1971 CDV engine part, what is it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1971 CDV engine part, what is it? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As i keep finding mistakes the mechanic has done on my rebuild, yesterday i found yet one more thing unplugged. ...
    imabadczech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1971 Cadillac Coupe Deville

1971 CDV engine part, what is it?

As i keep finding mistakes the mechanic has done on my rebuild, yesterday i found yet one more thing unplugged. Standing by drivers side front tire and looking at engine, on drivers side rear of block there is some type of small screw in thing I am guessing is a sensor? It has a flat piece of metal on top as if something should be plugged on to it. There are no wires of any kind I can find so I don't have much to go on. A bit frustrating. I know the temp light comes on as you turn key on but not sure weather it would if switch was the one in question or not. UGH. I think I will write a long detailed letter to mechanic, send it certified asking how much compensation I should be given for fixing all the mistakes he made.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Re: 1971 CDV engine part, what is it?

I think you are looking at the engine temperature switch. Not the coolant temp switch, but the engine temp switch. It detects the metal temp of the engine. On my '70, I have one there, just like you do. Sitting here now, I can't recall if there is a wire going to it. Take a look on the passenger side, in the front, there may be another of the same sensor there. Imagine if you used the drivers side head on the passenger side. The sensor is in the back on the drivers side, in the front on the passenger side. Mine has wiring to one of the switches, but not both, just can't recall which one is connected. Not sure why I have two sensors, but there are two, but only one is connected to the wiring.

HTH,

Chris.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

If you could post a pic, maybe we could help you better

Here is what I was talking about:
    P1110672.JPG

Here is a pic of it on the passenger side with no connector on it:
    P1110674.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by imabadczech View Post
    ............/ asking how much compensation I should be given for fixing all the mistakes he made.
    No one cares as much as you (or I) about your stuff. I do all I can myself, so if there's a foul up, there's no one to blame but me. Most other people don't give a sh** and half @$$ all they can. We generally see it everyday.

my front one i believe is for the inside fan that comes on prior to engine getting up to temp. I bypassed it and grounded that one so fan is always on very slow. The back one is probably the engine temp but I cannot find the green or black wire that goes to it. He cut so many wires I just am so frustrated.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

I want to say that's the metal temp sensor but I'm not sure. Stupid question but when the key is in the ignition and the door is open does the buzzer sound? I think it is all part of the same circuit. Mine doesn't work and it is on the list of things to do so I read about it a while ago.
    Jeff

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

OPGI has complete engine bay wiring harnesses for sale. That may help to recover?

what is OPGI?

Here's a link. It's a restoration parts supplier.

http://www.opgi.com/restoration-part...g-cadillac.asp

hey guys. That is a cool site. Thanks for that info. Now, another question. I found a cut green wire with a white stripe and figured that goes to that engine metal temp switch on rear drivers side. I found a 68 in a junkyard and thank goodness i did as it still had the green wire with white strip on it. I cut as much as I could off and will be putting it on my car soon. The crazy thing is, when key is in ignition the buzzer sounds and ENG TEMP light is on which i hear is the norm. When I start the car, one of the lights that come on is the WATER TEMP. So, if the water temp switch is the one that i currently have hooked up, and the engine temp switch is not hooked up, would the lights still come on? I am a bit blonde on this one.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

The buzzer should sound when the key is on the ignition lock and driver door open.

It does!

OK, according to shop manual, there should be a green wire with a white stripe off the harness on drivers side that goes to this engine temp switch on drivers side rear block area. I took all tape and covering off wires and there was a solid green wire with no stripe that had been cut. I was thinking maybe that was for the ac solenoid switch I no longer have on car. As I was taping everything back up, the green wire in question hit some metal and I heard a buzz. So, by accident, I found that the solid green wire was indeed the one that goes to the switch on drivers side rear block. The buzzer went off and the ENG TEMP light came on. Unfortunately, to test the wire going to the switch under ac compressor you do not test the same way. According to shop manual u do it a bit differently. So, even though the ENG TEMP light was coming on with key in ignition and door open, that didn't mean the switch was hooked up at all. Now it is and I feel much better.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

My engine temp buzzer goes off, when I leave the keys in and open the door. I think that is intentional.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.