For those who appreciate the 79 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, For those who appreciate the 79 Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everybody. Been a minute since I have been on the forum. I bought a '79 Seville as a gift ...
    Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

For those who appreciate the 79 Seville

Hi everybody. Been a minute since I have been on the forum. I bought a '79 Seville as a gift for my mother and held it a secret for about a year while I "niced it up" It was real nice with only 75,000 miles on it, originally purchased in VT but spent most of it's life garaged in FL at the vacation home of the previous owner. It has the fuel injected Olds 350 It also came with the factory moon roof and cloth seats which are both rare options and even more rare having them together. Well, at least I haven't seen many. All the bells and whistles were in working order when I got it too. The body was rust free and straight with a wicked color combination, which happened to be my momz favorite color. Actually I'm mistaken The power seats did not operate correctly. The underseat transmission housing was cracked on both front seats due to excessive heat exposure, and a poor design choice to use plastic in the first place. The seat motors worked however. So I had the transmissions replaced and both seats are fully functional! I also had to have the center link replaced which relates to the steering and suspension, but other than that, the engine transmission, suspension, brakes, fuel system, cooling system were all checked and in good shape. The car was very well maintained by the previous two owners. I am the third. Anyway, I wanted to bring her sound system up to twenty-first century technology. However as many of you, I did not want to cut the dash or have some modern looking head unit that didn't really match the car's vintage. I replaced the factory 8trk with one of those iPod control/USB/CD changer control head units that are shaped/sized just like the factory radio. I took out the cardboard coned 4x10 speakers in the back and the 4x6 in the front dash and replaced them with JBL touring series speakers all around. But I put 6x9's in place of the 4x10's and threw an Alpine amp on them. Sade's "Cherish the Day" never sounded more rich. It's like an Soul/R&B concert hall in there now, yet virtually silent outside. More pics later in the thread. Fortunately for us Cadillac owners here, we have a Cadillac Restoration Garage in Boston, right in the (ghetto) heart of the city. There I had the ox sensor changed, the fuel rail cleaned and resealed, both rear calipers replaced and a bevy of other small details that just made a nice car, even nicer... like having the side marker lamp lenses buffed. Big shout out to my man Richard M Ryan. If you are in the New England area and have a mid 90's to early 60's in need of service, check him out. If your car is pre 60's you can see John Gately himself, who owns the garage (and one or two Caddies). Is that violation of forum policy? I have some more details to update you all on, but I'll fill you in a little bit later, more pictures of the work I had done and the big ship from Boston to Georgia where the car and it's current (and rightful) owner reside. More soon....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: For those who appreciate the 79 Seville

I saw you liked a post recently, and was going to send you a shout and see how things, and especially, this project were! I of course didn't do it right away, and never got back to it.

Can't wait for installment 2.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I still remember my 1976 Seville as one of my all time favorite cars. I bought it new in 1976 and used it a few years as my business car and then kept it as my personal car until 1984. As I had the car in Los Angeles and it was garaged both during the day and at night the Seville remained in beautiful condition during its' life with me.

As I have said at other times here on the Forums, The 1976 Seville was the first American car that I owned that did wear quickly becoming a worn rattle trap after only two or three year's ownership (I had also owned other Cadillacs before I owned the Seville). With the introduction of the 1977 downsized Cadillac models quality of materials and build quality really improved.

I will be looking forward to hearing more about your Seville in the coming months.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Congrats, looks great. You can polish up those turning light lenses with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I took the ones on my mother's 84 from yellow to clear. Also, make sure that your mother uses the parking brake EVERY time she parks the car. The rear calipers are designed that way, you must use the park brake to properly adjust the calipers!

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Fantastic car! Great story! Nice to see you back here!
    Classic L likes this.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Great car. Good for you and your mom. I got my mom a gift certifcate to Kohls. I guess you win the good son award.
    Jeff
    By the way, I wasn't exactly clear on what you did with the radio. I am looking at radio options myself.

