1950 61 Series Sedan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By fender1325
  • 1 Post By fender1325
  • 1 Post By 77CDV
  • 2 Post By fender1325
  • 1 Post By CADforce69
  • 1 Post By fender1325
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1950 61 Series Sedan in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All. I have started a journey with my first classic car, in need of much TLC, a 1950 Cadillac ...
    fender1325 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1950 61 series sedan

1950 61 Series Sedan

Hello All.

I have started a journey with my first classic car, in need of much TLC, a 1950 Cadillac 61 series sedan. Many obstacles along the way, as to be expected. So far I've rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned out the gas tank,
    replaced the rubber fuel hoses that connect to the tank from the filler neck, replaced the sending unit, replaced the water pump, replaced rad hoses, 2 heater hoses, had radiator acid washed out, rebuild carburetor, new
    spark plugs, rotor/cap, points, wires, condenser, coil. I think thats everything for now.

I've flushed out the engine with the garden hose, and the radiator, several times now, but it still runs hot. I fear a head gasket might be bad. Tried undoing the bolts on the exhaust manifolds so I could remove the heads but those bolts are rusted on really good.

Anyhow, here she is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUoEP9fAtU
    CADforce69 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1950 61 Series Sedan

Don't often see a Series 61. Well done for saving another one!

Thanks! I traded my 98 mustang GT for it. I didnt know anything about which model it was at the time, I just knew it spoke to me. Now, my "dream" caddy would be a 54 series 62 but this will do to start the collection! Today I ended up cussing at it and packing up my wrenches. Haha. I think some days go like that in the world of restoring.
    77CDV likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is a sweet design, I can easily see how it "spoke to you"!

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing more of your beauty!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I remember the 1950 series 61 because there were several of them running around Sao Paulo Brazil in the mid fifties. The rear door windows were very distinctive.

Thanks for posting the tape of your car, I also enjoyed the tape of the 1935 Packard V-12 that could be accessed from your tape. I still have a sweet spot for those old Packards.

Quote Originally Posted by fender1325 View Post
    Today I ended up cussing at it and packing up my wrenches. Haha. I think some days go like that in the world of restoring.
    Some days? That's SOP!
    talismandave likes this.

It still runs hot. My efforts so far only was to drain and flush out the rad/engine through the rad hoses, and remove the thermostat. When I drained the oil the other day there was water in it for the first second of draining, which led me to fear a head gasket leak. But, I should note that when I took off the carburetor to be rebuilt, the carb studs on the intake manifold wrecked off due to age. I had the intake off the car at a machine shop for a few weeks. I do think that rain gets in through the chrome trim on the the hood so I think it was possible what I saw in the oil was a little bit of rain water. The coolant, as many times as I've changed it shows rust in it. I think the channels in the engine must be gummed up with rust and junk. Water pump is new. Any ideas or thoughts?

You could have a lot of rust in the radiator/engine/heater core, esp if the car has been sitting or has been negelcted. I suspect you have a blockage somewhere in the system that isn't allowing the coolant to circulate freely.

I agree. What's the best way to tackle that?

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

When you changed your coolant, did you flush it? If you didn't, run water through the block and radiator for around 15 mins. Make sure to run water through your new pump and get the rust out and new hoses if you have them. If the rust is bad some run chemicals through.

When you heat up the motor, that might loosen up the manifold bolts to loosen them, while the motor is still hot. Beautiful car by the way!

Will do. Thanks!

Got another short video

77CDV and talismandave like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by fender1325 View Post
    I agree. What's the best way to tackle that?
    There are especial products in the market for cleaning the cooling system of the car. Mix it with the coolant/water in the radiator and run the car for 1/2 hour. Then flush all the water in the radiator and use a hose to clean the inside of the rad. pull out the engine hoses and introduce pressure water into the block until water comes out clean. Maybe you have to repeat the process if you observe dirt again in the circuit. Thatīs frequent if the car maintenance have been long time neglected, specially if the car has had only water in the cooling system.

You can also check temperature in the upper and the lower radiator panel at operating temperature and check if there is a significative difference. If so, there could be a blocking inside the radiator. You can borrow a laser thermometer for better precision.

Your 1950 looks and sounds great Good luck with it.
    77CDV likes this.

Thanks. I bought some standard prestone coolant system flush. My only concern is if it would react bad with a copper rad. It says on the bottle to leave in for a few days if its really rusty, which it is.

----------

Called prestone - they said its safe for copper radiators
    CADforce69 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.