Post Your Weapons - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast
Like Tree476Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Post Your Weapons in General Discussion; Here's a pic I took at the range today. (Left to Right); Ruger Mark II, Walther P99 QA, Ruger Mark ...
    ZeroOctane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 4.9L Seville - Navi w/ backup cam, 40 Series Exhaust

Re: Post Your Weapons

Here's a pic I took at the range today. (Left to Right); Ruger Mark II, Walther P99 QA, Ruger Mark III, S&W .357 model unknown

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Crimson Trace rocks.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Ya ever have trouble with standard or low velocity ammo in your MkII? Mine only takes high velocity stuff without jamming. It doesn't like to push the bolt all the way back and I get a semi-FTE the minute it starts to get dirty. It seems to really like CCI MiniMags though and can usually go through a hundred or more before needing to be blasted out with aerosol lube. I need to get around to doing some work on it one of these days and making it feed the cheap stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Ya ever have trouble with standard or low velocity ammo in your MkII? Mine only takes high velocity stuff without jamming. It doesn't like to push the bolt all the way back and I get a semi-FTE the minute it starts to get dirty. It seems to really like CCI MiniMags though and can usually go through a hundred or more before needing to be blasted out with aerosol lube. I need to get around to doing some work on it one of these days and making it feed the cheap stuff...
    I can put whatever in the Mark II without a problem. Hell, I buy my .22's at Walmart, usually Remington's, Winchester's or Federal's which I believe are all 36 grain (I know Remington's are for sure). Always copper coated because they jam less and it's easier to clean, except when shooting indoors during the winter due to the backstop I use lead.

Mark III is another story. It's touchy and can jam for no obvious reason. There is one major cause of jaming and that's the loaded chamber indicator on the side which sometimes catches the ejecting shell and causes a jam. One of the major reason's why I'll be selling it too.

Hell, I bet that's a BIG part of your issue. Just get yourself a dremel and smooth it out! My dad's old MkII never once jammed, that I remember but this one of mine now, which is the same stainless 6" yours appears to be, will get stovepipes all the time with low or standard velocity ammo. I just need to get my lazy butt around to fixing it, really...

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I've put thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through my model 41 S&W Olympic .22LR and I can't recall a malfunction. That's probably why it cost me $140 over forty five years ago and it's worth more than ten times that much today. It's the only one I've ever seen with the full Olympic counterweight set and the muzzle brake. At one time I had a Colts Woodsman Target model and it didn't even come close to being the weapon the S&W is. I had a Ruger and it drove me nuts because it was always loosening up and the barrel would slide back and forth on the frame. It was a bitch to tighten because I had to make my own parts and it would just go back to doing it again.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Just ordered a model 41 with a 7" barrel.

OT: Crimson Trace rocks!

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Just ordered a model 41 with a 7" barrel.

OT: Crimson Trace rocks!
    My model 41, S/N 3025 has a 7 3/8in. barrel with the little nub that sticks out that the muzzle brake slips over. There are two different little weights, one aluminum and one steel that can be inserted in the end of the barrel below the muzzle. The bottom of the barrel has machined groves that the three individually adjustable weights that go clear down over the trigger guard slide onto. It still shoots as well as the day it was new.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Just got my new .50 Beowulf dust cover in the mail.

Laser engraved. Cool. The guys at the forum are thinking about making one that says "One Shot" on the outside and "One Kill" on the inside, but discussion about whether that would lead prosecutors in a home defense situation to try and push pre-meditated has kept it at bay. I like it. A bunch.

Just got my new .50 Beowulf dust cover in the mail.

Laser engraved. Cool. The guys at the forum are thinking about making one that says "One Shot" on the outside and "One Kill" on the inside, but discussion about whether that would lead prosecutors in a home defense situation to try and push pre-meditated has kept it at bay. I like it. A bunch.

Teacher had my friend who was wearing a Jack Daniels T-Shirt go down to the office and change because it "Violated neutral school policy". I'm tempted to wear one of my NRA T-Shirts and see what happens.

That's a nice looking rifle there. There was a fellow that was shooting an M4 the other day at the range and it was fearsome, despite the fact I'm not a big fan of the .223

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroOctane View Post
    despite the fact I'm not a big fan of the .223
    Really. For what reason?
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Really. For what reason?
    My opinion is that the .223 is underpowered and not suited for combat. Sure, if you shot a civilian or any normal person with any firearm chambered for a .223 they'd probably be incompasitated. But I'm talking about combat. Guys with adreneline pumping through their veins, and occasionally doped up on coke (Somali). It's a little bit different in combat, and generally speaking the 5.56 doesn't measure up to the 7.62.

