Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

25K views 140 replies 17 participants last post by  harascho 
#1 ·
Check out my new project!!

#32 ·
With these cars things often go slower than expected and -as 77CDV has wisely pointed out- costs go way higher. Meanwhile, you can do other things like radiator, interior and aesthetic repairs, so this will encourage you until engine finally comes and you can have the caddy running. In the end, when the car is running and recovering her original look you feel the time, effort and money is worth it. This '56 caddy is a very special year/model so I think you will be proud to save this unit from decay and possibly from scrap, as you will know how many parts, screws, nuts, seals, wires, metal sheet yards and hours of work have been necessary to get her to her final restored condition.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

#33 ·
Very true, not every decision is a dollar and cents one. Thank God that others before us felt the same way as we do, or think of all the history that the world would have lost over the years. Not only automotive, but over all of culture.
I know that decades from now, many of our cars will be gone, that is unfortunately the nature of life. There will however be a few left and preserved for others to enjoy as we enjoy the antique autos of our great, great, grandfathers. We are merely the caretakers of them for now, and hopefully when we are no longer able, there will be others to take our place.
At the very least, we will go to our peace, knowing we have done our part to insure that some of them will excite the imaginations of future generations.

#34 ·
I pulled the drums off the car to check the brakes and see what I was going to have to work with, and the only thing that bothered me is this driver's side spindle. These marks catch my fingernail when moved across them. Should I replace it? or do you think I can get by using this spindle?

#39 ·
I have been anxious to get home to see the latest update. I got a Youtube alert you posted a new video while I was at work.:bouncy:

Your restoration thread should be required reading (Viewing?) for our inexperienced new members with old Cadillac's. You are doing a thoughtful and thorough going over of the tedious little things that should be covered. You are making it seem easy and less threatening to do these things. Great job.:highfive:

(Great production value on the videos too!):thumbsup:

#40 ·
I figured that spindle would need replacement. And damn! That right front drum was scored bad! You'll probably have to replace it, as I doubt there's enough meat there to machine it smooth and still keep it within tolerances.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

#45 ·
Since I had sourced out already all the brake parts, I decided to get the brake MC and booster done by a guy local to me named Jose Gomez, a member of the Mid-Century Cadillac Forum, and fellow dfw 1956 Cadillac owner. Here is his peliminary report. Pics to come.

Good news, so-so news and bad news…!

The good news, the unit arrived intact. The rubber gasket for the air cleaner is cracked at both side center, this is about normal for all the units I worked on. The air filter would be clean and the same one put back.The inside of the M/C was in good shape picture, although you know the cap is the wrong one. Just a pointer..!

The so-so news;

The booster front power piston plate look in good shape the air hose is also in good shape. Now the power piston lather band is in real bad shape, not sure if it could be salvageable, gunk on the back face of the band and at the rear of the power piston.
The inside of the booster looked ok, just a bit dirty and small area with corrosion, it could be cleaned and rust honed.

The bad news (??? It could changed once I open the M/C)

The M/C is in bad shape the rear nut has some rust (ignored the rag had to cover the hole due to brake fluid leaking). You can also see it on the back of the booster were the M/C bolts on with the rust.

These are so far the preliminary steps I’ve done on the disassembly.

One note the brake fluid inside the M/C was real bad, black and with gunk. With that in mind there is a possibility the inside of the M/C may have more corrosion. I hope that none of the items on the attached drawing 28, 29, 30, 31, 33 are in fair shape to be clean and de-rust.

I’ll be disassembling the M/C tomorrow and see the condition of these pieces, more to follow.

#47 ·
Another update from Jose!

Took the M/C apart today and although it had a lot of corrosion and gunk inside I was able to clean and bead blaster it with good results. The parts I was concerned about yesterday were in good shape.

Lots of cleaning on both the M/C and the booster canister, both got painted semi gloss black on one side waiting for it to dry to get the rest.

The vacuum valve rubber valve was in good shape, clean and tested good.

Not much beside the disassembling, cleaning and painting.

I will try to get the M/C hopefully today if not maybe tomorrow. As for the power piston that one will be tackled once everything is back on the M/C, so more to come.

#52 ·
For the weatherstripping, try Rubber the Right Way. USA Parts Supply, Caddy Daddy, Arizona Vintage Parts, and Cadillacs Only should be able to supply you with trim and other parts.

Glad to see you're still hanging in there! Restoring these cars is truely a labor of love, even when you want to kill them for being uncooperative! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.