76 Eldo conv. Climate Control/electrical problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtravinski
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 76 Eldo conv. Climate Control/electrical problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Recently when I switch on the climate control on my 76 Eldorado conv. the generator light displays on the dash. ...
    mtravinski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado Convertible / 2002 Eldorado ETC

76 Eldo conv. Climate Control/electrical problem

Recently when I switch on the climate control on my 76 Eldorado conv. the generator light displays on the dash. If I push the selector to just past "ecomomy" the light will go out. When I push the selector to "lo" the light displays dimly. Pushing the selector to "auto" makes it glow bright again. It also keeps blowing the 15 amp fuse in the fuse panel.
    I also have one vacumn connection under the dash that is hanging and I cannot find the connection location for it. Judging byit's present position I believe it plugs into what I think is the programmer under the dash.
    It is an 1/8" I.D. connection consisting of one hose, black with a red stripe and one hole that appears to be for a lug or a studto keep it in place.
    Any and all help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx,
    Mickey T.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 76 Eldo conv. Climate Control/electrical problem

Found the connection for the vacuum line! It was actually the line for the brake release on the cruise control. There is a plastic fitting with a dual
    1/8" connection near the base of the steering column as it goes through the floor. Very easy to miss unless you're looking really hard for it.

Rockhead261 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertible

Did that take care of the fuse blowing/gen light issue?

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
    Did that take care of the fuse blowing/gen light issue?
    My guess is no, but I could be wrong.

I can't assist on the blowing fuse issue and your problem, but I can steer you to someone who can assist:

http://cadillactim.com/page1.html

I have a '70 and bought one of his manuals and it is very helpful. Tells how to repair and troubleshoot. I also understand he is very helpful over the phone. If you can't get assistance here, give him a call!

Best of luck to you with the a/c issue!

chris.

No - unfortunately it did not resolve the electrical issue. And as far as Cadillac Tim goes you are absolutely correct in saying that he is helpful over the phone. I have spoken to him several times before I started this thread but still have not yet solved the issue, but thanks for the attention and
    the reference.

Caddycruise is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertable and hardtop

Possible blower motor? My AC is not working and I just got information on mine that the blower motor can load things down and cause issues like this.

Success! Found it. It was a loose connection in the wires that go to the AC compressor. The brass clip around the green wire was loose from inside
    the connector causing it to short out against the compressor bracket thus blowing the fuse everytime power was applied to it.
    Thanx everyone for the help.
    Rockhead261 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.