Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Alternative Rock Recommendations?

2K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  P-Funk 
#1 ·
So lately, I've been getting into some alternative rock, namely '90s Grunge. Stuff like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains....and even a little bit of R.E.M. :shocked2:

What can you guys recommend?

Reactions: Rolex
#3 ·
I burned Soundgarden's "Superunknown" onto my computer last year, I liked "Blackout Sun" a lot, but then my computer crashed and I havent' gotten it back yet.

#4 ·
Wow, you're just discovering this stuff? Oh man, I don't know where to start.

Where did you burn the album from?

Anyway, you seem to be on the right track, as far as what bands you're listening to. Just keep digging into their stuff, you have plenty to choose from. And what's so shocking about R.E.M? they have some great stuff. Especially it's the end of the world as we know it. Did you know that they used that song as the pattern for the opening of Friends? Then they wrote the theme song with the same tempo later.

Well, that's my pearl of useless information for the day...

#6 ·
Haha, wow I can't believe I missed that.

I was shocked to say REM because their group, (IIRC), atleast Michael Stipe, is super left and one of those environmentalist types...not exactly up my alley.

I burned the album from a copy I got from the college I went to. I don't go to college anymore and I don't dare step into the local public library, so I've either gotta buy it or download it.

Aside from Grunge, what other types of alternative is there?

#8 ·
Yes, weren't they started by Dave Grohl...the drummer from Nirvana?

#11 ·
Ha...My entire album of CD's would fit you nicely...well...if you pulled the country and the hard rock/metal out of it.

Try the song Stars by Hum. F'ing AWESOME song that no ones ever heard of.

Look into Floater. Probably hard to find as they're a local group up in the Portland area, but they come to Chico quite often and kinda call that one of their hometowns. Best way to describe them is if Pink Floyd was an early nineties grunge band with a bit of heavy metal mixed in. Gooood shiznit.

#14 ·
Ha...My entire album of CD's would fit you nicely...well...if you pulled the country and the hard rock/metal out of it.

Try the song Stars by Hum.
Downloading as i type this. Evergreen Terrace apparently did a cover of it also...

Chad, you have SO MUCH to learn about great '90's music. I can help here. My computer is full of it. Well 80's and 90's alternative and rap.

I will post later with songs you have to download...

#17 ·
STP...that's the one I was thinking of. Scott Weiland and the rest of Pearl Jam (it was Pearl Jam right?). Is their stuff a lot like Pearl Jam?

What are great alternative albums?

So far, I have:

Automatic for the People: REM
Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness: Smashing Pumpkins
Dirt: Alice in Chains (or are they just metal?)
Nevermind: Nirvana
Ten: Pearl Jam

#18 ·
STP...that's the one I was thinking of. Scott Weiland and the rest of Pearl Jam (it was Pearl Jam right?). Is their stuff a lot like Pearl Jam?
Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of Pearl Jam. :alchi:

Scott was Stone Temple Pilots & Velvet Revolver. :alchi:

This thread makes me feel like I'm back in high school, getting drunk, running my car off the road into snow banks, throwing corn cobs at police cars, pi$$ing on door handles in the winter, etc. Man I miss the good ol' days. :alchi:

#22 ·
My mom's got "Cracked Rear View", I've got "Let Her Cry" from that album, pretty good song. I wouldn't really consider them alternative though...maybe more like "adult comtemporary"?

I don't remember much of the music from the '90s, the stuff I do remember is what they played on KS95 back then, the chick artists like Cheryl Crow, Alanys Morisette, etc etc. When my mom and I used to go to her office in St Paul, we'd always listen to that stuff on the drive down, I can remember driving up 35-E, crossing the Mississippi river in that 626 we had listening to "Jagged Little Pill" when I was like eight or nine...1995-96.

#25 · (Edited)
Toadies- Possum Kingdom
Cake- Never There
Presidents of the united states of America- Peaches
Lit- Miserable
Collective Soul- Shine
Live- Lightning Crashes
Bush- Machine Head
Blur- Song 2
Space Hog- In the meantime
Monster Magnet- Space Lord
Oasis- Wonder Wall
Faith No More- Epic
Marcy's Playground- Sex and Candy
Squirrel Nut Zippers- Hell
Butthole Surfers- Pepper
Jane's Addiction- Jane Says
Harvey Danger- Flagpole Sitta
Everclear- Watch the World Die
Blind Melon- No Rain
311- All mixed up
Placebo- Pure Morning
Filter- Hey Man Nice SHot
Radiohead- Creep
Stone Temple Pilots- Plush
Tool- Schism
The Offspring- Hit That
Pearl Jam- Jeremy
Nirvana- Man who sold the world
Weezer- Undone
Smashing Pumpkins- 1979
Candlebox- Cover Me
Eve 6- Beautiful Oblivion
Blues Travelers- Runaround
Alice in Chains- Rooster

Hmm...that's all I can think of right now.

Get Sirius and listen to Lithium-90's Alternative and Grunge..it's channel 24 and it's kick ass

edit: I thought maybe I'd list a song by each band just for the hell of it. Only one song, but each one is one of that bands best hits.

#28 ·
Jeremy spoke in class today.

^ my ringtone.

#29 ·
I'm a big fan of Pure Morning by Placebo myself. Listen to it in the car quite often. Shine by Collective Soul is another great one too..

Some other bands I forgot...

Sublime- Santeria (my favorite ring tone)
Beck- Looser
hmm..I guess those were the only two I could remember on top of that list...haha.

edit:
Social Distortion- Ball and Chain
Soul Asylumn- Runaway Train
More keep popping into my head every few minutes...

#30 ·
Dude. This thread is awesome. Friday night we had a band in the bar, called Metaln, which you can find on myspace at myspace.com/metaln, who played

Candlebox, Alice in Chains, Ozzy, Pearl Jam, STP and some Silverchair. They f'ing rock. I'm working on getting them to come back to the bar soon, cause they are GOOD.

That is all.

#34 ·
Alright, after a few weeks, a few downloads on iTunes and a few bought albums, here's what I got so far:

Downloaded off of iTunes:

Jane Says: Jane's Addiction
Been Cought Stealing: Jane's Addiction
Bound For the Floor: Local H (props to Jonas for the recommendation)
Sex and Candy: Marcy Playground
Heart Shaped Box: Nirvana
Wonderwall: Oasis
Champagne Supernova: Oasis (probably one of my favorite '90s songs)
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy): Offspring (loved that song when I was like 12)
Plush: Stone Temple Pilots
Interstate Love Song: Stone Temple Pilots
Fast Car: Tracy Chapman (excellent, excellent song)

Champagne Supernova turned me onto Oasis. I read the album reviews on Amazon.com and on Wikipedia, and I liked what I heard, plus my best friend told me (What's the Story) Morning Glory was a great album, so I went out and bought it on Friday, and after a few thorough listens, I'm quite satisfied. It's got something for everyone...fast paced songs about drugs (Morning Glory), happy poppy tunes (She's Electric), ballads (Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall). I like britpop, I think I'll start to buy more of Oasis, then maybe move into Coldplay and other bands of that sort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.