1964 deville...A/C not Blowing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By superjeep
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1964 deville...A/C not Blowing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1964have no power at blower motor. Does this have two blower resister and where does blower motor get it's power ...
    mjordanlmj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 deville

1964 deville...A/C not Blowing

1964have no power at blower motor. Does this have two blower resister and where does blower motor get it's power from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

Re: 1964 deville...A/C not Blowing

I'd check the blower motor relay. It's on the passenger side of the firewall on a 70'. I'm not sure where it is on your 64'.

superjeep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 sedan deville,69 sedan deville,64 fleetwod 60 special

there is a time delay switch. its a white two prong switch on the blower housing under the hood by the pass side hinge. take the two screws out and with the key on manually switch with you finger. if the motor comes on chances are the master vacuum diaphragm is torn or cracked......they are not fun to replace. and you can bypass the switch but that master vac opens a food to the air box too so its best to do it right and replace it

----------

i just fixed my climate control on my 64.....so i know a good amount about them now
    mjordanlmj likes this.

mjordanlmj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 deville

Quote Originally Posted by superjeep View Post
    there is a time delay switch. its a white two prong switch on the blower housing under the hood by the pass side hinge. take the two screws out and with the key on manually switch with you finger. if the motor comes on chances are the master vacuum diaphragm is torn or cracked......they are not fun to replace. and you can bypass the switch but that master vac opens a food to the air box too so its best to do it right and replace it

----------

i just fixed my climate control on my 64.....so i know a good amount about them now
    see the switch, but no wires to it The plug that goes to it is plugged into some kind of add on vacuum
    switch with several vacuum lines

Ahhhh so its been bypassed already. With the key on reach under that part and squeeze it. It should click and turn the motor on. If you have any questions message me your number and I can walk you through tests. Just put what was done and what you found on here in case anyone else is having the same issue

FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

Too busy with bigger fish to fry but my 68 does not blow any air in any position. Supposedly was at least blowing heat according to my buddy. All those vacuum lines give me the heebie jeebies lol

CadillacRichard is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There is a Boat switch that is vacuum controlled. It is on top of the heat exchange box. It must have power going to it, also if you depress the bottom of it it should click, then engage the fan. Make sure you have power at the switch and make sure you test the fan also with a hot lead.

that boat switch isn't on a 64. the 64 uses a time delay switch that is activated by the master vacuum diaphragm

----------

fox i have a 68 that i re did all the climate control on. so i know all about that too hahaha. if you depress the master vac switch with the 4 vac lines going to it with the key on does the blower motor kick on? if not pop the single wire off the motor and see if it gets 12 volts

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

I recommend getting Cadillac Tim's Climate Control book for 1964. That was the first year of Climate Control in any car ever.

Cadillac did some strange things back then to get automatic Climate Control, primarily using temperature sensitive resistors (where resistance varies with temperature) in series, coupled to a transducer to convert an electrical signal to a vacuum strength, and using that vacuum strength to regulate fan speed and amount of heat to blend. They also used a separate vacuum system to close up on a vacuum switch (referred to as the "Master Switch" also called "steamboat switch" by many), which is very susceptible to any vacuum leak. That master switch has to remain closed (vacuum pulling in (up) in the diaphragm) Constantly, or else the fan will shut off!

They also used a "Time Delay relay" which is essentially more vacuum lines, to delay activation of the blower when changing modes.

All of this can leak, I have experienced just about every type of vacuum line leak, and any one of them will shut the system down.

Cadillac Did use a Master Switch in 1964. If it's not there, it has been bypassed, probably incorrectly. Closing the Master Switch Should energize the fan, IF it is otherwise good. You can also jump together the two wires going into the master switch, simulating a closed switch.

If you don't already have, get the factory service manual. It should have a complete climate control vacuum diagram in it.

Good luck. Once you get an understanding of the system, it's not hard to isolate the problem area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.