Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Letter of reference...use it or not?

812 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  wht2000 
#1 ·
Poorly written, grammatically incorrect, formatted terribly.

It's for a law enforcement job and its from a retired law enforcement officer, so I think its a good one to have, but should I use a letter of reference that is not very well written? Would it look bad on ME or should I go ahead and use it?

I'm thinking re-write it and have him read and sign it... ... ...but that's kind of a pain in the ass to go track him down.:banghead:

#5 ·
Tough call. Having sat on an interview committee for 3 years (albeit for anesthesia school) I believe a poorly written letter could reflect poorly on you. As an interviewer I would take into account the content of the letter, but I may have doubts about the quality of the person writing it. I say don't use it unless the guy goes on and on about how wonderful you are and how you have always aspired to be a LEO. If it's not enthusiastically written I say dump it.

#6 ·
Yea, those were my thoughts, that it could look bad on my if its done too poorly...but he DID give me permission to re-write it...so I'm thinking I'll end up doing that...

#10 ·
If your only in the process of submitting a resume then dont attach any references.
Its my experience that its proper to say on a resume, "References Available Upon Request".
Its amazing how many people believe its correct to submit an application/resume that reads like a biography of there lifes experiences.

Should be short sweet and to the point. Give all and only the info that is required. The person that is going through the polethera of applications doesnt have the time to read everyones whole work history, life experiences etc... those ones will ususally get passed by.
Bring your references etc. with you for the first and or subsequent call backs. When you actually go in to see someone personally. Those are the ones that care about those such things.
And you then have the opportunity to explain certain details, in detail, on a personal level.
Things like the fact that this ex Law Enforcment friend is getting older and his punctuation is slipping a bit etc.....Though we have known eachother for years.
That is also the time to add in that you were given permision by him to rewrite it with the correct punctuation etc.....But felt that would not be appropriate. No one rewrites someone elses notes. That would only lead to an automatic mistrial.........

Say something like that in an interview and thats major points.
Honesty is the best policy.

Good luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.