Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1973 Fleetwood 75. I want one.

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Faded Crest 
#1 ·
At the moment I drive a Lexus LS 430. It's a great car. But it's not cool. Not one little tiny bit. Oh there are cool things about it. Reliable, comfortable, accelerates like a bat out of hell and has more little tech gadgets than Bill Gates' house. But I'm bored out of my mind. I want something with a soul. I'm too poor to get a new Maserati and I really hate SUVs (which IMO are even more soul-less than a generic Jap/Euro sedan).

Enter the 1973 Fleetwood 75. The longest production car ever made in any real numbers. 9 passengers. 9!!! Great looks, and still affordable.

My question is... Am I crazy thinking I can find a decent original one of these and go through it upgrading here and there, but keeping it stock-looking so that I can use it as a daily driver? I'm no stranger to long cars having owned a 69 Road Runner convertible for 12 years (but couldn't drive it due to it being old and rare and old...did I mention it had drum brakes? It was old). That car was impractical as a daily driver but not because it was too long.

My current plan, unless I'm told it's insane, is to find a clean example of one of these land yachts and do some minimal upgrades (electronics, interior, brakes, mechanicals) but otherwise keep it stock-looking and just drive it hell out of it every day. I figure if some soccer mom can go around in a Cadillac Escalade ESV which is a little longer than a city bus, why not a Fleetwood 75?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, maybe you can find one, but I think it's more of a weekend vehicle due to its length. Where are you going to park it? No parking stations as its too big, let alone gas mileage. I drive my two 1978 Lincolns daily and at 233 inches long, they're big enough, your limo would be at least a foot or more longer.

Then again, your proposed upgrades - maybe better brakes and steering, but as for electronics, what do you propose to upgrade?

I'm a believer in establishing the issues of a vehicle and correcting those, especially, as in your case, 42 years after production, these things are known along with the solutions.

Ultimately, there comes the point where we have to decide what we want - an old car in top shape as best it can be - a new car - or an old body on a new frame with modern gearbox, engine etc like putting it on a suburban frame, but that's not the "real" experience of that car, gee my Lincolns have body lean but it's part of their charm, the day I don't love them for the way they are I'll need to sell them and buy something else, but I love them and want to keep them, faults and all.

Best wishes to you in your search.

#3 ·
The 75 would be cool to take to shows but I think you'd tire of it as a daily driver. The length would pose a challenge for everyday manuverability and fuel cost would be a lot.

Have you considered a Fleetwood Brougham? It's over 19' and has footrests in the rear like a limo.

Here's one on Autotrader: http://www.autotraderclassics.com/c...leetwood-2054348.xhtml?conversationId=2892176

Here's a link to Cadillac brochures you might like if you don't have it http://www.lov2xlr8.no/cadillac.html

Good luck

#4 ·
I think you should make it happen because if you don't try you'll never know. Of course it's huge, but this is America and there is plenty of room for a car like that. A mere Fleetwood Brougham would be easier to maneuver but what about your eight friends you want to bring out for cocktails and dinner?! I previously owned a 1978 Fleetwood Limousine (non-divider) with low miles and in mint condition - I regret selling to a friend who still owns and loves it. I currently own a 1979 Sedan deVille, 78 Olds Regency, and 82 Park Avenue diesel, just those three old cars, and they are always a delight to drive and I couldn't imagine driving an every day generic melted down bubble car of the current era so I understand where you are coming from with your Lexus dissatisfaction. :)

#5 ·
Hey! I'm back! A little bit chastised after seeing a few of these in person. Just too big to be considered anything but a fun weekend car. But there is some bad/good news that happened. Some ******* stole my Lexus. Sooooooo. Unless it appears in the next few days (and hopefully without being destroyed or parted out) I will be in a position to buy a new car. I am NOT going to get a bland sheep-mobile this time. I want some style.

So I am looking at both Lincolns and Cadillac cars. Cadillac is winning on looks (IMO of course) but so far what I find is too rough. I don't mind doing some of the updating I mentioned earlier, but restoration is out of the question. I need a car I can get into and drive right away.

So... let's say a big late 70's Caddy... 4 door... something that fits 4 to 6 bodies in the trunk and plenty of room in the back for "playing poker." Which models do you guys recommend I look at?

#6 ·
Aww, sorry to hear about your Lexus. I hope it turns up or the insurance payout is nice :yup:.

I totally understand the appeal of those old Fleetwood 75's. I looked at a beat up '73 and a somewhat acceptable '72, but neither was as close to the shape that my '76 Fleetwood Brougham is. Heh, part of me still wants to experience what it's like to chauffeured in the backseat of one of those though.

The late 70's had some great Cadillacs. The 425 V8 and TH400 automatic was a pretty reliable combination. Efficiency is decent enough in probably the mid teen's for gas mileage. Starting in 1977, the 4 door Sedan Deville and the Fleetwood Brougham were pretty darn similar. The bodies were almost exactly the same, and the key differences were in trim and options.

Just take your time and do your diligence in researching these old boats. I'm sure a great one will come your way. Enjoy the hunt!

#12 ·
Hello again!

It's been a while and life has gotten in the way of my plans, but the plans remain. I've discarded the idea of the Fleetwood 75 even though I love it, it's just way way too big. Also, I've been searching for an unmolested original and it seems they are getting scarce on the ground at least locally. Once the kids learn to drive at the end of the year, I'm going to hand the LS430 down to them, because it's big and safe, and start looking in earnest for the resto-mod candidate. I'm really liking the larger late 70's models as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.