Oil additives - performance oils for older engines ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Oil additives - performance oils for older engines ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; U guys add anything to the oil in ur classics to make up for lack of zinc/phosphorus in newer oils. ...
    rksm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 66 coupe Deville

Oil additives - performance oils for older engines ?

U guys add anything to the oil in ur classics to make up for lack of zinc/phosphorus in newer oils. If yes can anyone recommend anything for a 429. Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Re: oil additives

I use zddp that I buy MTS in California.

Here it is on amazon, about the same cost as MTS.

http://www.amazon.com/ZDDPPlus-Engin...=zddp+additive

Here is another one:

http://www.cam-shield.com/

I have a '75 olds with a 455 and never knew they took the zinc out. I can't tell any loss in performance without it, though I am using it on my newly rebuilt 507.

sawyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 coupe deville
    I use rislone zddp and zinc plus regular stp in every flat tappet engine I own. You won't notice a problem with performance until you wipe a lobe on the cam that's what the additive is for. newer engines have roller cams and don't require as much lubricity.

Driver-8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Seville, 1999 Jeep GC Ltd

I run Royal Purple in my '79 met many 'old timers' at Cadillac shows, they ALL swear by it. I switched from Mobil 1 because its lacking what we need to protect our valvetrain. worth every penny and with my last 5qt jug on Amazon, I got a promo free $13 RP oil filter too

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/p...es/automotive/

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-5...s=royal+purple

Mark~

Thx guys....very helpful.
    Also lemme hijack my own thread.....
    Evans waterless coolant......I read lots of great things..their claims seem legit. Anyone out there got first hand experience with this product.....

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Jay Leno apparently uses waterless coolant in a lot of his cars, including the Dusenburgs. I don't see how the anti corrosive additives could last forever though. I'd just stick with changing traditional coolant every 2-3 years.

Re:drive 8

I see 5qt royal purple on amazon for 37 bucks....its on amazon.ca for almost $60.
    Im so jealous of the amazing deals u guys get in the us. Even with the exchange rate its a travesty( it was at par or better not too long ago)
    Not to mention readily avaliable parts with free shipping.
    Does anyone use one of those re shipping services to canada.....any feed bak is appreciated..

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Marvels in the fuel and oil.
    Jeff

Driver-8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Seville, 1999 Jeep GC Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by rksm View Post
    Re:drive 8

I see 5qt royal purple on amazon for 37 bucks....its on amazon.ca for almost $60.
    Im so jealous of the amazing deals u guys get in the us. Even with the exchange rate its a travesty( it was at par or better not too long ago)
    Not to mention readily avaliable parts with free shipping.
    Does anyone use one of those re shipping services to canada.....any feed bak is appreciated..
    It's true, I have been with Amazon since they started and now have about 120+ orders per year. Tons of stuff for my cars-parts, maintenance, detailing), family, household, pantry staples, etc. lower prices, fast shipping, can return anything-no charge and still (for now) no taxes even. We also get all our cell phones there now. Anyhow, that Royal Purple deal was really good, lower than anyone else and then, no tax & even the free filter. You guys really get hit hard $$ up there on everything.

Regarding the RP synthetic though, I am so glad I made the switch and will be a loyal user from now on.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I use this. 1/4 bottle with each fill brings modern oil to proper ZDDP levels.

Jaykeane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 73 LD Ragtop

I use Shell Rotella T, in 15W40, buy it by the gallon.. it still has sufficient zinc in it..
    Or, I'd suggest the lucas product mentioned above, 1/4-1/2 bottle per oil change..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Forget the Lucas crap and look into JoeGibbsRacing. They put out a line of conventional and synthetic multigrade oils blended specifically for older engines.

I use a lot of their stuff in marine Olds 455s.

Products, Street Performance oils ...................

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: Oil additives - performance oils for older engines ?

Despite the pains taken in developing special flat-tappet camshaft wear tests that these new oils must pass and the fact that the ZDP level of these new oils is comparable to the level found necessary to protect flat-tappet camshafts in the past, there will still be those who want to believe the myth that new oils will wear out older engines.

To much ZDP is bad for the engine, after a certain level it starts attacking the grain boundaries in the iron resulting in camshaft spalling.

Just another myth spread by the internet and the snake oil additive companies.

Putting junk additives into well balanced oils can cause problems.

Caddycruise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertable and hardtop

Re: Oil additives - performance oils for older engines ?

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Despite the pains taken in developing special flat-tappet camshaft wear tests that these new oils must pass and the fact that the ZDP level of these new oils is comparable to the level found necessary to protect flat-tappet camshafts in the past, there will still be those who want to believe the myth that new oils will wear out older engines.

To much ZDP is bad for the engine, after a certain level it starts attacking the grain boundaries in the iron resulting in camshaft spalling.

Just another myth spread by the internet and the snake oil additive companies.

Putting junk additives into well balanced oils can cause problems.

I agree completely. Done research on this and got feedback from the racing community. Some of these additives including adding zinc to the oil will upset the balance of the wear protection the motor oil was designed for. The only two additives that will do any good is a product called Oil Extreme Concentrate. This one helps a lot sometimes, sometimes not. The other one is Prolong. Those are the only two that is known to work. This comes from racers testing these products and many others in the field.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.