No Fuel to one cylinder - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, No Fuel to one cylinder in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That's the info we wanted to hear!! Yep, switch plug wires. If that doesn't work then check for corrosion in ...
    Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Re: No Fuel to one cylinder

That's the info we wanted to hear!!
    Yep, switch plug wires. If that doesn't work then check for corrosion in the cap on that terminal post..... both inside and outside the cap.
    What color is the spark? If it is yellowish and the others are blueish when you do the same test then that is another indication that there is not a strong spark going thru the wire.
    Jeff
    carnut likes this.

The Mole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 coupe deville

Already changed the rotor, cap. Did not check the weights. I just called my buddy who is working on this with me, neither one of us thought
    about changing the plug wire..... It sparked, but I do believe it was a yellowish color and not bright white/ blue. That will be the first thing I try
    in the morning.
    I do believe I moved the weights while I had the distributer out. I will check again. First the obvious. Man, I can not believe neither one of
    changed the wire....I hope that is it. Cheaper than a carb..... I will let you all know tomorrow.
    Thank you all again for the help. It is much appreciated.
    The Mole.

aussiejohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964

Mole,

I had a similar problem with my '74 Vette that I purchased from California four years ago, only it was all eight cylinders. I had a spark, but it was weak and the engine would not run. I had a friend over and we checked the resistance of the leads and they were all very high. I put new plugs in it, still wouldn't start, then new plug leads and VROOOOOOMMMM!!! I checked the resistance of the new plug leads and they were down where they should be. So, NUMBER ONE!!! Check the resistance of your leads and replace if necessary. Let's face it, if you have petrol, a good coil and new spark plugs, the only thing left is the leads.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
    carnut likes this.

Well an update.

Changed wires, no luck. checked the weights and springs. all good movement and snapping back. Did compression test again. 165. Checked
    spark again. still there. I am officially stumped. I am about to pull the engine and take of the head and see what is up. I smelled the new plug
    and I smelled gas this time but not strong at all.
    When I changed the plug wires there was absolutely no change.
    Still where I was three days ago....

Thanks The Mole.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

This one has me stumped too.
    I read a post once. Here or on another site, can't remember. Anyway, they determined that there was a bad cam lobe on the distributor. It was slightly corroded and did not open the points enough. Just on a few cylinders.
    Before you pull the engine, check the cam lobes on the distributor. Check them the old fashioned way, with a feeler gauge on all 8 lobes. See if one opens the points less than the others.
    If that doesn't work, rotate the engine so that the exhaust valve on the bad cylinder is open then blow shop air in the plug hole. Make sure there is no restriction in the exhaust.
    Jeff

Will do. Thanks.

Well, after all the exterior trouble shooting, I pulled the engine. Upon inspection I discovered the lobe on the cam was bad... The intake lobe
    was shot out. It would move the rocker but not for a sufficient amount of time(no duration). I had to order the cam and lifters should be in
    Monday. I could have saved some time and frustration had I checked this when I had the intake off but was looking for the easy fix. My
    mistake. I really appreciate all the help and I hope the next reply will be I am driving my car and it runs like new.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks The Mole.
    talismandave likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Flat cam? Maybe the cam journal bearing spun in the block shutting off oil? I'm sure you'll check that.

Here is an update.
    The cam is in the engine is buttoned up. It runs great! So now I have electronic ignition, new cam, timing chain, lifters, seven studs from the exhaust manifolds drilled, tapped and replaced, new freeze plugs. Not one leak and I am very happy with the way it sounds.

Thank you all for the help with the suggestions.

Nothing like buying a car that you think only has a exhaust leak and end up with all this mess.... LOL

Thanks again everyone!

The Mole.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.