Update. It's been a while.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, Update. It's been a while. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1970 Calais has been through it. It has been flooded, freeze plugs gone, and transmission problems. It cranked up ...
    1970CadillacCalais is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Calais

Update. It's been a while.

My 1970 Calais has been through it. It has been flooded, freeze plugs gone, and transmission problems. It cranked up 2 days after the flooding and was good to go. Only thing that messed up was my radio, two window motors, and relay for my seats. While I was having the freeze plugs taken care of I had all gaskets replaced except head gaskets, new timing set and some other small things. One week later the front pump seal goes out so I have had the transmission rebuilt with a little extra work done also. Proud to say she is running very well and now we are almost ready for make up.

Picked up a better shape trunk lid off a '69, leather heated front seats with headrest from a '62, dashboard from a '69 and also found a towing package on one. Just have to find some front fenders now and figure out how the heated seats are suppose to be wired.
    70eldo, 77CDV and talismandave like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Update. It's been a while.

I never heard of heated seats on a sixties Cadillac.

Well that's the year the guy told me. I'll take a pic of the wires tomorrow if someone can guide me to wiring it.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Heated driver's seat and headrests first became available as options in 1966, I think.

I think the guy had no idea really what year and really didn't know what he should've sold these for. Well tomorrow if weather permits I'm starting the year off with installing the new seats and dashboard once I find out how that is mounted.

----------

The picture file was to big but I did upload a video of it today on YouTube to my Channel Seanwilson1985

Did the dashboard today, even changed it back to where it says Calais not Cadillac. Will do the seats at a later date. Possibly after I get carpet. Decided to probably keep the fenders I have as the antenna that goes through the glass still works. Fenders would cost me $400 for both sides together but may be cheaper to repair. Ill post pics. IMG_7350.JPGIMG_7351.JPGIMG_7352.JPGIMG_7353.JPG
    Attached Images
    70eldo, 77CDV, CADforce69 and 2 others like this.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Congrats for having it back on the road after all that effort

$400 for 2 front fenders??? The cheapest I have found is $495 for each one. If you are not going to take them, could you tell us who is the seller? Iīm looking for a pair too

Vintage cadillac of Arizona has many in stock. They say they ship also. I called them today. I think I'm going to try my luck tomorrow with a metal fabricator. The guy at vintage told me its a straight shot for it being repaired since it's at the bottom of the fenders. So tomorrow I install the new seats and hopefully come home with repaired fenders for $100 as that's what I was quoted. What all are you doing to your caddy?

Thank you for the info Iīll contact Vintage cadillac.

Well... I did to my caddy a lot of things. When I bought it the car had been poorly maintained. The only thing I have not fixed yet is body and engine (the last one seems healthy and strong). Transmission is in good condition too. I had to get front seal and torque converter changed as there was a big tranny fluid leakage. In fact I brought the car home in a 260 miles trip, what was a little foolish as steering and differential were toast, as I learned after... But the caddy took me home.

I opened a restoration thread you may read if you have some time: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...storation.html

Next thing I have to do now is changing fuel pump, trying to fix an oil leak by the front of the oil pan, trying to change front fenders (As they are very rotten under an exploding bondo layer they placed during the last cheap paint job), deleting truck taillights on rear bumper by using a `70 set of moldings (I will use the 1970 reverse lights as turn lights using an orange bulb, as amber turn lights are compulsory in Europe), and changing U-joints in the transmission... Oh, and Iīll have to substitute the inner tie rod ends I changed 6000 miles ago as the Safety Inspection detected they have become loose... I canīt explain why

----------

I emailed them (I think they are these: http://arizonavintageparts.com/) but they answered me that all the ones they have are rusty in the bottom too. I think they sell them as repairable ones? Itīs really difficult finding rustless ones.

When I spoke to him on the phone he said it should be a straight forward job having new metal welded on. I didn't get to go to the machinist today because it took longer than expected to get the seats in.

^Maybe I have to get them repaired (thought they are too rotten) as buying two for $500 each + shipping will cost near 1,400 bucks. The body man I know told me itīs always better installing a rustless one than curing a rusted one, as rust may reappear some day... But I think Iīll have to run the risk.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

They all rust out at the bottom. You just have to cut up beyond the rust, then weld in a patch panel. Should be good for many years to come.

That's why I'm still considering buying some from this guy in town. His look in great shape but will cost me $400 all together. Should I fix the rust or buy the ones in good shape. The. Bottoms are rusted out and slight rust around the market lights

$400 for two good condition fenders is a great price. You just have to switch the old ones for the good ones and paint them. If I had the opportunity I wouldnīt think twice. If you get the old ones fixed youīll have to buy the patches and pay for the work of cutting the rusted part of the fender + welding the patch + sanding the fender + get the fender prepared to be painted (filler, sand, filler again, sanding again..., primer...) Would this cost $400 for both fenders?... That would be different if you had to pay $1000 for both fenders.
    77CDV likes this.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by CADforce69 View Post
    ...(I will use the 1970 reverse lights as turn lights using an orange bulb, as amber turn lights are compulsory in Europe)...
    Not for classics! You can keep it flashing red.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.