1973 deville heater ...need help please..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 70eldo
  • 4 Post By smelvis
  • 1 Post By Warspite
The Classic Cadillac Forum Discussion, 1973 deville heater ...need help please.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i tried turning it on no fan no heat...checked fuse its good and all wires look good hooked up to ...
    ponee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

1973 deville heater ...need help please..

i tried turning it on no fan no heat...checked fuse its good and all wires look good hooked up to heater..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1973 deville heater ...need help please..

Does the car have Automatic Climate Control? Does the blower operate in any switch position, or is it completely dead? If the blower runs in DEF, suspect the blower motor relay located on the relay cluster under the dash over the driver's side foot well. Once the blower motor is working, you can rotate the thermostate to maximum heat and it should roast you out of the car. If not, check for a blocked heater core.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I don't know for 1973, but my 1970 has this vacuum switch for the blower motor. It is located on the back of the blower motor in the RH side of the engine back against the fire wall. It has 4 vacuum lines attached to it. This switch loses the ability to hold vacuum or it just gets too stiff to operate correctly. I have to aid mine and I put a piece of cloth behind the switch to close the switch. This way the blower motor is always running unless I remove that piece of cloth.

I will send it to cadillactim.com next season to have it remanufactured.
    77CDV likes this.

Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    I don't know for 1973, but my 1970 has this vacuum switch for the blower motor. It is located on the back of the blower motor in the RH side of the engine back against the fire wall. It has 4 vacuum lines attached to it. This switch loses the ability to hold vacuum or it just gets too stiff to operate correctly. I have to aid mine and I put a piece of cloth behind the switch to close the switch. This way the blower motor is always running unless I remove that piece of cloth.

I will send it to cadillactim.com next season to have it remanufactured.
    My '66 was obviously jury-rigged. I found a (broken) toggle switch which operates the blower motor. The climate control selector was stiff as a board. White lithium grease spray helped loosen it up a bit, which does now allow air to be directed. When I take the dash apart to replace the gauge cluster, it's an assembly that I'll either have to repair or replace.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

I don't think my 70 Deville has that vacuum switch but it appears the eldorado does. However I think they both have the water temp switch. It does not turn the heat on until the water is warm so you don't have cold air blowing on your feet. Maybe that sensor has gone bad. Does it work in Defrost?

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    The deville does not have a vac switch connected to the blower.

I've been going through my hvac system for months the blower has always worked because it spins even if the switch is off to purge the system.

The blower speed is regulated at the control panel and through the power servo. It seems for my system all problems live at the power servo. I've taken it apart and cleaned it and gotten improved performance but not perfect. I suspect my transducer as well.

Bottom line it take a long methodical approach to DIY these systems but it can be done. I'd start with testing the relay. And work your way from there.

Btw cadillac Tim is great. Reasonable prices and a wealth of knowledge.

----------

Another thing- if you are just looking for heat once you get the blower moving. You can connect the vac feed to the top of the servo to the hot water switch and you will have heat only. That's how Daisy is rigged right now until I get the rest of the bugs out.
    70eldo, 77CDV, Warspite and 1 others like this.

Did Cadillactim change his URL? I was looking for his web site, but got his hosting provider's page instead. Hard to find good subassemblies for '65-'66 on ebay or Craigslist.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Did Cadillactim change his URL? I was looking for his web site, but got his hosting provider's page instead. Hard to find good subassemblies for '65-'66 on ebay or Craigslist.
    Seems to work alright
    http://cadillactim.com/page4.html

Many Thanks! I left off the "page4.html" and when added, I got to the site. I'll be on this one a lot, since not all posters on ebay or Craigslist remove the parts with care!
    70eldo likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.