Thanks Bro-Ham and everyone.

Jay you're right about those brakes, or at least that's also what I was told by the mechanic who put on the new calipers. He also changed the right brake cable and adjusted the e brake tension. Put on ceramic pads too.

Orconn . I leaned toward the 79 because I thought such might be the case (with the advancements and tweaking and such), though I really didn't know. I'm glad I got the 79, and I like the 79 grill best.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
    Great car. Good for you and your mom. I got my mom a gift certifcate to Kohls. I guess you win the good son award.
    Jeff
    By the way, I wasn't exactly clear on what you did with the radio. I am looking at radio options myself.
    ...Thanks. What I did with the radio was replace the factory radio with an after market radio shaped like the factory radio, but with new technology. I'll put some more about it up with some pics. btw, I still got last place

Okay, so here's some stuff I had done to the car to "P-ersonally IMP-rint" it. I had a pinstripe hand painted, with monogram initials above the door handles on both front doors. Driver's door with outside temp I'm proud to say this is after a good clean Notice the cornering lamp lens, after being buffed. I put an after market alarm on Mainly I wanted remote door lock/unlock, panic button and a way to distinguish whose alarm's going off? No remote start! But I did get a nice two way alarm and some air horns, oh and remote trunk release I had a clear bead of calk run three-quarters of the way around, where the roof padding meets the glass. It was a suggestion by an auto upholsterer to prevent water from seeping in between there and rotting that area between the glass and the trunk lid. If you look close towards the top of the glass you can see the calk, and in the bottom right corner. I think that was a good idea and plan to do it on other padded roofs. I'll put up some more stuff soon, of the "PIMP" touches. Let's hope for some warm weather. Peace
    talismandave likes this.

My only complaint with the '78 and '79 Sevilles was that the front seat bottom bolster had been shortened which, for me made the seats less comfortable (probably would be noticed unless you were familiar with both years). I think the Cadillac guys shortened the bolsters in the later cars to make the interior look bigger than on the previous cars.

But with the later models you got disc brakes all the way around which was a nice improvement.

Back in the seventies and eighties these first generation Sevilles really kept their value compared to other cars of the day. I paid $11,850. for my 1976 as a close out at the end of 1976 (car was among the last of the '76's to be built in August of that year). I sold the car for $8500. in 1984 .... of course it was in very nice condition and had less the 60,000 miles on it.

casual dreamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1964 cadillac series 62 2 door hardtop

I think it is very nice that you bought your mom a nice Cadillac. I bought my mom a 68 coupe deville, but it needs alot of work, but she loves it!
    Classic L likes this.

