1968 brake issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1968 brake issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 68 deville has drum brakes and it's acting weird when I first begin to slow down. Most of the ...
    sams2100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Conv, 1999 DeVille, 2003 Escalade

1968 brake issue

My 68 deville has drum brakes and it's acting weird when I first begin to slow down. Most of the time when you first begin to slow down, the car will jerk left (assuming the left front wheel is breaking before the right), and sometimes it will give a slight jerk to the right. Rarely it will jerk back and forth a time or two while beginning to slow down.

After that initial swing to the left or right, it slows down as normal. Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Sounds to me like something within the drums or drums themselves. I would think a hydraulic issue would be more consistent. I've had some drums do some funny things. Sometimes it's just a disassemble and cleaning that takes care of it.

If it were me. I'd start from scratch to isolate any issues. Bleed lines to eliminate that possibility. Visually inspect both sides for any broken springs, hold downs etc. I'd switch sides on the drums too and take it for a spin to see how it reacts. If the drums are slightly out of round it will do some grabbing and other funky things. Then go in for the full brake job.

When's the last time you replaced shoes and hardware or had drums spun?

sams2100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Conv, 1999 DeVille, 2003 Escalade

Re: 1968 brake issue

I haven't had anything done to the brakes at all. Have owned the car since late last year and didn't drive too much this winter. How irritating are the drum brakes on these cars? Last drum brakes I worked on was an 85 toyota pickup and I swore after dealing with those brakes I would never do them again.

cadzombie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    I had this problem when I got my sedan deville. It turned out the old brake hose had nearly swollen shut. If you go through all the things smelvis said. I only caugh this because it was nearly impossible to bleed one side.

sawyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 coupe deville
    See if the shoes are chamfered on the ends of the pad itself if they are not that can cause grabbing. Oem shoes are but often aftermarket aren't.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

What comes to my mind is you could've switched the brake pads. The pads set in one drum are a slightly longer one and a slightly shorter one. But they have a symmetrical shape, so it is easy to have both short ones on your right side and the long ones on your left side without really noticing it when installing, hence the pulling to left when you brake.
    I drove around like this (only in the rear though) for a while and I never noticed, until it surfaced doing a brake test (on the brake test bench for yearly inspection) and I took apart the brakes. I had those brakes replaced by a workshop that time, because I was away and needed it done for an event.

superjeep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 sedan deville,69 sedan deville,64 fleetwod 60 special

i had such bad luck with my drums. switched to front discs and it was the best thing I've done to the car so far

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I think opgi has the brake conversion set?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.