75 deville transmission linkage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By big dog 1975
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 75 deville transmission linkage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone. I am trying to work on the transmission linkage on my new old cadillac. I was able to ...
    big dog 1975 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Deville chopped, Current. 1994 Seville, Past

75 deville transmission linkage

Hi everyone. I am trying to work on the transmission linkage on my new old cadillac. I was able to drive it home, but the gear selector wasnt lining up. The next day the car wouldnt go into gear at all. I have been trying to adjust it by loosening the bolt that goes to the steering column clicking it 2 forward and re tightening. I seem to have reverse right now, but it is hard to tell because my driveway has a slope and I dont want to have to push my car uphill if didnt do it right.
    My question is, when I click thru the transmission with it detached I only seem to be able to click thru 4 places. Should it be 5?? I like to work on my own cars but Ive never done much with transmissions. The car is a 1975 coupe de ville. The engine is the 500 caddy and I think that it is a Th400 transmission. Any help or advice would be great!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 75 deville transmission linkage

Wow, I saw that on Auto Tempest one night when I was browsing.

Good luck with the trans.

Thanks!! I think that the guy I bought it from posted it there. Its got air ride and I think its been shaking things loose as it drives. Im going to give it one more weekend of me working on it then I think its time to go to a tranny shop.

Caddycruise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertable and hardtop

First time I've seen one with a chopped roof like that. Lots of work to do it. You definitely have something unique. Other than adjustment of the linkage I'm not sure what it could be. Seems to me you should have 5 positions. P,R,N,D,2,3.

Yeah I was expecting to feel 5 clicks on the transmission. I wasnt sure if the linkage was bent or something since the car sits so low so i took it off, but it seems to be in good shape. The bushing was replaced with a 3/8th hose so maby it was wobbling a bit. I will have to check to see if i can find the 5th position.

I was able to get someone to check the linkage for me. We got it set right, but still no drive. I can get reverse, but thats it. Sounds like its time for a rebuild.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That...or turn the seats around?

Sorry to hear, aren't project cars fun!

Oh yeah they are!! i got a ton of disconnected wires in the dash..... Ill be starting more posts, or spending a lot of time browsing. Turns out my problem was low tranny fluid, which was hard to tell cause I was on a slope. Its a little over full right now, but she drives!!!! I still think I will need a rebuild on the tranny tho. Its probly a good idea.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.