaV: Ruger semi-autos are cheap. I don't know how compact they get because I've never really looked into them at all, but they're very affordable compared to most of what Rolex and I have talked about. They're bare bones, nothing special, going to go BOOM every time you pull the trigger no matter what you feed them pistols. From everything I've heard their customer service is outstanding (at least three years ago it was incredible) and you can pick up pistols and parts for next to nothing, even cheaper if you go the used route. Good well known brand name, good price, reliable and a bit heavy.

what about a springfield XD....i had a springfield doublestack 1991A1 and loved it... never fired anything else by them though

anyone ever heard of bersa? an ex girlfriend just bought a bersa pistol and loves it... i think shes a bit off her rocker though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.