Okay, more on how I P-ersonally IMP-rint-ED this Seville. I know this is where I may lose a few of you guys and gals, because I understand individual tastes vary and many enthusiasts thrive on a car being totally stock and factory or think nothing could be improved on how it came off the line. Caddy makes great looking cars with spectacular features, colors and trims. And a lot of stuff I see people do to their cars, looks tacky to me. I strive to make enhancements that are complimentary to the factory design. But who knows, my ideas may seem tacky to others. To me the green body with the white top is accented nicely by the white walled tires. But everything else is just green, no accent colors. I figured a white pinstripe would break up the solid green and highlight the top. Also, I added a white steering wheel cover to tie the interior in with the green and white combo I have going on outside, since the whole interior is solid green too.. The white steering wheel draws you into the car interior, whereas when it was green(pictured below), your visual attention kinda stopped at the shell of the car. However... I took it further. Where I'm from we wrap the steering wheel with those lace up steering wheel covers, but we use multiple ones (not saying how many) to give a nice firm yet squishy grip. You might not understand but on a distance trip, when your shoulders and hands get fatigued, it's like one of those stress relief squeeze balls. Plus it gives you a nice fat grip.. and nah, this steering wheel was not already wrapped in leather. As you might be able to tell in the previous picture (and the next two), I had all the interior light bulbs changed, which is heartbreaking to me when I see other's Caddies with door or under the dash lights not working. And above you can get a glimpse of the after market head unit I had installed in place of the factory radio. It looks analog, but lights up to a digital read out and the buttons control a CD changer/player, a USB device, and an iPod. The iPod menu even appears on the radio screen. I did not opt for the CD changer, but I do have an iPod connected. It sits right behind the ashtray door to the right of the radio, and closes up for a nice concealed look. Totally controlled by the head unit. I also took out the 1979 technology speakers with thin cardboard cones and replaced the rear shelf 4X10's with JBL grand touring series 6X9's. I also replaced the 3.5" front dash speakers with JBL grand touring 3.5" speakers. I had an Alpine amp mounted in the trunk, and the system sounds great for Soul, R&B, Funk, Jazz. It's really not a Hip Hop system or Reggae with heavy bass. For a finishing touch I added the Cadillac vanity plate on the front with "classic" style emblem in chrome on chrome, surrounded by the chain license plate frame. The emblem might look gold in the picture, but it's chrome. Might be the reflection of my pants distorting the color. . That's pretty much the personal touches I added. And after I got everything together on the car, I wanted to put a dynamite clean down, vac the cloth seats, rugs, mats, roof liner, door treatments and trunk, fine-tooth brush the wheel covers, polish the chrome hand wash the body and wax it (by hand). All in prep for delivery. I've got some more pictures of that, right before I sent it off, the finished vision, that I will upload soon. Check back.. On a side note, my cousin (who you may hear me refer to often, and who is a big Caddy head too) was so enthralled by all my Caddy talk and activity during this process, that he couldn't help but be inspired and search out another one for himself. .. "Can I store it at your house?" he asked. "Of course" I said. I love the look of Caddies in my driveway So at that point I had two nice Caddies in my driveway but neither one of them mine. But shoot, there looks like room for at least two more in there, right? There's more to this story... Thanks all. Happy motoring and keep them Caddies running smooth. Peace
    Corey468 and 2manyhotrods like this.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Beautiful looking Seville. One of my all time favorites.

Driver-8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Seville, 1999 Jeep GC Ltd

Really enjoyed reading, and looking thru the post. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I appreciate AND own one So nice to see another saved and being driven today, all these years later. There weren't many back then ('75-'79 production @220K), and sure aren't many 1st Gen's left around today. What a unique gift you put together for your Mother.
    talismandave likes this.

Back in the 1970's the first generation Sevilles, along with Mercedes 450SEs and 450SLs and Jaguar XJ6's and XJS's were what we called "Wilshire Taxis" There were all over the place in Southern California. In the eighties you still saw a lot of them out in the suburbs. On through the eighties they were by no means rare and were kept for a lot longer time because so many really didn't like what was on offer new in the eighties.

Driver-8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Seville, 1999 Jeep GC Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Back in the 1970's the first generation Sevilles, along with Mercedes 450SEs and 450SLs and Jaguar XJ6's and XJS's were what we called "Wilshire Taxis" There were all over the place in Southern California. In the eighties you still saw a lot of them out in the suburbs. On through the eighties they were by no means rare and were kept for a lot longer time because so many really didn't like what was on offer new in the eighties.
    No doubt, all of what you say was true out there in CA. It was a cool time for certain cars, and I've always like the ones you mentioned. On several levels... I really miss the '80's. One of which was all the great 'brougham-era' cars running around.

I bet you got to occasionally see Betty White driving around in her '77 Seville (Parakeet). She drove that car for 25 years.

Many gen 1s have sadly, long since burned up in needless fires from maintenance neglect related to the high pressure fuel system. A few bucks in injector & fuel-rail O-rings/seals and a couple of hours would have saved many of them.

I have a few pictures of mine linked inside my profile. I plan to have a bunch more this summer on dropbox.

Mark~

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.