1963 lighting/wiring question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1963 lighting/wiring question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm working through the lighting on my 63 caddy and I have a couple gremlins I'm trying to figure out. ...
    AlaskaCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1963 Coupe Deville

1963 lighting/wiring question

I'm working through the lighting on my 63 caddy and I have a couple gremlins I'm trying to figure out.

My passenger forward facing blinker does not work when I put the turn signal on, but the light does work when I put the driving lights on. The rear facing blinker on the hood and the bumper do work.

On the passenger side I cant hear the relay clicking even though I can see the tail blinker and the hood blinker working.

I'm leaning towards it being a bad switch in the steering column, but I wanted some input before I go ordering parts. Any other ideas on contacts I should be checking.

My other problem is my white tail lights and front facing, front facing white lights on the sides and the license plate illumination lights wont turn on under any circumstance and I'm not sure when they should be illuminated. I assumed these are all tide to the driving lights. Any thoughts on what needs to be checked. I'm still digging through my NOS manual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

big dog 1975 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Deville chopped, Current. 1994 Seville, Past

Re: 1963 lighting/wiring question

Hi AlaskaCaddy I have a 1975 deville. I had problems with my lights and realized the car needed to be running for everything except my body lights. I had been trying to hook up led lights to the 75 and in my newer car they come on if the car is on or not. In the 75, my car needs to be running for them to work. idk if this is your problem, i was able to buy a 75 service manual and it came with a colored wiring diagram, it helped a lot. Also, mine has fiber optic lights, maby yours does to???? and blinker clickers are cheap... did u try that?? It sounds like a bad bulb somewhere.

The ignition position has to be on for sure. The blinker has to be a junky relay I'm thinking, but I'm not sure where it's located.

The rear lights and cornering lights I'm hoping are just a bad ground somewhere but I haven't figured out where it is attached.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Car I had in hi-school had a bad signal light switch. If it was in the lane change position (pushed down but not locked in place) it would blink on the dash but not at the lights. It had to be pushed all the way down until the stalk locked in place before everything would work. It may be a switch issue.
    Just a thought.
    Jeff

Ok I figured out the turn signal issue. I had a wire broken before it tied into the little clip that gets power from both the headlight switch and the turn signal.

I'm still not clear when the cornering lights should be on. Could anyone enlighten me as to when the rear lower portion of my tail lights should be on and when the cornering lights should be on?

tudor_47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 4dht Sedan Deville

cornering light should be on when headlights are on AND you have the turn signal activated, they should have a steady light on the side that you are turning towards.

indicating a left turn should give a steady light in the left cornering light (if the headlights are on)

the info above are for my 65 caddy... should probably be the same for a 63

/Johnny

Thanks Tudor

This is what I was looking for. All of my white lights Tail lights, license plate lights and the cornering lights are all not working so I'm starting to lean towards maybe a issue with the headlight knob on the dash. I'm stuck up at work for two weeks I'll report in when I get home and play with it some more. If I can get these lights to work then I'll have everything electrical related working on the car.

tudor_47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 4dht Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCaddy View Post
    Thanks Tudor

This is what I was looking for. All of my white lights Tail lights, license plate lights and the cornering lights are all not working so I'm starting to lean towards maybe a issue with the headlight knob on the dash. I'm stuck up at work for two weeks I'll report in when I get home and play with it some more. If I can get these lights to work then I'll have everything electrical related working on the car.

Indeed if this is not working at all I would look closer at the light switch in the dash. There is (in the 65) a fuse for the tail light/stop lights in the fuse box. The front lights are protected by an in the light switch internal circuit breaker.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.