trunk closed and will not open
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tudor_47
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, trunk closed and will not open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I closed the trunk of my 65 Deville and now it is closed and it will not open ...
    tudor_47 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 4dht Sedan Deville

Question trunk closed and will not open

Hi all,

I closed the trunk of my 65 Deville and now it is closed and it will not open key goes all the way round as usual, nothing
    vacuum release do not open it..

how do I get it open without damaging the trunk lid and lock?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: trunk closed and will not open

Maybe?
    you take the back seat out
    get a long flat head screw driver and attach it to a long piece(about 3 ft) of thin wood/stick with a hose clamp.
    get a flashlight,and away you go.

going through the trunk was a not happening thing, way to small space. I could not even reach in to loosen the spare tire.
    long story short, I had almost given up when I tryed the vacuum once more and she opened up, like it was never stuck!?

I spent a good period of time putting oil in every moving part. when the trunk was open it never missed once, key or vacuum both operated as they should..

Should the lever coming from the trunk key be a straight piece or a curved one? The one in the car is curved. (lever going from key in trunk to lock in trunk lid)
    Attached a pic of hte lever...
    Attached Images
    bigm57ict and talismandave like this.

CaddyGas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I believe that is the lock rod the end of it should be bent/curved, but rod it self should be straight.

tooth99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1965 cadillac deville convertible

I have a 65 as well. One of the many things I need to get to is the vacuum. When I bought the car the trunk lock was broken. I replaced the lock, but it's still a bit of a pita at times. I need to SLAM it shut, so I know something is not lining up right.

wavedog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 69 deville convertible

Also having issues with my trunk lock. Convertible so easy to go in through the top well and pop from the inside. Can't figure out what is wrong. the lock cylinder only goes in one way and that bar circled in pic above has a joint in it and does make it into the slot on the lock (just barely). when I try to open with the key that bar just slides out of the slot and it doesn't open. Does open from the button in the glove box but motor is out of the car right now so not an option. would like to get fixed for key. Any ideas? Anyone have this happen before?

Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Also having issues with my trunk lock. Convertible so easy to go in through the top well and pop from the inside. Can't figure out what is wrong. the lock cylinder only goes in one way and that bar circled in pic above has a joint in it and does make it into the slot on the lock (just barely). when I try to open with the key that bar just slides out of the slot and it doesn't open. Does open from the button in the glove box but motor is out of the car right now so not an option. would like to get fixed for key. Any ideas? Anyone have this happen before?
    From your description it sounds as if the bar from the lock in trunk lid is too short, how about making a longer one?
    the bar in replacement locks are probably a generic GM thing and the one needed for or caddys might need to be a little bit longer?
    Another way would be to source a cadillac lock bar from a junk yard car, to see if that fixes your problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.