Couple unfortunate questions 70 Eldo based
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By talismandave
  • 1 Post By 70eldo
  • 1 Post By cadillac kevin
  • 2 Post By DouglasJRizzo
  • 3 Post By talismandave
  • 1 Post By DouglasJRizzo
  • 4 Post By AlphaJustin
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Couple unfortunate questions 70 Eldo based in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've noticed a trend where everyone who needs sheet metal either has to fabricate or use a "close match" panel ...
    AlphaJustin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Eldorado

Couple unfortunate questions 70 Eldo based

I've noticed a trend where everyone who needs sheet metal either has to fabricate or use a "close match" panel for some reason there's a plethora of up to 68 then 71 and newer but nada for the 69/70 Cadillacs not even for the 70 toronado stranger things have happened though I suppose. None the less I have discovered that at some point the gutter that the wiper arms sit in rotted out and started draining to the floor and weakened it to the point there is only 30 gauge good metal left after I stripped the rust to bare metal so it has to go because doing 65 and having the floor drop out is a true nightmare situation.
    --Did anyone ever figure out a good source for body parts or why they don't exist?

I can't for the life of me find the source of the opera lights on my eldorado it's driving me mad because they shouldn't be so hard to find. I'll add a pic just in case someone has seen them before because I need to replace the light covers and I want to rechrome them because I think they look nice. (No one laugh at the picture though i sprayed the roof with black primer so I could see what it'll look like when it has vinyl again so it looks ghetto)

Last thing I've come up short handed on is the wiring diagram for the alarm that got installed at some point. It's the corvette factory alarm with the key hole in the driver fender deal and I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Couple unfortunate questions 70 Eldo based

Those landau bar lights were after factory. You will have a real hard time replacing them. If you love them re-plate is prob the way to go.

I would be looking at every round piece of plastic when in stores and hope to find something that just happens to fit. Then maybe just some small crests mounted on them.
    77CDV likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The 67-70 Eldo body shell should be identical, so a 67 Eldo floor pan should work? And yeah, those landau bars are def aftermarket. Never seen lighted ones before.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

67-70 has never seen high production numbers. You will find body parts mostly in CA and AZ. But since the floor is so flat due to FWD it shouldn't be too complicated to fix that with plate metal, right?

You can find the vinyl top at OPGI.com
    The landau lights are indeed after market. And if you would ask me they don't belong on a coupe.
    77CDV likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    67-70 has never seen high production numbers. You will find body parts mostly in CA and AZ. But since the floor is so flat due to FWD it shouldn't be too complicated to fix that with plate metal, right?
    This is what I'm doing on my toronados. The floor, while not perfectly flat, is flat enough that sheetmetal will work. One of mine has a rust hole from the front windshield leaking, the other has completely shot floors. Someone makes floorpans for the 66-70 toros (which would work for your eldorado), but it costs 1k+ a set and AFAIK you can only buy them in a set.
    70eldo likes this.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Not factory parts. In fact, I'd wager some money those are J.C. Whitney parts circa 1973/74.

Thanks guys sorry haven't had time to check this since I posted. I figured that was the case with the lighted landau bars was just hopeful it wasn't and honestly the fact that they are not common makes me want to save them even more.

As far as the floor goes my thought was yeah it's easy enough to fabricate a floor albeit time consuming but why not try to find accurate repro floors first because rolling accurate beads and bending it just right is going to be a lot of labor when a company can stamp it and be done just being lazy I guess.

Nothing on the alarm wiring though?

All of the appropriate era aftermarket stuff on this car screams keep and restore in my head because it all adds into the car's uniqueness and that's why I accepted the challenge in the first place so again I'm just making things harder on myself.

Thanks again for the responses guys I appreciate the ideas.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You might try to find a car audio forum?
    Back in the day alarm systems were sold by car audio stores. If you find the right forum you could maybe find some old school guys who installed them new for a living?

I know what you mean about keeping the old period correct aftermarket stuff on a car. I know it just grates the nerves of some of the purists, but I enjoy it too. I am sure the guys with 30's and 40's Ford and such went through the same with visors and spotlights!

I still have two old chrome grille caps to fit 71-76 Cadillacs that will some day make it on to something! I still dream of doing a full out pimpmobile some day!

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

That "key in the fender" car alarm is probably the same vintage (and source) as the landau bars.
    During the mid 70s, when the car was early in its life cycle, there was a HUGE wave of "car crime" for things like stolen batteries, carburetors, fuel siphoning, etc. Many cars didn't have any type of theft deterrent system at all. The few that offered it, it was a RARE option. But aftermarket radio shops and suppliers many times had stuff like this.

I remember seeing a Lincoln Mark III and a boat tail Riviera with these systems installed.
    AlphaJustin likes this.

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    You will definitely have to fabricate the floor metal. I searched everywhere when I was going through mine and there is a slight change in the 68-70 years. None of the previous and latter years will fit without modifying which is basic ail fabricating them anyway.

Every reputable shop gave me the same answer. Not enough demand so nobody makes em.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    You will definitely have to fabricate the floor metal. I searched everywhere when I was going through mine and there is a slight change in the 68-70 years. None of the previous and latter years will fit without modifying which is basic ail fabricating them anyway.

Every reputable shop gave me the same answer. Not enough demand so nobody makes em.
    Well that's just plain unfortunate thanks for letting me know.

The thing is ugly and I'd love to just remove it when I repair the fender and if need be put a modern alarm in it with 2 way pager remote. But again it goes back to my appropriate period aftermarket desire. Here's a pic it sticks out like a sore thumb.image.jpg
    70eldo, orconn, CADforce69 and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.