electrical help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, electrical help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; my 69 sdv has no directionals. when i put them on the fender spotlight comes on but nothing else and ...
    superjeep is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 68 sedan deville,69 sedan deville,64 fleetwod 60 special

electrical help

my 69 sdv has no directionals. when i put them on the fender spotlight comes on but nothing else and no blinks. also my high beam indicator is on in the dash and won't turn off. if i click it nothing happens. any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: electrical help

Two separate issues, I believe. First, confirm all your bulbs work. If you put your left signal on, does the turn signal light illuminate in the front, and the taillight get bright (but not flash)? If yes, suspect a failed flasher relay. Cheap and easy.

Second, when your high beam indicator is on, are the high beam headlights actually on? When you click the dimmer, and the indicator stays on, do the high beams stay on? If yes, suspect dimmer switch. Two screws, and a connector. Easy to change.

when putting on the blinkers the tail lights or front lights do not light up. i also don't get and dash indicator lit up either.

the high beams are stuck on but i think i have a burned out bulb because only one inside light is on. when i click it nothing changes. red dash light stays on and it doesn't switch to low beam lights.

Jaykeane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 73 LD Ragtop

Obvious stuff first
    bulb(s)
    then switch(es) (jump them out to determine if they're faulty)
    then..
    grounds..
    in my experience, if its weird, it's usually a ground..

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The high beam issue is the dimmer switch on the floor. Change that and get back to us.

Ok thank you jay!! Will do....hopefully i can get it running right too

Jeff R is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Do the hazard lights work? If so then trade the flashers and see what happens. Actually, before you even do that make sure the signal flasher is still plugged in. The signal switch works because that is what turns the cornering lights on. However, when you have the lower panel off, take a look at the big connector that comes out of the steering column. In my70 it is on the bottom of the column and about 2-3 inches long with several wires going to it. Make sure nothing has come loose. If no luck there check to see if you have power going to the flasher and then start tracing from there. If both sides are dead then it has to be a fault that is common to both so that should narrow it down. Do the backup lights work? Same fuse.
    Jeff

Just checked hazzards work. Plugs are connected. Ill swap flashers. Thank you

ok looked into it, turns out some asshat cut the flasher harness out....no idea why,but i have a few harnesses and snagged one off a junk harness stuck a flasher in and all is good

the headlights wasn't a dimmer switch it was the main relay for the auto headlights. i unplugged the relay and plugged that connector into the dimmer switch to bypass the auto lights and all is working well with those. i don't care about auto lights that much so ill grab a relay some other time if i find a cheap one.

thanks for the help guys

Jeff R is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Sure makes you wonder what goes thru some people's minds.
    Glad you got it figured out.
    Jeff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.