My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hang in there Ben! "Haters gonna hate...." Stick with us, you'll find nothing but love and understanding here!...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Hang in there Ben!
    "Haters gonna hate...."
    Stick with us, you'll find nothing but love and understanding here!
    77CDV likes this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

With these cars things often go slower than expected and -as 77CDV has wisely pointed out- costs go way higher. Meanwhile, you can do other things like radiator, interior and aesthetic repairs, so this will encourage you until engine finally comes and you can have the caddy running. In the end, when the car is running and recovering her original look you feel the time, effort and money is worth it. This '56 caddy is a very special year/model so I think you will be proud to save this unit from decay and possibly from scrap, as you will know how many parts, screws, nuts, seals, wires, metal sheet yards and hours of work have been necessary to get her to her final restored condition.

Keep up the good work
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Very true, not every decision is a dollar and cents one. Thank God that others before us felt the same way as we do, or think of all the history that the world would have lost over the years. Not only automotive, but over all of culture.
    I know that decades from now, many of our cars will be gone, that is unfortunately the nature of life. There will however be a few left and preserved for others to enjoy as we enjoy the antique autos of our great, great, grandfathers. We are merely the caretakers of them for now, and hopefully when we are no longer able, there will be others to take our place.
    At the very least, we will go to our peace, knowing we have done our part to insure that some of them will excite the imaginations of future generations.
    77CDV and CADforce69 like this.

chstitans42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville

I pulled the drums off the car to check the brakes and see what I was going to have to work with, and the only thing that bothered me is this driver's side spindle. These marks catch my fingernail when moved across them. Should I replace it? or do you think I can get by using this spindle?

sawyer is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 coupe deville
    Is there a lot of slop between the inner race of the bearing and the spindle?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Looks scored to me. I'd replace.

Jaykeane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 73 LD Ragtop

I'd first entertain the idea that they can be saved.. I few minutes spent with a few pieces of emery cloth could be just a waste of time.. or, it could save a hard to find spindle.

CADforce69 likes this.

I have been anxious to get home to see the latest update. I got a Youtube alert you posted a new video while I was at work.

Your restoration thread should be required reading (Viewing?) for our inexperienced new members with old Cadillac's. You are doing a thoughtful and thorough going over of the tedious little things that should be covered. You are making it seem easy and less threatening to do these things. Great job.

(Great production value on the videos too!)

I figured that spindle would need replacement. And damn! That right front drum was scored bad! You'll probably have to replace it, as I doubt there's enough meat there to machine it smooth and still keep it within tolerances.

Keep up the good work!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    I figured that spindle would need replacement.

Keep up the good work!
    +1... Itīs a good thing taking the opportunity to do the brake system. New brake hoses and cylinders wouldnīt do any harm. You can check master cylinder for leaks. Glad to see progress on your project and looking forward to see engine back in the car

CADforce69 likes this.

Those are the perfect touch for the car!
    Glad to hear from you!

They look great! Just a word of advice: keep them at about 32 psi. Any higher and the ride will suffer.

Since I had sourced out already all the brake parts, I decided to get the brake MC and booster done by a guy local to me named Jose Gomez, a member of the Mid-Century Cadillac Forum, and fellow dfw 1956 Cadillac owner. Here is his peliminary report. Pics to come.

Good news, so-so news and bad news…!

The good news, the unit arrived intact. The rubber gasket for the air cleaner is cracked at both side center, this is about normal for all the units I worked on. The air filter would be clean and the same one put back.The inside of the M/C was in good shape picture, although you know the cap is the wrong one. Just a pointer..!

The so-so news;

The booster front power piston plate look in good shape the air hose is also in good shape. Now the power piston lather band is in real bad shape, not sure if it could be salvageable, gunk on the back face of the band and at the rear of the power piston.
    The inside of the booster looked ok, just a bit dirty and small area with corrosion, it could be cleaned and rust honed.

The bad news (??? It could changed once I open the M/C)

The M/C is in bad shape the rear nut has some rust (ignored the rag had to cover the hole due to brake fluid leaking). You can also see it on the back of the booster were the M/C bolts on with the rust.

These are so far the preliminary steps I’ve done on the disassembly.

One note the brake fluid inside the M/C was real bad, black and with gunk. With that in mind there is a possibility the inside of the M/C may have more corrosion. I hope that none of the items on the attached drawing 28, 29, 30, 31, 33 are in fair shape to be clean and de-rust.

I’ll be disassembling the M/C tomorrow and see the condition of these pieces, more to follow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.