It's just like the 9mm. The U.S. adopted the 9mm 92FS to go along with the popular 9mm in Europe. Just like the new kid trying to fit in, the U.S. wanted to use a NATO approved round and fit in so they took the Beretta after 75 years (exactly) of reliable and proven service from the M1911. That handgun served two world wars, two major wars and countless other conflicts and throughtout all of that it proved itself. It didn't even take ten years for the Beretta to be disproven in combat, guys started complaining about it in Persian gulf. Now they're re-issuing, in limited numbers, M1911's. Same thing with the 5.56. It serve's it's use in particular situations but in common use on the battlefield I think the 7.62, .30x06 or even a .303 round would be better used.

While I love my 9mm Walther P99 I hate the fact that it's a 9mm. I'd trade it in for a .45 if Walther made the P99 in a .45 but they don't. I'm even considering trading up to a .40 S&W. Obviously I'm not using the pistol in combat now, but I simply don't care much for these underpowered, high capacity guns that everyone's getting these days. They don't impress me. I'd rather have raw power like a .45 or .357, not a lot of a little.

When you're talking life or death I'd rather have a bullet bigger than the enemy's or at least equal to, not smaller. The upper hand is everything in combat. Just talk to some combat veteran's and I bet they'll verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroOctane View Post
    My opinion is that the .223 is underpowered and not suited for combat. Sure, if you shot a civilian or any normal person with any firearm chambered for a .223 they'd probably be incompasitated. But I'm talking about combat. Guys with adreneline pumping through their veins, and occasionally doped up on coke (Somali). It's a little bit different in combat, and generally speaking the 5.56 doesn't measure up to the 7.62.

It's just like the 9mm. The U.S. adopted the 9mm 92FS to go along with the popular 9mm in Europe. Just like the new kid trying to fit in, the U.S. wanted to use a NATO approved round and fit in so they took the Beretta after 75 years (exactly) of reliable and proven service from the M1911. That handgun served two world wars, two major wars and countless other conflicts and throughtout all of that it proved itself. It didn't even take ten years for the Beretta to be disproven in combat, guys started complaining about it in Persian gulf. Now they're re-issuing, in limited numbers, M1911's. Same thing with the 5.56. It serve's it's use in particular situations but in common use on the battlefield I think the 5.56, 7.62, .30x06 or even a .303 round would be better used.

While I love my 9mm Walther P99 I hate the fact that it's a 9mm. I'd trade it in for a .45 if Walther made the P99 in a .45 but they don't. I'm even considering trading up to a .40 S&W. Obviously I'm not using the pistol in combat now, but I simply don't care much for these underpowered, high capacity guns that everyone's getting these days. They don't impress me. I'd rather have raw power like a .45 or .357, not a lot of a little.

When you're talking life or death I'd rather have a bullet bigger than the enemy's or at least equal to, not smaller. The upper hand is everything in combat. Just talk to some combat veteran's and I bet they'll verify that.
    Well said my friend. There's a world of difference between the stopping power of the 5.56 vs the 7.62. Soldiers have been crying for return of the 30 caliber since the 60s. I was reading a gun rag last week an article about the re-issue of Vietnam era M 14s. It's desirable for the same reasons you listed. Not to mention the 7.62's practical range is significantly greater then that of the 5.56.

Now handgun rounds....maybe maybe not. I'm on the fence here. Ammunition selection has a huge effect on a handgun's stopping power ( because we know handguns don't have "knockdown power"). If you're firing good ole' fmj rounds, it's the 230 grain round from the 45 acp FTW. With the proper selection of a well designed hollow point the ability to stop an attacker with a 45 is probably not significantly greater than that of the .40 or the 9mm. But all evidence based on Evan Marshall's studies and the FBI's ballistic testing suggests that even with proper ammo your ability to stop an attacker with the (desirable) single shot, falls off sharply with calibers below the 9mm.

Whether you agree or not, I'm sure we can both agree that ALL bullets fail. There are case studies of people taking on as many as 15 rounds from a 9mm and staying in a fight. I've also read of a case of a man taking 9 hits from the ole' faithful 45 acp and staying in the fight. So when people ask me the ubiquitous, "what caliber should I carry" question, I tell them whatever you can shoot well. If you can't make repeatable hits into center mass....and more importantly you can't place follow up shots into center mass, the tactical advantage goes to your attacker.

ETA: When I started building up my collection I also stacked ammo and mags DEEP for my ARs (all 5.56). Now that surplus ammo has become so very expensive I'm reluctant to change over to the 7.62. I've been stroking an original HK 91 at my local fun shop that calls out to me at night...."Rolex....buy me....give me a good home." I know if I buy it I'm going to have to follow it with lots of goodies like mags and ammo, but my safe is already overflowing.

"Rolex... ... ...this is AA... ... ...Buy a Beowulffffffff..."

"Rolex... ... ...this is AA... ... ...Buy a Beowulffffffff..."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.