Custom head unit install in my 68
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By FoxRodder
  • 2 Post By FoxRodder
  • 1 Post By 70eldo
  • 2 Post By FoxRodder
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Custom head unit install in my 68 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I posted this on the modified forums but wanted to share here too because we have talked about it in ...
    FoxRodder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Coupe Deville, 87 Mustang, 00 Mustang

Custom head unit install in my 68

I posted this on the modified forums but wanted to share here too because we have talked about it in the past here.

I wanted to keep my factory radio(Which still works btw) and have a modern radio hidden. My 68 has a large slide out ash tray drawer that contains the cigarette lighter socket and two ash trays. I took it apart and gutted the drawer out. I had to cut the top cross pieces of it to clear the head unit, so I had to weld a bunch of reinforcements with extra steel to make it rigid with just the single lower support. Took some trial and error, and I'm pretty much done with the drawer and finished wiring the power for the head unit. Now I have to run new speaker wires front and back and get new speakers.

Got one of these newfangled digital media head units without the cd player. The great thing about them is that they are significantly shorter front to back because they don't need room for the cd stuff. I plan to mainly use a tiny 8 gig thumb drive in the usb port. This JVC was the first one I found like it that was so small several months back. Now several brands have done the same thing. In the end, the length wasn't an issue in this location but I figured that mounted under the dash or in glove box, it would have been a good bonus. The other nice thing is that it only costs like 70 bucks, and has usb, aux input, 22 watt rms X4, and wireless remote. Has ipod/iphone capabilities but I don't have any of that stuff so it helps me not

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Custom head unit install in my 68

Good stuff. I need to do something like this in my 71 Pontiac. I have a 90s era shaft cassette in it, with a CD changer. Time to update to something bluetooth!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Itīs a good solution. That JVC seems very compact and you donīt need CD player as you can copy your CD music to your memory card or USB pendrive in mp3 format. You can always buy an original ashtray if you want to reverse all to original. Thank you for sharing it.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Very creative!

I have to give credit to my buddy who sold me the car. He gave me the idea when he sold it to me. I also came across a car on ebay that had utilized the same location, but instead hinged the drawer skin and used kitchen cabinet magnet retainers to hold it closed. I thought it would be best if I could retain the drawer sliding mechanism. It makes access a bit tight, but more cool to me.

Picked up a roll of speaker wire, and ordered some Polk 6X9s from crutchfield for 75 bucks which is supposed to be half the original price. They must be clearing them out for the new model. Gotta run wire to the back and front. Still need to decide what to do for the front speakers. I know 4" speakers are a very poor compromise but I really don't want to do any cutting on the kick panels or doors. Anything will be a huge improvement though.
    CADforce69 and talismandave like this.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I installed RetroSound that fits right in the original openings of the original radio and looks classic. Features bluetooth, USB, iPod, 4x25W, Sub-woofer connection, etc.

Building something in the ashtray was my first option too, until I found this one.
    CADforce69 likes this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

I installed something similar: USA 630 Concours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USA-630-...00492f&vxp=mtr It looks more similar to original, specially when itīs off, with new spikers installed in original housing. Sounds great.

I checked out those retro deals as well and they appear to be a good option. I think what swayed me was the difference in price. Ive got no use for an ashtray past holding change so I figure its a good compromise. Initially I didnt think the ash tray idea was going to be possible, so Im pleased it worked out.
    70eldo and CADforce69 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.